Options

Cold callers who won't admit they are cold callers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just had a woman phone up and ask for the home owner. I asked who was calling and she said *company name I've never heard of*...I said the home owner wouldn't be interested as this is a sales call. The woman went on a spiel saying anything she could to avoid admitting she was a cold caller. To everything she said, I replied "you're selling something" and by about the fourth round of this she said something about making your home safer, like her calling was doing me a favour...but she STILL wouldn't admit it was a cold call. At this point, I got bored and hung up but it was fun to hear her squirming and trying every trick in the book to avoid admitting to being someone who was selling something.

Do these people think we were born yesterday? I feel a bit insulted, to be honest! :p

Anyone else experienced this sort of stuff with cold callers?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just put the phone down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    I had one last week, would not agree he was a cold caller even when I pointed out he was trying to sell me somthing and I had not solicted his call. We had a right good argument about it for 10mins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    In the recent months I have had a quite few PPI calls, I love the "send calls directly to voicemail" option in Android, you only ever have to listen to the tossers once.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a member of the TPS (Telephone Preference Service http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html) so only get calls from overseas but there is a slight silence when you pick up the phone before they start talking so I put the phone down as soon as I get that silence. If it is a real call, they will call again.
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sit there and let them waffle on uninterrupted for a few minutes interjecting the occasional hmmm to let them know I'm listening then all of a sudden say "Oh shut the **** up!" then hang-up. It's childish but makes me chuckle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think they have a real nerve to expect me to take them seriously if they can't even own up to who they are. It's so ridiculous! Does this tactic really fool anybody except possibly the senile?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had someone hammering my door last week who claimed he didn't see the no cold caller sign - which is right under the knocker.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're calling you from India, no wonder they won't say they're cold callers. Don't you know how hot it is over there?

Seriously though, I have developed a system which enables me to instantly recognise cold callers. Basically, this company asked me for all my details and whether I wanted a variety of services from insurance to broadband. Suspecting what little information I had would be passed on anyway, I decided to give him a false name and tell him I was ibnterested in everything. Now when cold callers contact me asking for that person, I know what sort of call it is and end the call instantly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    If they're calling you from India, no wonder they won't say they're cold callers.

The one today was English. They often are Indian though, and I can almost never understand them...I just say "no thanks" and hang up as soon as I hear an accent. Anything else is just not worth it!
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the recent months I have had a quite few PPI calls, I love the "send calls directly to voicemail" option in Android, you only ever have to listen to the tossers once.

ave you had the ppi one where its a recorded message: your claim has now been dealth, and payment is ready, please press 5

No [EMAIL="f@cking"]f@cking[/EMAIL] chance, and get landed with a bigger bill than normal, this call will cost you £5 per minute, and 6 minutes of pre-recorded message, before getting put through to options...press 1 to speak to an operator...this call will cost you £10 per min .....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    Im not really rude to them because its a soul destroying job in the first place, ill just answer then when i realise who it is leave the phone on the side and go about my business by the time i get back to it they've usually gone and the phone is making that awful screechy noise it makes when left off the hook :)
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the ones who ask you how your day is going, trying to be all friendly like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    Im not really rude to them because its a soul destroying job in the first place

I'm not normally rude either but some of them practically beg you to be. I also think these deceitful tactics like trying to avoid admitting who you are from the start are a big no-no.

Did you see the programme Panorama did on cold calling? It was shocking.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for British Asians 'cos I'm sure there's loads like me who just put the phone down as soon as they hear an Indian voice
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other day I had about three cold callers before 9am, thankfully the phone's next to my bed so I didn't need to get up. :D But then at about ten to nine I got another guy asking for my mum in an accent so at this point I was getting quite annoyed and I snapped "no! She isn't in right now, she's at work!" and the poor guy said, all taken aback, that he just wanted to tell me my mattress was being delivered that afternoon. :o Very comfy it is too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't all 'unsolicited calls' cold calls anyway?

Unless you specifically ask somebody to phone you, every other call is a cold call, regardless of if they are trying to sell you something or not.

Just being pedantic :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goonst wrote: »
    The other day I had about three cold callers before 9am

We had one call early in the morning the other day as well. If this becomes a regular thing I'll probably end up smashing up my phone. It's bad enough when they call in the evening when people are eating/relaxing. :mad:
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    Nyota wrote: »
    I'm not normally rude either but some of them practically beg you to be. I also think these deceitful tactics like trying to avoid admitting who you are from the start are a big no-no.

Did you see the programme Panorama did on cold calling? It was shocking.

No i didnt see it, but i do hate it when they use my Mums first name as if shes their friend? wtf is that about..
  • Options
    blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As annoying as cold callers are, I am always polite but quick with my response that I am not interested. I get this in quickly to waste as little time as possible. Unfortunately I have moved to a place where my number seems to be widely known - any advice on what I can do???

However I absolutely hate computer virus scammers - or rather, not the people calling up, but the people who set up the call centres to do this in the first place. I understand people are trying to do a job and support their family, which is why I'm not needlessly rude to cold callers, but the computer virus scam is illegal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I had a call from an unsympathetic Eskimo.

That was one hell of a cold call.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nyota wrote: »
    We had one call early in the morning the other day as well. If this becomes a regular thing I'll probably end up smashing up my phone. It's bad enough when they call in the evening when people are eating/relaxing. :mad:

I hate when they call ever. I almost prefer it when I'm in my bed because the phone's at the other end of the house down here. I stop what I'm doing and stomp over (usually tripping over one of the pets or stubbing my toe on a rubber bone) because it might be family or something otherwise important, and it's some arsey wee PPI guy telling me that I can too make a claim. I have never taken out any kind of loan! Go away! Or those bloody Microsoft scammers. My mum's an IT tech and she got her first one of those the other day, she just laughed down the phone at him for about two full minutes.
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT and there broadband they seem to be quite bad at this, now I have had countless calls, told them Im in a 18 month contract with virgin, so not interested in there offers, operator tells me, she will remove me from there list

3 weeks later bt again, same offer, tell them, not interested, and I must get atleast 6 calls per month from bt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    i do hate it when they use my Mums first name as if shes their friend? wtf is that about..

I hate that too. I don't know when or why people became so afraid of formality but fake mateyness is a huge hatred of mine and I could rant on and on about it.

Not had a cold caller address me by my first name yet but they do always mispronounce my surname and it's not really difficult. A somewhat uncommon surname it might be, but you just say it like it's spelled. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I had a woman calling today for someone completely different. She was trying to cut the cost of my energy bills (which I thought was nice of her to do) When I said "I'm not this person you have the wrong number sorry" her reply was "it doesn't matter, you'll do". Clearly you're just taking random numbers out of the directory and calling them up, hoping to speak to whoever's on the other end I said to her. She started to read from her script and I took that as my cue to hang up.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i just got chatted up hard on my doorstep by one:eek:and made a new shady-contact:cool::cool:.