mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else watching?

Comments

• davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forget it was on but I did hear a very moving interview with her on Radio 4 the other morning.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew about the experimentation and the gas chambers and the forced labour and the starvation, but I didn't know about the blood.
  • Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know about the blood either - it looks like this part of history will never fail to shock
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know about the blood either - it looks like this part of history will never fail to shock

I know - just when you think you know about every horror and degradation inflicted on the camp inhabitants.
  • bandersist2008bandersist2008 Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am watching.. a terrible time.... shocking..
  • Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Henia looks incredible considering the things she has been through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Henia looks incredible considering the things she has been through.

An amazing women (whatever she says about it herself!)

What a moving programme - the story about the piece of bread......

I read an article about Henia and she was in hospital recently. A doctor asked about the number tattooed on her arm. She told him that she had been in Auschwitz and the doctor did not know what Auschwitz was.
  • bandersist2008bandersist2008 Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    An amazing women (whatever she says about it herself!)

What a moving programme - the story about the piece of bread......

I agree... it made me cry, that part....::(
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a moving, touching programme that was. Not sensationalist or OTT, just simply-told recollections of the darkest time in our history.

Henia and the millions like you, I salute you.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Excellent programme that should have been on a lot earlier so a few others who seem to forget about what happened can have their knowledge of the holocaust inproved
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent programme that should have been on a lot earlier so a few others who seem to forget about what happened can have their knowledge of the holocaust inproved

I agree - it seems so important that we do not forget.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rabbi Julie Newburger was on GMS with Clare Balding (I think) and she felt it should be required viewing in senior schools. I have recorded it ready to watch it when I can do so without interruption.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard her interview on Radio 4 with John Humphries, it was moving. It is incredible that educated people have never heard of Auschwitz.
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read this lady's remarkable story in the Mirror on Saturday but didn't see the documentary on Sunday evening.
    What horrified me about her account was the fact a female nazi officer delighted in choosing people whether it be mothers or kids to be killed and while this Jewish lady worked away she recalled how the ashes from the burning bodies fell on them - very harrowing to listen to but intellectual.

For what she went through she looked incredible.

Also read another lady's account of the holocaust.
    She had been saved by Oskar Schlinder to work in one of his factories because she had small hands and she said to this day she owes her life to him.