Options

Which Freesat+ to buy??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 642
Forum Member
✭✭
Need your advice peeps! I'm looking to ditch my Sky box and go to Freesat. Im willing to pay up to/around £300. Need good memory, simple use, connectable to iPlayer, twin tuner , HD compatibility and most importantly reliability. Any suggestions? ;)

Comments

• Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find at least 80% on this forum will recommend the Humax HDR as the best of the bunch. I am well pleased with mine. Try Amazon
  • Options
    BadvokBadvok Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    I think you will find at least 80% on this forum will recommend the Humax HDR as the best of the bunch.
    I'll concur, it is far from perfect but it is the best on the market. But I'd definitely not recommend that particular flea-market.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A third vote from me (owner since Nov 2008)
  • Options
    terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it's big yes from me (an owner from launch)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guy's for all the responses, most appreciated. However further investigation suggests I could keep my Sky box and buy a card for 25 quid and get what Im looking for...minus HD and iPlayer. Is it worth it to shift to a Humax box and pay out 200 odd pounds .....hate Murdoch and would love to move but.....
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and minus the recording function
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AHHH....spot on my friend...forgot about that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all. Iv now purchased a Humax on your recomendations. Another question for you again Im a fraid. I want to watch the BBCi player. Is it possible to connect a wifi box to the Humax to pick up a signal from my other wifi box as opposed to run a cable from my Humax to my other router? Or does a router transmit only?:rolleyes: Many thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    The new Humax 500GB Model,
    it should have BBC iPlayer on it, but I am not sure,
    the old 320GB has though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new Humax 500GB Model,
    it should have BBC iPlayer on it, but I am not sure,
    the old 320GB has though

Apart from the hdd size they are identical in every respect. All hdrs with the latest firmware have bbci player
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all. Iv now purchased a Humax on your recomendations. Another question for you again Im a fraid. I want to watch the BBCi player. Is it possible to connect a wifi box to the Humax to pick up a signal from my other wifi box as opposed to run a cable from my Humax to my other router? Or does a router transmit only?:rolleyes: Many thanks in advance!!

A pair of homeplugs is the easiest way to connect a hdr to your router without running a cat5 cable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A pair of homeplugs is the easiest way to connect a hdr to your router without running a cat5 cable.

Thanks Graham. Being a complete novice can you enlighten me as to what homeplugs are, where I can get get them and how much they are? Many thanks in advance!!:D
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the starting point:

http://www.homeplug.org/home/

There are a few manufacturers of suitable products and they can be found on numerous site dealing with networking products.

A lot of people use them but there can be downsides too with regard to mains interference. If you can it is best to use a network cable.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badvok wrote: »
    I'll concur, it is far from perfect but it is the best on the market. But I'd definitely not recommend that particular flea-market.
    Actually I think that's a bit harsh(*). It only seems to have one even slightly serious failing (the Power Cut bug) and most people will never even notice that. The rest are minor niggles.

I'd rate it on par with Sky HD which I've always maintained is the most reliable complete system on the market(**). As far as the kit itself is concerned it may even be more reliable. It's just the broadcasters who sometimes let it down.

(*)And I own an older Humax PVR and once said I'd never buy any of their kit again so I'm not a 'fanboi' :)

(**)Not perfect of course but until the HDR it was the only PVR I would trust sufficiently to forgoe all live viewing in favour of time-shifting.