Options

Couchpotato wants to start running outside

couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
Forum Member
✭✭✭
But I'm very unfit and can't run for 5 mins without feeling like a heart attack is coming on. I want to change my name from couch potato to sexyhunk. If I go running outside people will see me and laugh. This thought is very upsetting and makes me want to stay on my couch watching big brother and eating tikka masala. Did you have any worries when you started running or did you just think '**** it'?

Comments

• Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Jump on a bike and ride that instead. It's low impact and can be as stressful or relaxing on the muscular-skeletal-cardiovascular system as you choose it to be.
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try walking, gradually increase your distance and then your speed.
    When you can walk fairly fast without getting breathless, start by putting jogging intervals into your walk, just a few yards and then gradually increase the distance and speed until you can run comfortably.

This isn't going to happen in a week or ten days, it is going to be a long gradual experience, but this is a case where it really is better to walk before you run.

The only equipment you will need is a good comfortable pair of trainers, they won't be cheap, but they will be a very good first step. Go to a good sports shop, where they will make sure you are buying what you need.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the old saying "learn to walk before you can run"...?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another vote for walking here. i've been doing it every day for a fortnight and have only just managed to walk for a mile without my legs and lower back feeling like they're on fire :)

going straight out to running could end up doing you more harm than good OP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, wait until it's dark.

Cooler, fewer cars and people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah walking. Get a pedometer and build up to doing 5000 steps everyday. I've gone from only being able to walk for 1 mile to walking 7 miles with ease....ok it took me two years to get to that point :p

5000 steps is about 5 miles. You don't have to do it all in one go. Just thought the day.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't done it myself (though I need to) but I know people who have said the NHS Couch to 5K programme is excellent:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

At the moment I'm trying to do around 3 miles (takes about an hour) after work a few times a week. Even walking to the supermarket and back to get a pint of milk, rather than jumping in the car, can achieve that.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I started running I’d get up extra early and head out the door at 5am, to be sure of no-one seeing me.

After a week or so, I decided I’d rather have the extra time in bed, even if it meant people looking at me, and so went running in the evenings instead.

What I discovered was that no-one really cares – they’re all too bothered about their own lives to care about someone jogging round the park. You’re a stranger to them, they’re strangers to you. They care as much about you running as you do about their picnic in the park, or their car’s colour, or their dog they’re walking. I.e. not a jot.

If you want to start running, I would highly recommend the NHS Couch to 5k programme: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

It is designed to help you go from doing nothing, to running for 30minutes. You start by running for a very short period of time (30 seconds), and then walking for longer (2 minutes, say), and repeating that for half an hour 3 times a week. The next week you run a bit more, the next week you walk a bit less, and gradually build yourself up. I used a similar programme when I started – running for 30 seconds was very difficult. By the end of the programme, about 3 months in, I could run 30 minutes. Not exactly comfortably, but I could do it which was a lot more than I could when I started running.

*There are also apps for smart phones which have the couch to 5k programme on (or very similar walk/run beginner programmes), some that integrate your music into audio cues for walking/running, and track your route, pace etc. The belsl & whistles aren’t important though – I used a zombie themed app when I started because it was fun, (this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sixtostart.zombies5k&hl=en_GB), but my partner has taken to wearing a digital watch and writing his run/walk cues on his hand to refer to – no app or music player needed.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »
    Try walking, gradually increase your distance and then your speed.
    When you can walk fairly fast without getting breathless, start by putting jogging intervals into your walk, just a few yards and then gradually increase the distance and speed until you can run comfortably.

This isn't going to happen in a week or ten days, it is going to be a long gradual experience, but this is a case where it really is better to walk before you run.

The only equipment you will need is a good comfortable pair of trainers, they won't be cheap, but they will be a very good first step. Go to a good sports shop, where they will make sure you are buying what you need.

Great advice, I always advise someone who has not done exercise for many a year to walk or swim at first.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Other people seeing you and potentially laughing at you is an issue... but will only be an issue for about 5 minutes when you will realise that no one is actually looking at you. Couch to 5k (C25K) is a great programme that a lot of people have success with. Other things to look into are parkrun or jogscotland (or similar depending where you are). Both of these will allow you to run with similar people with no pressure. You will very quickly build up a network of running buddies and get stuck in.

I started 3 years ago after going to the gym for a year and getting bored with it. I am running my fourth and fifth marathons later in the year and I also used to think that running for 5 minutes was a big deal.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the great advice. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    I've said this on other threads too, but be careful of your knees. I started from nothing and, despite taking it very easy indeed, bust my knee on my first run outdoors, which was mainly a walk.

