AV Amps

EDIT: mean a AV receiver

am after an AV receiver with HDMI and a couple of optical in (3 if poss). can anyone recommend one under £300-£350?

also, is it true that there are new sound formats coming out this year due to the HD revloution? if so, is it worth waiting till then?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    you should look for hdmi in which can handle 1.3

that will handle the new sounds

so 2 or 3 HDMI inputs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    1.3? is that the new version / way of carrying the signal or is it a way of decoding?

Same cables etc?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    GazWhitu wrote: »
    1.3? is that the new version / way of carrying the signal or is it a way of decoding?

Same cables etc?

It's just a later spec, it's probably of no real use, but may give slightly improved performance in the future - but probably won't ever have a source that's good enough anyway?.
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sony STRDA1200ES has had some incredibly good reviews, and is right on your budget too.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: mean a AV receiver

am after an AV receiver with HDMI and a couple of optical in (3 if poss). can anyone recommend one under £300-£350?

also, is it true that there are new sound formats coming out this year due to the HD revloution? if so, is it worth waiting till then?
    The only range of receivers I know of at the moment that are fully compatible with all the new HD sound formats including Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA is the Onkyo range. I believe the release dates are July/August.

Slightly above your budget but well worth the money.

Onkyo TX-SR605

Rear view and connections can be found here....

http://www.avland.co.uk/onkyo/txsr605/txsr605.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    cheers chaps. nice food for thought there!
  • suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Onkyo S674 (new lowered price) is well within your budget, which is capable of accepting True HD / MA etc via HDMI if your source capable of decoding :)
    cheers chaps. nice food for thought there!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I went to Creative Audio in Shrewsbury (whilst on holiday near there..I live in Cumbria) for a demo of a Yamaha AV amplifier (about £1000) which I had decided had the best specification in theory. I was very disappointed with the sound especially on CDs. I was then demo'd an Arcam AR350( made in the UK) which was slightly more expensive but the sound was just incredible. Arcam make cheaper AV systems too.Moral of the story is try and get to actually listen to your choices if you can. Creative Audio was great with the demos and have package deals which match most internet searches. :)