Downton Abbey - ITV1

Comments

• dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes another great hour tonight :)
    Glad theres a second series on the way..
  • Caro07Caro07 Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Lady Mary ! Such a bitch , but with a heart .Edith is my bugbear , now there is one jealous cow .
    I love the Dad , he reads them like a book .
    Aww Anna and Mr Bates . awwww .
    This series is terrific . I love it . Bring on some more , cant wait .

Exactly, there is nothing nice about Edith, she is willing to turn her own sister in on the word of an evil maid and an unintelligent (and highly suggestable) girl.

She overheard the conversation between Mary and her mother, so she should at least have talked to her.

In the trailer for next week Mary seemed to show genuine concern for Sibyll.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Lady Mary, she a bitch, but you can tell see really likes Matthew. Also, you can tell underneath she's just scared, plus I always I love a good bitch :D. I can't be doing with Thomas and O'Brien, it's not even a love to hate thing, it's just hate.

Can't believe there's only two episodes left, the last one is 90 minutes again, hopefully it's better than the first, which was a poor opener to a absolutely brilliant series.

I don't mind Thomas, but ooh... that O'Brien one! :mad:

Edith is a bit of a drip, but I do feel sorry for her. Sybil is definitely my favourite out of the three sisters.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marvola45 wrote: »

Edith is a bit of a drip, but I do feel sorry for her. Sybil is definitely my favourite out of the three sisters.

Sybil is lovely, and so much prettier than the other two!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved tonights episode, does anybody know what Bates is hiding, might find out next week shows them kissing.:)
  • abercrombieabercrombie Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Shades of "Mrs Miniver For those of us old enough to remember the film.

That's it!! Thanks for that. I was wracking my brain trying to remember where that scene was from. Thanks smude!!!
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mathews mother is getting on my t!ts now , Right little busy body .( and I keep thinking she should live under the floorboards anyway )
    Maggie Smith is gloriously snobby , I love her .
    I think Edith is a little shit stirring wagon .I like Sybil , Love Cora , and Lady Mary is glorious , bitchy , catty and vulnerable and sweet ,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    That's it!! Thanks for that. I was wracking my brain trying to remember where that scene was from. Thanks smude!!!

Just about to say that meself with Dame May Whitty playing Lady Beldon.

It also looked like the costume department had raided Berman's & Nathan's for one of the Ascot outfits from My Fair Lady for the Countess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    Guess who's going to win again this year!!!

Ahhhh, she was magnanimous - she's got a heart after all. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Caro07 wrote: »
    I think Edith is worse than Mary because she is so sly.

What kind of person would turn in their own sister to face possible execution, goes well beyond simple sibling rivalry

Yes you're right she is worse but for some reason I enjoy watching her more than Mary! I'm not sure why I can't take to Mary, there's still time for me to warm to her though so we'll see. :)

I agree that Sybil is my favourite of all the sisters. She's just so nice, she takes after her lovely papa and mama it seems. The other two must take after their granny. :p

I love Violet, Robert and Cora, Mrs Hughes, O'Brien:eek: and Mr Carson. They're my favourites in the show so far.
    Forum Member

I remember!! ;)
    Forum Member
    Mrs Patmore's poor sight has been heading our way for a couple of weeks now.

Her treatment of Daisy is redolent of Mrs. Bridge's treatment of poor Ruby in Upstairs Downstairs and the salt/sugar confusion reminded me of Ruby's mistake when she thought Mrs. Bridges wanted her to use bitter rather than butter in a recipe.

There's nothing new under the sun, is there?
    Forum Member
    Well, that were ruddy brilliant... again! I love this series!

Yes, me too.

The hour always seems to speed by though - wish it were on for longer.
    Forum Member
    Castanet wrote: »
    I remember!! ;)

And both characters played by Dames - May Whitty and Maggie Smith! Snap!
    Forum Member
    dwiseman wrote: »
    Yes another great hour tonight :)
    Glad theres a second series on the way..

Ooooh, is there really?
  • wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marvola45 wrote: »

Sybil is lovely, and I do like her, but I find Mary a much more interesting character.
  • AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, there's only one thing wrong with DA - the hour (less ads) seems to just speed by! ;)

So pleased to hear there's to be another series! :D
    Forum Member
    Aida wrote: »
    For me, there's only one thing wrong with DA - the hour (less ads) seems to just speed by! ;)

So pleased to hear there's to be another series! :D

And a series with just 7 episodes is not really long enough - in the old days this would have been 13 episodes. Shame.
  • CamelopardisCamelopardis Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    goldiloks wrote: »
    Loved tonights episode, does anybody know what Bates is hiding, might find out next week shows them kissing.:)

I'm guessing that whatever injuries he received during the Boer War included more than his leg :(
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing that whatever injuries he received during the Boer War included more than his leg :(

nasty...or perhaps there's a Mrs. Bates lurking in the undergrowth nearby
    Forum Member
    I remember!! ;)

but perhaps Fellowes would rather we hadn't!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sybil is lovely, and I do like her, but I find Mary a much more interesting character.
    Exactly, Mary is much more interesting (and a much better actress!) Sybil is a bit too perky/happy/perfect all the time. She's a bit Mary Sue-ish and could do with some layers and fallibility.
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lovinluka wrote: »
    Exactly, Mary is much more interesting (and a much better actress!) Sybil is a bit too perky/happy/perfect all the time. She's a bit Mary Sue-ish and could do with some layers and fallibility.
    Aw, Sybil is just the lovely baby of the family - sweet and kind and perfect, the youngest and best of the 3 sisters.

Just like all youngest of 3 sisters ... I'm the youngest of 3 sisters ... ;)
    Forum Member
    I remember!! ;)
    williamh wrote: »
    but perhaps Fellowes would rather we hadn't!

Quite possibly not ...........;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dimsie wrote: »
    Aw, Sybil is just the lovely baby of the family - sweet and kind and perfect, the youngest and best of the 3 sisters.

Just like all youngest of 3 sisters ... I'm the youngest of 3 sisters ... ;)

Hehe! I'm sure you're more multi dimensional than Sybil is, though!

It's just the perfect oh-so-sweet younger sister character trope who just wants to be nice and good and true to everyone... kind of makes me want to barf. No one in real life is that one-dimensional, so it makes for a boring character, I feel.