Options

the kate bush appreciation thread

Comments

• Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was heavily into New Wave at the time so missed out on several of her albums altogether, but I've just heard The Dreaming and it is astounding.

Hounds Of Love is great up to and including track 6 - the brilliant Dream Of Sheep, but what just about turned me off the rest of the album was the song with that ill-advised effect that made it sound as if the CD was skipping. That was atrocious.

Then I tried The Red Shoes, which I actually thought was awful. A lot of it is due to the horribly dated 1980's production and some seriously cheesy synth sounds. In fact there were only two decent tracks on it – the last track and track 2, although Eric Clapton's guitar makes it sound like a lot of the cringe-worthy American rock ballads from that period.
  • Options
    digit aldigit al Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I was heavily into New Wave at the time so missed out on several of her albums altogether, but I've just heard The Dreaming and it is astounding.

Hounds Of Love is great up to and including track 6 - the brilliant Dream Of Sheep, but what just about turned me off the rest of the album was the song with that ill-advised effect that made it sound as if the CD was skipping. That was atrocious.

Then I tried The Red Shoes, which I actually thought was awful. A lot of it is due to the horribly dated 1980's production and some seriously cheesy synth sounds. In fact there were only two decent tracks on it – the last track and track 2, although Eric Clapton's guitar makes it sound like a lot of the cringe-worthy American rock ballads from that period.

http://youtu.be/ebtq2klguvY
    Play it loud and enjoy:D
    There's some great writing and great stuff on the red shoes but I don't think it quite worked as Kate envisaged. The tracks from red shoes that she reworked on director's cut are sublime and obviously how Kate heard them in her head but wasn't able to produce at that time in her life. By anybody else's best standards it's a good album.
    I'm glad you like the Dreaming......best played loud through headphones :)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read this while trying to find out if one song on The Dreaming contained a snatch of Robert Fripp guitar, but could find no reference to it. Sounded like him though.
    http://thequietus.com/articles/09945-kate-bush-the-dreaming
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

Of your three points:

1) Agree fully. The Dreaming is a piece of art that should be preserved for thousands of years. Out of the 2000-odd albums I own it is permanently in the top two.

2) Hmmm, I can see where you're coming from but there is a reason behind that extreme, square-wave vibrato thing. If you really want to be offended by anything on Hounds of Love then it should be that bloody fretless bass. Inexcusable.

3) One thing you have to say about Kate is that she has always been very up to date in her production. Unfortunately this isn't necessarily a good thing as evidenced by the aforementioned fretless bass, the autotune on The Directors Cut and the general sound on The Red Shoes. When you look beyond the cliches however there are some bloody good songs on that album. Especially when you hear them live.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of your three points:

1) Agree fully. The Dreaming is a piece of art that should be preserved for thousands of years. Out of the 2000-odd albums I own it is permanently in the top two.

2) Hmmm, I can see where you're coming from but there is a reason behind that extreme, square-wave vibrato thing. If you really want to be offended by anything on Hounds of Love then it should be that bloody fretless bass. Inexcusable.

3) One thing you have to say about Kate is that she has always been very up to date in her production. Unfortunately this isn't necessarily a good thing as evidenced by the aforementioned fretless bass, the autotune on The Directors Cut and the general sound on The Red Shoes. When you look beyond the cliches however there are some bloody good songs on that album. Especially when you hear them live.

Bizarely, i've now 'embraced' the fretless bass.... I think it's cos a listen to alot of Japanese/west coast jazz?!!

I'm shocked that Kate has used autotune though! Honestly?:confused:
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Bizarely, i've now 'embraced' the fretless bass.... I think it's cos a listen to alot of Japanese/west coast jazz?!!

Only as an effect on The Directors Cut, rather than for pitch correction (I hope).

Still, just the sound of it is enough to make my teeth itch. I can't even watch that insurance advert with the bloody robot because of it.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    When you look beyond the cliches however there are some bloody good songs on that album. Especially when you hear them live.

Ah yes, I was there too. :cool:

Now, if she'd just extract the digit, we might get to see and hear 'Before the Dawn' on DVD. No idea why it's taking so long, for material that can only be tinkered with so much. It's not as if she can re-record anything without totally missing the point of a live recording.

All together now "Why are we waiting."
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Only as an effect on The Directors Cut, rather than for pitch correction (I hope).
    Haven't listened for a while, not such a big fan of Directors Cut, but wasn't autotune effect only used on Bertie's voice in Deeper Understanding when he was the computer?

