Options

Sarah Jane Adventures S5 - premieres 3rd Oct on BBC One

Comments

• Options
    BlackTarantulaBlackTarantula Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Oh wow, the guy from "Lost in Time" came back! I was hoping we'd see him and his parrot (the Captain) again!

I'm just worried that they won't get around to explaining who they are. I doubt they'll be in the next story, so we just have to hope that the finale ("The Man Who Never Was") features them and explains who they are. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, I enjoyed this two-parter even though it was a bit predictable (aside from Sky's mother getting her comeuppance at the end in a way that was sort of shocking for this show). It was a nice story, and Sky will surely make a fine addition to the main cast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent. Maybe it's because it's the final series and I'm subconciously wanting to like and enjoy it more, but I really felt that the quality of the writing and the performances were among the best that this show has to offer. Really looking forward to the rest of this sadly short series.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now we have to wait until next Monday.

Although I am enjoying watching it very, very much, I feel sad whilst watching it, too, mixed emotions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Now we have to wait until next Monday.

Although I am enjoying watching it very, very much, I feel sad whilst watching it, too, mixed emotions.

That's how I'm watching it too. Excitement and sadness while it is playing
  • Options
    BlackTarantulaBlackTarantula Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I thought this episode was on par with all of series 4 (aside from "Goodbye, Sarah Jane Smith", which I felt was a little bit weaker than the rest of that series, and this episode, due to the wasted potential of the story).

The only problems with this episode are that Miss Myers could have just made Sarah Jane and the gang "take a power nap" (like she did to the power plant workers in part 1), but didn't for some reason. And also, there's the danger that that Metalkind creature might tell the rest of his race about Earth. They swore vengeance on all of Fleshkind, remember... Sad that the series is coming to an end; a sequel might've been on the cards, given the chance.

Really liked Sky's theme music, and there were a few epic musical cues towards the end as well. Thoroughly enjoyable episode.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    One thing that needs pointing out. Yes, they filmed a finale, but it's a season finale rather than a series finale. SJA would've got a sixth series if Lis had still been alive. The ending probably won't conclude Sky's story, nor will it see Sarah killed off off-screen.
    k9fan wrote: »
    I think I would have preferred it if the rest of the series had Sarah Jane, Clyde and Rani (and her parents) without Sky - what would Luke think of a 12-year-old foster sister?:eek:

I remembered the parrot and the other person.
    We'll probably find out. They filmed the episodes in that order because of Tommy Knight's availability, not just because Lis knew she was ill (did the production team even know?) and Luke should appear in some form in each story. I expect next week's story will start the same way this week's did, with Sarah Jane telling Luke about Sky via video chat. Then Luke will appear in person in the finale.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Felt so sad watching this knowing the lovely, talented Lis Sladen is no longer with us. It seemed hardly credible, she looked so vibrant and beautiful in this episode.

Sarah Jane had so much more to give. But she will live forever in our hearts.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    JUst watched the first two episodes, so sad , Lis looks so healthy, such a cruel disease :( I have fallen in love with Who yet again, after being so disappointed by DW this year, this and TW have renewed my interest in it.

Roll on next week.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lovely conclusion to "Sky" tonight, brilliant work all-round. The shock character at the end was wonderful, I really hope we get to see him again before the end. The last line said by Sarah Jane was beautiful, and I can't help but feel saddened as I watch this... surely the most consistent of all three Whoniverse shows, it's amazing the series still has so much energy after all these years - could Doctor Who manage with the same lead actors for five years running? There is such variety on offer... I thought this back near the end of Series 4, but SJA seems the all-round best show - it doesn't pull off twists like DW, it can't deal with human drama on the same scale as TW, but it does a bit of it all, and is immediately the most accessible of the shows. It's such a shame Lis isn't here not only to continue the show, but also to see it continue at its peak. RIP Mrs Sladen.

Strictly speaking, they haven't quite had the same lead actors five years running. Rani didn't appear until series 2, replacing Maria, and Luke pretty much ceased to be a lead actor last series, with Sky apparently replacing him this series.

I enjoyed this episode. A bit of a shame Sky only came in at the end, as she's a very endearing character. Just very sad all round really - sad for us that this is the last series, sad for the young cast, and of course hugely sad for Lis's family.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WebbieOTW wrote: »
    Not that I'm a plotline picky, but don't you push damping rods INTO a nuclear reactor to shut it down? Just saying. Otherwise superb and sad start to the final series.

Really thats the problem you have with it. Not that two untrained teenages can walk it to a nuclear power plan garb a joy stick and shut down the plant with no codes, no keys, no training :confused: I would have been happy if they just had a red emergency shut down button but I guess they had to build suspense somehow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got around to watching the opening two-parter.

High standards maintained and I cannot add anything to the comments already made about the bitter-sweet nature of watching this series.

I'm very glad they're showing them though. It's such a wonderful tribute to someone who will always remain alive in our living rooms.
  • Options
    cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not a bad start to the series,but once again(as with every episode)things are spoilt by the pathetic acting of daniel anthony(clyde).he has to be the worst actor in britain.how the heck was he chosen to be in this show?his dreadful attempts at comedy in the program really drag it down to the gutter.unfortunatly,when looking back at the sara jane adventures,they will always be marred by him.
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    not a bad start to the series,but once again(as with every episode)things are spoilt by the pathetic acting of daniel anthony(clyde).he has to be the worst actor in britain.how the heck was he chosen to be in this show?his dreadful attempts at comedy in the program really drag it down to the gutter.unfortunatly,when looking back at the sara jane adventures,they will always be marred by him.

Your unhealthy obsession with Daniel Anthony is very boring. You've been in love with him since the series started and it's creepy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    Your unhealthy obsession with Daniel Anthony is very boring. You've been in love with him since the series started and it's creepy.

what a ridiculas thing to say.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still hoping Clyde will be a companion on DW, or better yet they should make him a Doctor at some point in the future....yay for Clyde he is the best!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    making clyde a companion would be the worst move in the history of dr who.luckily,it will never happen.now that the sja is finished he should be put back to the obscurity he deserves.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I'm still hoping Clyde will be a companion on DW, or better yet they should make him a Doctor at some point in the future....yay for Clyde he is the best!:D

He's already played the part of the (eleventh) Doctor - in Death of the Doctor. Not for long though. Glad he got to travel to another planet. He's really good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    making clyde a companion would be the worst move in the history of dr who.luckily,it will never happen.now that the sja is finished he should be put back to the obscurity he deserves.

You're being ridiculas now. If you love him, you should wish him well in his future career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're being ridiculas now. If you love him, you should wish him well in his future career.

i hope his career fails. he is a pathetic actor,as could be seen on casulty a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    It's nice when you love an actor and watch everything they're in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i hope his career fails. he is a pathetic actor,as could be seen on casulty a few weeks ago.

I don't believe that you dislike him as an actor. