Options

BBC NEWS HD picture stutter and poor sound sync

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
Forum Member
Does anyone else see this? Most obvious is the jerky progress of the ticker text. I also see the same fault on Al Jazeera HD. The SD freeview channels don't show the fault. And from freesat at the HD news channels look OK. My freeview is from Tacolneston.

Comments

• Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a hypothesis but it could be that they are showing some 25p footage and the encoder detects this and decides to encode it as 1080p/25. This'd make the ticker jerky. This isn't unique to Freeview though, you can see it all the time with Sky Sports News HD also, particularly when they show something static on the main screen.

Could also be an issue with your TV...hard to say without more information.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should think that the most likely reason is that COM 7 Mux, which carries those channels, is much lower in power than most of the others (10kW compared with 100kW I believe). In which case it is probably a case that your aerial is insufficient for it. It may also be due to that Mux being somewhat lower in frequency which could have put it outside the aerial's group.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the hypothesis and probable cause. As no one is seeing what I see, the problem must be at my end. At some point I'll have to replace my 70's analogue aerial for a new digital one.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the hypothesis and probable cause. As no one is seeing what I see, the problem must be at my end. At some point I'll have to replace my 70's analogue aerial for a new digital one.
    Whatever you do, don't go to a company advertising "digital aerials" because there is no such thing. Aerials are just aerials and are all perfectly capable of receiving digital TV. The main thing is to find one which is suited to your location and your transmitter.
  • Options
    Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice would be to go over all the cables and connections with a fine tooth comb before resorting to an aerial installer!!

Also DO use the TV or recorder's signal strength and quality metering to check leves on the different mux frequencies. If COM7 channels have low level and poor quality cf the main channels muxes that indicates areception problem... If they are good and steady then it may be a picture processing issue which you have little control over (although adjusting some TV processing settings might help).

Swap out any aerial fly leads and hdmi-lead-connections (if present)... and ensure they are kept well apart. HDMI cables can cause interference and cheap pound store ones can be just as good as the more expensive variety (over short distances).

Tacolneston COM7 is 27.4kW erp cf 100kW for the main services (not even -6dB) BUT some old C/D aerials may push that signal down more (as ch 31 COM7 is outwith a C/D passband). However many C/Ds performed quite well at lower frequencies... so do check and re-make any hand-made aerial plugs etc.,.

Your approx Location could help to get more advice... and if you can get Mustard TV OK the aerial may well be a more likely cause.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The symptoms spread to ITV HD. Then the Freeview+ box failed on switch on. That was the end of its life, after 3 years, for my Toshiba HDR5010KB. Its death mask was the frozen "STARTING" display which seems to be common with this model. I now have a Humax HDR-2000T and all channels are again free of judder. Thank you for all the responses.