Dodgy iPhone 4 Home Button - What Would You Do?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
Forum Member
I've owned an iPhone 4 for almost a year now. Over the last few months, the Home button has become increasingly temperatmental. Sometimes it does not do anything, sometimes it will do a double-click instead of a single (and vice versa), sometimes it will work perfectly. It appears to happen at random and there does not seem to be any reason for it.

From what I gather it is a common fault, with lots of people experiencing the same symptoms. There are also lots of "solutions" out there, most of which I've tried, ranging from blowing into the connector at the bottom through to various button combinations to "recalibrate" the button.

As you might have gathered, none of these have worked.

i genuinely think it is a hardware problem, as I had a mouse button, which befell a similar fate. So, I'm wondering what to do?

Some people have recommended taking the phone instore to the Genius bar where they may replace it. Has anyone else done this? Is a replacement likely? The nearest store (Sheffield) is 60 miles away, so I don't want to waste my time.

I could send it in for repair with Apple but I believe this could take a long time and that they may send a refurbished model, which I rather not have.

Another alternative is contacting Tesco (my network provider), although I'm not sure what their policy is on repairs.

Any advice or other suggestions? My warranty expires in a week's time so I really need to make my mind up sharpish!

Comments

• x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine started doing this after one of the updates. Just updated to iOS5 and it's sorted, working fine now! :) With me it was a bug on the OS, nothing to do with the handset. I thought it was just cos I use my phone a hell of alot but it's apparently a common problem.
  • Kingsd316Kingsd316 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Book and appointment at the apple store (genius bar) and they will replace it there and then if its in warranty, and will prob still replace it even if its not!
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'd start by calling whoever sold you the phone and see if they can replace it for you. if they fix it it will save you an 80 mile trip

if you do go the apple route, make an appointment in advance at the store or they might not see you. the apple store will typically replace it on the spot for you
  • on the airon the air Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have IOS5, go to settings, general, accessibility, and switch Assisitve toucvh on, this gives you an onscreen virtual home button.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I've made an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to reproduce the problem, and hopefully they'll do something about it.

If they decide to replace it, does anyone know whether it will be a new replacement or a refurbished model? Obviously I'd prefer a new one...

If there's no joy at the Apple Store, then I'll send it back to Tesco. Apparently, you send it away to them and they'll "repair" it within 10 days. Again, not sure if that means an actual repair, a refurbished model or a new replacement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's under warranty, so they'll usually replace it with a brand new one.

I'd advise you to get your phone software up to date and do a full backup and sync. This will make it much easier for you to restore all of your contacts, apps, music, calendars, texts etc to your new phone.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's under warranty, so they'll usually replace it with a brand new one.

Apple DOES NOT usually give new iPhone replacements out to people.

You'll get a re-manufactured iPhone as a replacement from the "Genius" bar.

I posted this on another forum a while ago explaining the difference between a refurbished iPhone and a re-manufactured iPhone:

"Refurbished" isn't really the correct term to use.

Apple gives out "Remanufactured" iPhones. It sounds like marketing fluff, but it's actually quite different from refurbishing a device.

Apple basically takes a faulty iPhone (like you might do with a device you were going to refurbish), but they put all of the working components into a new external case (so it should have NO cosmetic damage or wear/tear) and fit a new battery into the device. Any faulty components are not transferred and the device is thoroughly tested.

Generally with a refurbished device the manufacturer only fixes whatever was broken in the original device, meaning that you end up with a battery that might be in poorer condition or a device that has cosmetic damage from the previous owner.

Apple tends to have quite high satisfaction rates with these replacement devices because of this
  • richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Kingsd316 wrote: »
    Book and appointment at the apple store (genius bar) and they will replace it there and then if its in warranty, and will prob still replace it even if its not!

That is not always the case. I had the same problem as the OP a few months ago.

I made a 240 mile round trip to my nearest Apple store which is in Cardiff. They tried the phone and 'sods law' the damn thing worked properly for the first time in ages. The apple guy said it was a common problem, but then noticed that there was only 3 weeks left on my warranty and basically accused me of trying to pull a fast one by trying to get a new phone!

They said to come back if it did it again, no way was I going to make that trip again for nothing. Sure enough as soon as I got home it started to play up again.

Luckily my contract was up a few weeks later. I've now upgraded to a SGS2.

Bye bye Apple, so much for their legendary customer service!
  • Kopite76Kopite76 Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    David this happened to mine. I sent it back to Apple and they gave me a new handset FOC and the turnaround time was 3 days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Just to update you, I made the trip to the Apple Store in Sheffield this evening. Despite making an appointment, I waited ages for a 'genius' to become free - the place was heaving.

Eventually got to see someone. Thankfully, they were able to reproduce the problem straight away and issued me with a replacement phone with any further questions. He noticed that I only had 3 days left of my warranty but didn't have a problem with that. He even offered to replace my USB cable which had become a bit frayed.

I asked if it the replacement phone was refurbished and he said it could be, or it could be brand new. He said something along the lines of what Daveoc64 has put above - basically, if it is "refurbished" only internal parts are recycled - the outer casing, the battery, as well as the serial number and IMEI are brand new. And I am happy to report it is in perfect condition and works a treat. Oh, and I get another 90 days of warranty.

I am very happy with the support from Apple!
  • richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I'm glad you had a good result David. :)