Amanda Holden - don't make me laugh!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Like a great deal of people I have warmed to Amanda Holden, but how can she say she never used her looks.

We first saw her on Blind Date, she then made a play for Les Dennis, he helped her up the ladder no end. Then she has an affair with Neil Morrissey....etc

She has got exactly what she wants from using her body.:D

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a322107/amanda-holden-never-uses-looks-to-get-ahead.html

Comments

• artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like a great deal of people I have warmed to Amanda Holden, but how can she say she never used her looks.

We first saw her on Blind Date, she then made a play for Les Dennis, he helped her up the ladder no end. Then she has an affair with Neil Morrissey....etc

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a322107/amanda-holden-never-uses-looks-to-get-ahead.html

I know, bless her!
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe the last sentence where she reckons she was asked for ID to buy a bottle of Bailey's - she's young looking but not that young!

Every woman in show business uses their looks to a certain extent, whatever they may say to the contrary - you very rarely see anyone on TV who is overweight with unstyled hair and no make-up (unless it's a reality show, of course).

I do like Amanda though, she's got a wicked sense of humour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last line simply gives her another chance to plug Tesco.
  • GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe the last sentence where she reckons she was asked for ID to buy a bottle of Bailey's - she's young looking but not that young!

My 36 year old ex-wife was asked for ID in a supermarket recently !
  • MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member

Every woman in show business uses their looks to a certain extent, whatever they may say to the contrary - you very rarely see anyone on TV who is overweight with unstyled hair and no make-up (unless it's a reality show, of course).

I do like Amanda though, she's got a wicked sense of humour.

Not just in show business...:o I have to admit that when I was younger I did - and I expect that, if they are really honest, loads of non-celeb women do every day. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glomper wrote: »
    Your wife probably does look young for her age - as does Amanda but I still don't believe she was ID'd. She does their advertising campaign, and is pretty recognisable. Nah, still don't believe it:D
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I don't know, She may have had one of those jobsworth till operaters who takes the ID thing literally. Like this http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/local/tesco_asks_59_year_old_man_for_id_1_373708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Oh I don't know, She may have had one of those jobsworth till operaters who takes the ID thing literally. Like this http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/local/tesco_asks_59_year_old_man_for_id_1_373708
    Hahaha, yes, that would explain it. :D

I read in the paper yesterday that the guy who plays David Platt got brassed off when he was asked for ID in Manchester recently (he's 23) - but if the shop-worker doesn't watch Coronation Street, how the hell would they know that? He looks as if he's 15.
  • molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You guys are so harsh on her. She's only having a laugh i'm sure!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molybecks wrote: »
    You guys are so harsh on her. She's only having a laugh i'm sure!
    Read the posts again, no-one's being harsh.
  • daryl_spicerdaryl_spicer Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not just in show business...:o I have to admit that when I was younger I did - and I expect that, if they are really honest, loads of non-celeb women do every day. :)

A/S/L:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your wife probably does look young for her age - as does Amanda but I still don't believe she was ID'd. She does their advertising campaign, and is pretty recognisable. Nah, still don't believe it:D

Maybe the cashier wanted to see how rough she looked on her passport photo :D.
  • allie5allie5 Posts: 4,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ID thing might be true....Im a similar age to Amanda and I get ID'd a lot, especially in the US and occasionally in UK supermarkets if Im buying spirits. I dont have any illusions about looking under 25, I think its simply some of the cashiers dont judge ages very well ;) Cyncial me also thinks it could be a crafty marketing ploy by these supermarkets to get their cashiers to ask obviously over 25 ladies of a certain age for ID to promote the "feel good factor" and get them to return to the store....but surely they wouldnt stoop so low eh??? ;)

I LIKE Amanda, never used to admitedly but she is a very nice person. Yes she milks her fame a bit but in her position, lets face it most of us would. She isnt nasty or vindictive so Im prepared to cut her some slack....:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if the person serving you in supermarket is under either 18 or 21 (not sure which) some supermarkets have a policy where they have to ask ID from everyone buying alcohol. I say this because I was asked once (when I was 29) and as I gleefully told the lad on the checkout he'd made my day he replied, with an achingly straight face "I'm underage so I have to ask everyone, it's company policy". Way to kill my good mood!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if the person serving you in supermarket is under either 18 or 21 (not sure which) some supermarkets have a policy where they have to ask ID from everyone buying alcohol. I say this because I was asked once (when I was 29) and as I gleefully told the lad on the checkout he'd made my day he replied, with an achingly straight face "I'm underage so I have to ask everyone, it's company policy". Way to kill my good mood!
    I think you're right, my daughter's boyfriend (he's 17) works in the Co-op part-time and he says he has to ID everyone, even old ladies with tartan shopping trolleys spending their pension money on sweet sherry.

I never buy any booze from the Co-op because I don't want him to have to face the embarrassment of asking his 40-something girlfriend's mum for ID.:D
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    i swear myself an other women blatantly over 18 get asked for ID as a company policy to flatter customers - I do not kid myself I look any less then my years yet get id'd about once a week in sainsburys or tesco
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't 18 the age where they have to get confirmation from someone over 18 before they can sell an age restricted item.

Never happened to me but I might be tempted to ask them for identification to prove they are old enough to sell the product and if feeling really awkward ask to see their licence as well as details of the company's Data Protection registration.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're right, my daughter's boyfriend (he's 17) works in the Co-op part-time and he says he has to ID everyone, even old ladies with tartan shopping trolleys spending their pension money on sweet sherry.

I never buy any booze from the Co-op because I don't want him to have to face the embarrassment of asking his 40-something girlfriend's mum for ID.:D

So the 17 year old has a 40-something girlfriend :confused:

:eek: :D

;) :cool:
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member

I didn't think the co-op would employ anyone til they were 18 nowbecause of the whole licensing thing?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha bloody ha. I should have watched my punctuation. You know what I mean. Don't you? If I had a 40 year old daughter with a 17 year old boyfriend, I'd give her a slap.

He's 17, so is she, it's me that's 40:o
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I was once stood behind a couple of obvious 30+ year old women who were asked for identification at Sainsbury's before the assistant would let them buy alcohol, we were all gobsmacked. :eek:
  • Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member

Absolutely. Now she comes over all prim and innocent, having almost driven poor Les to dispair. Yet people who love her are the same people that would slag off girls like Imogen Thomas.
  • Sarah AnneSarah Anne Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rikki65 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Now she comes over all prim and innocent, having almost driven poor Les to dispair. Yet people who love her are the same people that would slag off girls like Imogen Thomas.

Good point. Not that I like what Imogen Thomas stands for, at least she isnt hiding what she did and pretending her looks haven't got her places.
    I do get a bit annoyed when people like Amanda play the innocent and contradict themselves!
    As for that last line about being asked for the ID, I do believe she wants us to believe it happened. No insinuation of a joke.
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Glomper wrote: »

My MIL got asked for ID at 62! Made her day!
  • PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Perhaps she didn't purposely set out to do it.