The problem of upside down iPhone videos

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
I don't know if people are generally aware but if you take a video with an iPhone and in the immortal words "you are holding it wrong" then when uploaded to a computer it plays fine with an Apple media player such as Quicktime but anything else such as VLC plays it upside down. The right way to hold it is with the Home button on the right, but as I am left handed I naturally hold it the other way.
Does anyone know the best software for re-orientating it ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This seems odd because, although I agree that the Home button on the right is the natural way to turn it for a right-handed person, Apple are quite keen for people to use it the way you describe. The 'volume up' button can only really be used as a shutter release if you hold it the way round that you do.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    This seems odd because, although I agree that the Home button on the right is the natural way to turn it for a right-handed person, Apple are quite keen for people to use it the way you describe. The 'volume up' button can only really be used as a shutter release if you hold it the way round that you do.

You're right. I came across the same comment elsewhere, although I think to be fair one is far more likely to use the button for still photos than videos.
    I guess what is really the case though is that Apple in their usual walled garden approach are well aware of the problem but as long as it works with Apple apps, that's all that matters. I believe there is some meta data which triggers the player to do the right thing.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I was wondering what was wrong when half my holiday videos last year when i had my 4S were upside down!!

Never fixed it so would like to know as well :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm struggling to recreate this issue. I just took a video in the 'upside down' format (with the buttons at the top and the on-screen shutter button on the left). I played it using the standard Windows 8 video player, and then I imported it into Sony Vegas editing software. It played correctly both times.

Maybe this isn't an Apple issue after all?
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Movie maker will flip the videos for you.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm struggling to recreate this issue. I just took a video in the 'upside down' format (with the buttons at the top and the on-screen shutter button on the left). I played it using the standard Windows 8 video player, and then I imported it into Sony Vegas editing software. It played correctly both times.

Maybe this isn't an Apple issue after all?

There is a metadata flag which can be set for the rotation. Apple use this flag but some s/w don't read and interpret the flag so display upside down.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is there no way of flippinf it in the editor