Do you think less of a person if they are unemployed?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    There is that too. People are just so quick to judge. Nobody knows what a person is really going through, feeling, thinking, what psychological issues they may have. In a way I can relate to you also as my own lack of confidence could have easily prevented me from ever working - it was a real effort to force myself out there. Not everybody is so strong ......

Indeed they're not. With someone I know, it only came out why he'd hidden himself away from the world with alchohol for years, when he tried to kill himself and his whole family. After that the inner torment he was in all came out. However, soon afterwards he came into a huge inheritance, and never needed to work again. But his wife said she was only happy about that because every time he'd to tried work in the past he'd got so paranoid and so reliant upon alchohol that it was horrific for the family. He simply had huge mental health problems, which he'd kept bottled up.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Dolls wrote: »
    Not really to be totally honest, but I know I've no right to judge other people's lives and families. But as a reaction which involves understanding and emotion, no, full time fathers don't sit easy with me.

So it's okay for someone to be a full time mother bringing up the children, but not a full time father who brings up the children.

I'm sorry, I can't agree with that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    If your in 40s and haven't made it in life ,when are you?

If they're happy in life, maybe they have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Depends what age you were , I would have more sympathy for a unemployed 25 year still at home with mum and dad.. Then someone in their forties who's in try same position.. If your in 40s and haven't made it in life ,when are you?

They might have done a lot you don't know about. And life doesn't end at 40 or 50 or any age, it's always a gift a person can do something with. There've been lots of achievements later in life. Indeed in the past women sometimes had to wait for what was referred to as dead men's shoes to start their life.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I find that quiet a sad perspective and mindset of life to have.

Why have you changed your comment?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    So it's okay for someone to be a full time mother bringing up the children, but not a full time father who brings up the children.

I'm sorry, I can't agree with that?

Well obviously that's okay. But I can't know or understand everybody's situations and don't have a right to judge. I don't understand it, and therefore I can't admire it. Generally speaking.

I think a lot depends upon the age of children. Babies and young children belong with their mother, generally speaking,, in my view. Older children, well maybe Dad is a fab educator, comforter, role model - that's different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    If they're happy in life, maybe they have.

Good point.
  • James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I handed in my 4 week notice in December so my current status is unemployed. Hopefully it shouldn't take too long to find another job, and in the meantime I have 2 month's pay to come. Fingers crossed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    James_May wrote: »
    I handed in my 4 week notice in December so my current status is unemployed. Hopefully it shouldn't take too long to find another job, and in the meantime I have 2 month's pay to come. Fingers crossed.

Good luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No

Good luck. If a job is really wrong for you it is best to leave and look for another rather than let it affect you very negatively.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think your supposed to get another job whilst your still in your old one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I think your supposed to get another job whilst your still in your old one

Ideally yes but I think there's always times when a person just needs to leave, such as bullying by a boss which has got out of hand or whatever.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Do you think less of a person if they are unemployed?
    U96 wrote: »
    By choice,yes.
    By circumstances,no.

Excellent response which means I have to vote No to cover both
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    No
    of course i wouldn't judge someone because of that, i just treat people how they treat me and others
    There is that too. People are just so quick to judge. Nobody knows what a person is really going through, feeling, thinking, what psychological issues they may have. In a way I can relate to you also as my own lack of confidence could have easily prevented me from ever working - it was a real effort to force myself out there. Not everybody is so strong ......

people judge without hearing or wanting to hear the facts, they have decided they are going to judge you and thats that, even when you explain the situation they say your just making excuses so you cannot win either way, that is why i sometimes prefer animals to humans, animals don't judge

that is why i like animals more than people sometimes, they dont judge
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Depends why, for how long, how often and what they do while unemployed. Most of us will have a bit of bad luck once or twice and it can sometimes take a couple of months to get a new job. But someone who keeps getting the push and takes ages to get a new job is going to lose some respect from me unless they use their time to do volunteer work or improve themselves.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    A lot of variables, for example if someone had been sacked due to gross misconduct such as sexual harassment or thieving then yes I may, but overall I voted no.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    Having found myself unemployed a couple of years ago after a 25 year career, i know exactly how bad the economy is and how few proper employment there is, so no, i don't think less of the unemployed.

those who choose to be unemployed are a very small and negligible minority so i don't even consider them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    Andrue wrote: »
    Depends why, for how long, how often and what they do while unemployed. Most of us will have a bit of bad luck once or twice and it can sometimes take a couple of months to get a new job. But someone who keeps getting the push and takes ages to get a new job is going to lose some respect from me unless they use their time to do volunteer work or improve themselves.

Took me 2 years to find a job after redundancy, and i was looking on pretty much a full time basis. In terms of voluntary work, that was my plan until the job centre told me that i would be considered unavailable for work if i did.
  • ProvenceJaneProvenceJane Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the question is simplistic (no offence). There are all kinds of reasons for being unemployed. Housewives are technically unemployed, usually an agreement between them and their husbands/partners that one should be the breadwinner, one the home-maker. Nothing wrong in that.

I look down on people who are fit, do not work and rely long term on the State (taxpayer) to keep them.

I don't look down upon people who are too unwell to work, who are too rich to have to work and those who have lost their jobs, are trying to seek re-employment but need the temporary safety net until they get back on their feet of welfare.
  • Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    My fella was unemployed for 2 months. Was made redundant from a job right before Christmas (5 years ago) all that was available were Christmas temp jobs at that time. The job centre was shocking. He wanted long term job but the seem hell bent on him taking a 16 hour Christmas job in Argos/boots type shop. He held out and got a full time job (comet of all places lol) if you knew hard my fella was looking for jobs it was heart breaking. On the other hand my brother has never had a job! Lazy assed no good idol layabout. His excuse was he was waiting for something to come along. Lord knows why the job centre gives him JSA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the question is simplistic (no offence). There are all kinds of reasons for being unemployed. Housewives are technically unemployed, usually an agreement between them and their husbands/partners that one should be the breadwinner, one the home-maker. Nothing wrong in that.

I look down on people who are fit, do not work and rely long term on the State (taxpayer) to keep them.

I don't look down upon people who are too unwell to work, who are too rich to have to work and those who have lost their jobs, are trying to seek re-employment but need the temporary safety net until they get back on their feet of welfare.

^ This
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No

Nothing wrong with it as you say, but a housewife/husband is not technically or actually unemployed in the context of the thread. Likewise, neither are millionaire's partners. Being unemployed is dependent upon whether you need a job to live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I think the question is simplistic (no offence). There are all kinds of reasons for being unemployed. Housewives are technically unemployed .

They're not technically classed as unemployed actually, they're classed as economically inactive.

No offense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The thing is, it's all very well stating 'oh I don't if it's no fault of their own'.

But how many folk lump pretty much most unemployed in the 'it's their own fault, they choose etc' category.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The thing is, it's all very well stating 'oh I don't if it's no fault of their own'.

But how many folk lump pretty much most unemployed in the 'it's their own fault, they choose etc' category.

12 percent according to your poll so far.