Check out some exercises to build your core strength muscles first, which will help to keep your kneecap in the right groove. Squeezing a ball between your knees, back to the wall, bend down 20 times, and do this 3 times/day for a week or so before you run, I suggest.
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can vouch for the NHS Couch potato to 5k programme being a fellow couch potato.

I'm now on week 7 which involves a 5 minute warm up walk, 25 minutes jogging and a 5 minute warm down walk to finish.

7 weeks ago I thought I'd have no hope of jogging 25 seconds let alone 25 minutes.
    Like the OP I was embarrased about being seen but I bought a sony walkman that fits into the ears and around the neck, meaning I didnt need to hold anything or have anything in my pockets to distract me.

I started going out at 6am but after a while I thought 'stuff it, these people dont know me' and have now started jogging straight after work.

So OP dont despair, the NHS plan is fantastic as the narrator constantly gives you encouragement and pats on the back etc.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    I can vouch for the NHS Couch potato to 5k programme being a fellow couch potato.

I'm now on week 7 which involves a 5 minute warm up walk, 25 minutes jogging and a 5 minute warm down walk to finish.

7 weeks ago I thought I'd have no hope of jogging 25 seconds let alone 25 minutes.
    Like the OP I was embarrased about being seen but I bought a sony walkman that fits into the ears and around the neck, meaning I didnt need to hold anything or have anything in my pockets to distract me.

I started going out at 6am but after a while I thought 'stuff it, these people dont know me' and have now started jogging straight after work.

So OP dont despair, the NHS plan is fantastic as the narrator constantly gives you encouragement and pats on the back etc.
    Good luck!

How long can you jog for now? I am looking forward to starting this and hope I can have similar success.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a free online Couch Potato - 5K a few years back (before my knees were shot) and the first few times out feared what you fear, OP. One day, near the start when I was still 'portly', a car slowed down, pulled alongside me and the window slowly went down. I awaited insults. It was a pensioner asking directions.

And so on. Didn't get rude youths shouting insults even once. I was surprised.

These days I cycle and so any potential insulters would have to be able to run 15 MPH even to stand a chance of insulting me. I share an off-road track with runners and must admit they usually look like they're in agony. Cycling is so much more fun!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do have a bike and definitely enjoy that a lot more than running, but,as always have said, maybe if I can keep at it and improve my fitness, I will also enjoy running.

The thing about worrying about other people is simply down to the fact that in my area I never see an overweight person running. We have a lot of joggers but they are all slim and very fit.
    I guess it's just me being stupid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    But I'm very unfit and can't run for 5 mins without feeling like a heart attack is coming on. I want to change my name from couch potato to sexyhunk. If I go running outside people will see me and laugh. This thought is very upsetting and makes me want to stay on my couch watching big brother and eating tikka masala. Did you have any worries when you started running or did you just think '**** it'?

If they laugh at you the first week who cares...after a couple months they'll be saying who's that sexyhunk...
  • Options
    SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    Yeah walking. Get a pedometer and build up to doing 5000 steps everyday. I've gone from only being able to walk for 1 mile to walking 7 miles with ease....ok it took me two years to get to that point :p

5000 steps is about 5 miles. You don't have to do it all in one go. Just thought the day.

I think it's 10,000 steps is equal to 5 miles for the average person.
  • Options
    carlos_jacksoncarlos_jackson Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I think you need to be clear about your fitness goals. If you want a muscular physique, you are going to have to do more than run.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snikpoh wrote: »
    I think it's 10,000 steps is equal to 5 miles for the average person.

Yeah I just googled it and your correct.

I've been doing 5000 steps for ages now and thought it was 5 miles.

You have no idea how disheartened you've just made me but thanks....I guess :(:blush::o:)

ETA: still I've lost 17 pounds in 4 months so not so bad!

10000 steps from now on!
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long can you jog for now? I am looking forward to starting this and hope I can have similar success.

I've just done my first 5km jog meaning i've reached the final week of the plan.
    To say i'm really happy is a massive understatement :)

9 weeks ago I couldnt jog more than 5 metres and now thanks to the NHS Couch Potato to 5km plan I can now jog for 5km!

So please have a go at this if you havent already - it has really helped me and i'm sure it will help you.
  • Options
    Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Way to go! I would recommend moving onto Parkruns now. They are free 5k runs every Saturday at 9am. Build your way up from there!!
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need to be clear about your fitness goals. If you want a muscular physique, you are going to have to do more than run.

This, distance running is one form of exercise but it depends on what you are trying to achieve. As several people have mentioned, jogging can be very wearing on your body, not just your knees. Have look at local clubs, they will be able to give you advice.

Have a look at swimming and cycling as well. If you want to improve your fitness then try body resistance and HIIT training. Tons of examples on Youtube.