Hey digit al, I'm still alive, hope you're ok! We've posted everything in this thread, so it's hard to think of something new, so, hey, let's have this very good attempt at recreating the white dress Wuthering and Babooshka, but, as always, however good the intent, not really getting anywhere near it! hah :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSLZZoQyRbA
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm bought. :) Wow! ;-)

Acquired KB's first 2 albums. 'The Kick Inside' is sublime.
    'Come up and be a ki-i-i-ite!' :D
  • Options
    cambs1965cambs1965 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK! Just where in bloody hell is the dvd?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate herself has never even hinted that there would be a DVD:(
    all we have is the internet rumour that seats were vacated to make way for filming but i suppose the other, most likely, possibility is that Kate didn't like the final cuts and put the tin hat on the whole idea. Hope i'm wrong of course.

hey Zounds,
    when i hear the door creak open on this thread i always look to see if its you with another little 'net gem' i've not seen before. hope yer well:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you think it will be a new track on songs for Tibet 2 ? it would be great if Kate dedicated wild man to the Dalai Lama:D
  • Options
    cambs1965cambs1965 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digit al wrote: »
    all we have is the internet rumour that seats were vacated to make way for filming but i suppose the other, most likely, possibility is that Kate didn't like the final cuts and put the tin hat on the whole idea. Hope i'm wrong of course.

It wasn't a rumour, seats were removed and it was filmed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It wasn't a rumour, seats were removed and it was filmed.

then there's still hope it'll emerge then and hope i suppose for those fans do didn't manage to get a ticket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you think it will be a new track on songs for Tibet 2 ? it would be great if Kate dedicated wild man to the Dalai Lama:D

I was joking about wild man but it seems this is indeed the song chosen, lets hope it's a rework at least:)
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was joking about wild man but it seems this is indeed the song chosen, lets hope it's a rework at least:)

Doesn't look like it, typical that it's only Kate that has no [Remix]:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/songsfortibet

"The Book Of My Life" [Remix] by Sting
    "Signal To Noise" [Remix] by Peter Gabriel
    "Wild Man" by Kate Bush

Really don't know what to say about this one :o:o

Sister Mantos - Wuthering Heights Cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlvh5vT8lZo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zounds wrote: »
    Doesn't look like it, typical that it's only Kate that has no [Remix]:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/songsfortibet

"The Book Of My Life" [Remix] by Sting
    "Signal To Noise" [Remix] by Peter Gabriel
    "Wild Man" by Kate Bush

Really don't know what to say about this one :o:o

Sister Mantos - Wuthering Heights Cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlvh5vT8lZo

Stephen W. Tayler, who mixed the original track for the 50 Words For Snow album, tells katebushnews.com that: “…it’s the original mix with an added layer that makes it subtly different and beautiful. I advise to check the iTunes previews when they appear before making a judgement. That’s all I can say!”

Might have been a tinkering after all, Still don't know what to think of this though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.facebook.com/katebushnews/posts/1106216509408401

Psychoacoustics? well here's hoping it's a decent auditory sensation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Widely reported to be released on the 6th but not a sniff of it on iTunes.
    There's a preview on pledgemusic.com, but too short to make me part with money, yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Indeed. Considering it's obviously too much trouble to put out a 'Before the Dawn' DVD, or even communicate what the big delay is about, there's no chance of more dates. I love KB's music, but the woman is a pain in the arse, sometimes.
  • Options
    confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.katebushnews.com/wp-content/uploads/kate_david_aerial.jpeg

I love this picture.

so who bought the re-shimmered wild man track? I can't say i'm blown away although i love the original, maybe my expectations were too high.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    confuddled wrote: »
    so who bought the re-shimmered wild man track?

Not me. I won't be buying anything else until she gets her finger out with regard to the 'Before the Dawn' DVD.

All KB fans are used to waiting, and many of us waited 35 years to see her perform on-stage again. But what gets my goat is the sheer lack of communication. I mean, she can't be so busy hobnobbing with Stephen Fry and Elton that there's no time to issue a brief statement. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's well over a year now since the Before The Dawn shows, and no one seems to have heard anything about the DVD. As a fan of KB's music - but not necessarily the person - I just don't get this silence.

Surely at some point, KB could issue a statement as to progress on the DVD. There must be millions of fans who didn't get to the live shows, just waiting for it, and yet the impression is that no one at KB central is bothered in the slightest. Considering that a filmed performance can't be changed, this length of delay is disappointing and rather frustrating. Xmas release, anyone?