how is it going in usa ?

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im seeing figures quoted of 3-5Mb upload speeds being touted as a minimum to broadcast to twitch and not interrupt your own gameplay.

Guess I won't be doing that then with my poor 1.3 :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    So i wonder why all these PS4 seem to be faulty surely this must be a major cock up on Sonys part, and im assuming all the PS4 for Uk Distribution are already in UK warehouses so i would be pretty worried. Luckily i havent pre ordered one im gonna wait till feb 2014. I do hope a software fix is in the pipeline for our American friends or i would ship the console back and get a replacement.
    It isn't a software issue. It is the HDMI port, as a result of poor workmanship.

It isn't anything to worry about - it is perfectly normal for a consumer electronic to have a load of dead units. Just think about the journey they've taken, right back from when the individual components were shipped to the manufacturing facility, then constructed then shipped to a warehouse then shipped to a distribution centre then shipped to a retailer who then ships to you or their stores.

So many opportunities for knocks, falls and drops.

There will be a lot of dead units with duff hard drives almost by default because of that. Think about how many reviews you see for hard drives where people are going ARRIVED BROKEN IM NEVER BUYING A WESTERN DIGITAL DRIVE AGAIN!.

That drive would have been tested before it left the facility, but arrived dead. A fact of life unfortunately and due to social media and forums any failure is instantly seen by millions when in reality it is just one person amongst many, whereas before the only failures you knew about were ones your friends had.

So nothing to be worried about. What would be something to be worried about is if in 4 weeks time machines that were working perfectly fine start to break down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Im seeing figures quoted of 3-5Mb upload speeds being touted as a minimum to broadcast to twitch and not interrupt your own gameplay.

There are different quality streams apparently.

We shall see.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member

Don't feel too down, you'll be able to see my mug in glorious HD :D I may even reply to you if you ask anything. No trolling though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You better stream it !!

Seems as soon as you hit that share button it saves an instant screenshot. Gives You option of saving your last x amount of video (15 mins? ) and then an option of live stream
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twitch is the future, is this a PS4 exclusive?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but it is not known if the Twitch streaming feature is on Xbox One at launch.

It has a Twitch app to view streams, but broadcasting is unknown.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to get excited about the PS4 to justify buying it but i'm struggling to get excited about any of the launch titles.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been reading the Knack OT over on GAF and watching a few streams of the game on Twitch and the response is pretty positive on the game as many of them are playing on hard (it's literally nearly one hit kill) as it's satisfying getting past stages and repayable for the collectables.

Interest has peaked a little, may get up before/after Christmas when it reaches £20 or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any confirmed news of adding ps4 plus content without owning ps4 ?
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How's it going in the USA?

Well, according to @Yosp, they've sold over 1 million units in the first 24 hours.

That's astonishing!
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    To put that in perspective - the amount of PS4s sold in the US in 24 hours, is equal to the amount of Wii Us shipped globally in the first nine months of this year.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does that compare to PS3? Didn't the PS3 have a fairly slow start to life?
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Thats going to cause a slight performance hit. Giving devs the choice would have been the better option. EG a GTA Game could have all the mapping data stored on the HDD and stream the soundtrack from the disk.
    Why? Sony reckon the disk access is so much slower than the hard drive that it's better not to rely on the disk when actually playing. I think the tradeoffs are different for PS4 versus PS3. One reason is that the PS4 can transfer from disk to drive in the background, without affecting game play. It also does decompression in hardware and has built-in support for sound streams so the game doesn't have to bother with it so much. Obviously downloaded games are entirely on the hard drive, so it must be able to cope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does that compare to PS3? Didn't the PS3 have a fairly slow start to life?

PS3 took 2 weeks to shift 197,000

Even the mighty PS2 'only' sold 500,000 in its first weekend, although I think there were stock shortages.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Is that PS2 number for Japan (as it released over there first)?

Big numbers for Sony anyway. one of the benefits of using "off the shelf" parts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 million in 24 hours is huge!

This might be shaping up to be a landslide what with UK retailers moaning at the lack of Xbox One stock.

The first few months are going to be supply-limited sales figures. In other words, when figures come rolling in it isn't going to be 'HA-HA PS4/Xbox One sold more, therefore people prefer PS4/Xbox One, told you so!' it is just going to be down to who made and shipped the most.

US people's consoles seem to have been made in August and September, so based on that and them saying they expect to sell everything they make I think we might be looking at around 4 million by the end of the year.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    1 million in 24 hours is huge!
    If the 0.4% failure rate Sony claimed is correct, that would be 4,000 broken ones. 30,000 failed ones wouldn't be unreasonable.
    The first few months are going to be supply-limited sales figures.
    Yep. And it was always going to be thus, at least since Microsoft did their U-turns. It'll be many months before we can declare any sort of winner.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 million in a day, it's amazing, I'm actually starting to worry about being able to get one. I'm planning to buy one as a birthday present to myself in March (hopefully an infamous bundle) I hope there won't be a stock shortage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems with the streams you can choose to see comments and reduce your screen size to accommodate that, or you can just play full screen and not see the comments.

Was just off a stream with a girl gamer who was good in answering queries on it but shr had to trawl through some 'what age are you? What color are your panties? What size bra do you have? ' and other equally bad questions
    Forum Member
    Seems with the streams you can choose to see comments and reduce your screen size to accommodate that, or you can just play full screen and not see the comments.

Was just off a stream with a girl gamer who was good in answering queries on it but shr had to trawl through some 'what age are you? What color are your panties? What size bra do you have? ' and other equally bad questions

FYI, she's 23, 34c & they're yellow :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks omtt. So you're p3rvp4rty on there ? :D
    Forum Member
    Yeah, that's why you couldn't find me when you tried a search :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Yeah, that's why you couldn't find me when you tried a search :p

Lol.
    Seems cq is still broken on Ps4. Hopefully they fix this before both launches in uk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    Is that PS2 number for Japan (as it released over there first)?

Big numbers for Sony anyway. one of the benefits of using "off the shelf" parts.

No, they were the USA PS2 numbers. Japan was 600,000 day 1, with it taking 10 days to hit 1 million.