Is the Galaxy S2 still king?

2»

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Well there's a surprise. Apple owners with one view on life versus the others with a different view.
    Just enjoy your phones folks. It doesn't really matter which is better.....Honestly, it doesn't....Well not to the extent some of you think it is!!;);)
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yes but smartphone isn't all phones, it's a catagory of luxury phones.

Best selling luxury car would be a better comparison to best selling smartphone.

Any other way of measuring best is completely subjective.

Ohh and btw I'm not saying any phone is king but to say the Galaxy S2 is king of smartphones is totally subjective.

Well your reason for the sg2 not being the best was that the iphone4 has sold more and with the logic you have shown that would make it superior. On the basis of that it demonstrates perfectly why the iPhone sells so well... no logical consideration of the relevant features, no consideration of price, its apple therefore it must be the best.

Just out of curiousity in how many ways can you say the iPhone betters the sg2
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I think the OP meant is it still the best phone (in terms of most powerful etc) rather than best selling.

As I think the iphone4S falls slightly short (tech spec wise) of SGS2 then yes it is still 'King' but it will only hold on to it's crown until the next batch of Android devices e.g Nexus Prime are available...
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RAZORBACK wrote: »
    I think the OP meant is it still the best phone (in terms of most powerful etc) rather than best selling.

As I think the iphone4S falls slightly short (tech spec wise) of SGS2 then yes it is still 'King' but it will only hold on to it's crown until the next batch of Android devices e.g Nexus Prime are available...

Do specs really make much difference one you hit 1GHz? If king means that then it's even more worthless than sales. Does that mean king of cars is something like the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport then?

My now old iPhone 4 opens applications in the blink of an eye. And plays really nice looking 3D games, for day to day usage a dual core processor just seems so pointless in a phone to me...

But yes no android phone will stay best spec for long as they pop them out every day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    The SGS2 recently received phone of the year at T3. The design is sleak, the OS isn't half bad and CM7 is finally stable for it. Battery could be better but Samsung saw the light as Super AMOLED Plus is an awesome display.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I'm taking about monthly sales not overall so nothing ignorant about it.

Yes it is.

Your talking about sales. The GS2 was not available in one of the biggest till last month. The US.

So, in short, monthly figures mean nothing. If the OP is talking about speed and the screen for instance, i would say having used both the 4S for days and the S2, then the S2 is still king.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Do specs really make much difference one you hit 1GHz? If king means that then it's even more worthless than sales. Does that mean king of cars is something like the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport then?

My now old iPhone 4 opens applications in the blink of an eye. And plays really nice looking 3D games, for day to day usage a dual core processor just seems so pointless in a phone to me...

But yes no android phone will stay best spec for long as they pop them out every day.

For now I would agree (got a single core Desire S and an original Tab which are more than capable of running stuff today, but as phones get more un-phone like and starting entering what we thought was science fiction, those modest specs are not going to be enough. "Nobody needs more than 640k" might not have been said by Bill Gates, but whoever did got it so wrong.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    If you watch what you are running a little and dont multi task too much 1ghz is fine, was using an SE Arc until recently and it was fine until I really hammered it.

thing with android it can get as cpu intensive as you allow and the SG2 is the first phone i have had that shows no sign of any lag for me thats even before I have overclocked the cpu.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the link its a drop test 4s versus S2.
    http://betanews.com/2011/10/17/which-is-more-likely-to-survive-a-bad-drop-iphone-4s-or-samsung-galaxy-s-ii/

There is something inherently wrong with using glass screens full stop. So I did not even bother to watch the outcome.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    By the link its a drop test 4s versus S2.
    http://betanews.com/2011/10/17/which-is-more-likely-to-survive-a-bad-drop-iphone-4s-or-samsung-galaxy-s-ii/

There is something inherently wrong with using glass screens full stop. So I did not even bother to watch the outcome.

Yeah they all use Gorilla or Dragontrail Glass and it seems to be down to luck if it breaks the screen when you drop it.

Oddly enough the iPhone 4 bumper helps alot as the screen isn't flush with the front of it. But i have seen many people trash their phones on a standard drop be it HTC, Samsung or Apple.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member

Well if an iphone opens apps in the blink of an eye I'm pretty sure the SGS2 can do the same with only half a blink being required;).

I agree that ATM a dual core isn't exactly essential but it does help to future proof your phone (for a little while at least)...
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    RAZORBACK wrote: »
    Well if an iphone opens apps in the blink of an eye I'm pretty sure the SGS2 can do the same with only half a blink being required;).
    That is a waste of processing speed as half a blink would leave you with your eyes closed. :D
  • Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a standard HTC Desire which is now out of contract and I think its a great phone... I got my wife a samsung SG2 about 4 months ago - and my daughter has an Iphone4

so we have a good selection to play with LOL

out of the 3 the Samsung is the one I like best is just works so well and the screen is the best I have ever seen