Options

Two minutes silence - THIS MORNING

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
:mad:Was anyone watching This Morning's coverage of the two minutes silence ?
They showed soldiers in Colchester.
The soldiers were standing, CHATTING AND HAVING A LAUGH during the silence :eek::mad:
Unbelievable

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if it's possible they weren't live? Seems a bit odd to me.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it - quite surprising indeed. Surely they knew they were being filmed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to cause offence but I don't think it's illegal not to observe the silence is it?
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    Not to cause offence but I don't think it's illegal not to observe the silence is it?

As has been discussed in the GD forum, they were representing the army live on tv.they should have respected the silence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Just posted in General discussion thread

Utter shambles :mad::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    As has been discussed in the GD forum, they were representing the army live on tv.they should have respected the silence.

Oh I do see that point (and haven't been down to GD yet was actually looking for the Apprentice forum :o), I'm just thinking that most people get very angry about "not respecting the 2 min silence" and I think it's a bit unfair, whoever you are or work for. To be honest, if it was live then they should of made some effort so not to offend viewers but if it was their personal choice not to observe it nobody could make them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They were in Colchester though, so should have observed the silence at 11 am GMT
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I think they more than anyone appreciate what the army does considering they are IN the army so I don't think it was disrespect...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    They were in Colchester though, so should have observed the silence at 11 am GMT

Agreed.
  • Options
    jenailsajenailsa Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed that too but it must have just been a simple mix up with timing. Let's not get worked up about it.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think whoever was behind the camera/directing the broadcast must have given them some indication that they were going to be seen.
  • Options
    SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenailsa wrote: »
    I noticed that too but it must have just been a simple mix up with timing. Let's not get worked up about it.

I agree - I don't believe they would have been deliberately disrespectful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there was a slight delay on the live broadcast?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, I didn't see the whole thing, my apologies, I thought they were showing shots from soldiers abroad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't see the whole thing, my apologies, I thought they were showing shots from soldiers abroad.

They showed various places, war memorials, towns such as Wootten Basset, then Colchester, where the soldiers were on parade, all stood in rows, and all having a good old natter, right in the middle. not sure where the cameras went after that, as I was fuming too much!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    The only thing I noticed, other than that Big Ben through Freeview on my TV was four seconds late on BBC 1, was the self-important dignitaries in Northern Ireland strutting around during the silence. God knows what they thought they were doing.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They showed various places, war memorials, towns such as Wootten Basset, then Colchester, where the soldiers were on parade, all stood in rows, and all having a good old natter, right in the middle. not sure where the cameras went after that, as I was fuming too much!

If they cut to Colchester isn't the most likely explaination that, for whatever reason, the signal for the start of the two minutes hadn't yet been given there?
    If you saw the signal given and it was ignored you'd be right to be angry but I find it very unlikely that a large group of the military would be so deliberatly disrespectful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The whole mood of the 'parade' should have bene sombre though, if ti was before or after what they thought was the 2 minute silence, then why the banter, nattering,and general muttering?? coudl they not just keep still and quiet for a few minutes as they were on tv representing the army?
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    i thought itwas odd too...but assumed it was a timing issue. They had shots from other places too & the end of the silence finished at different times
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a nasty stench of intolerance starting to rise around Remembrance Day. Fuelled by the sanctimonious tabloid trash-rags like the Mail, Express, Sun et al, which heap abuse on anyone seen without a poppy, or daring to do anything but stand rigidly to attention during the two-minute silence.

And then you get this sort of thing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9176350.stm

So wearing a poppy is no longer an indication of individual choice, it's become a corporate decision. And that is wrong.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    There's a nasty stench of intolerance starting to rise around Remembrance Day. Fuelled by the sanctimonious tabloid trash-rags like the Mail, Express, Sun et al, which heap abuse on anyone seen without a poppy, or daring to do anything but stand rigidly to attention during the two-minute silence.

And then you get this sort of thing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9176350.stm

So wearing a poppy is no longer an indication of individual choice, it's become a corporate decision. And that is wrong.

The Celtic story is an interesting one and has gone largely unreported in the English media. But I agree with Glengavel there is an element of ''name and shame'' those not wearing poppies when it must always be an individual decision.
  • Options
    colinbcolinb Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Surely wars were fought to protect democracy. In a democracy no-one is forced to wear a poppy or observe silences and can join the BNP if they so wish, however much it offends people who do the opposite... You have as much right to be offended as they have to make those choices.
  • Options
    ArcticFoxArcticFox Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    You were fuming that the people that actually go out, fight, and die for this country were talking?

Maybe you need to pop a chill pill or join the army yourself?
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my 80s childhood, we never used to have a 2mins silence at school. It's only in the last ten or fifteen years that this has become "popular" once again. It is getting very sanctimonious and finger-pointing. Mind you, I don't approve of applauding a hearse, so what do I know ?!

I would have thought that the one place that would always observe it would be in the armed forces, so uniformed soldiers in Colchester not playing their part seems wrong. I don't see why TV would have been showing time delayed film.
  • Options
    RandyRandy Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was driving at 11am today and was listening to the start of the silence on 5 Live.. so I thought i`d scan through all the stations I could pick up... every station had the 2 minutes silence.. except for one channel.. 963 medium wave. Which I believe is "Asian Sound Radio"

Funny that !! :mad::mad: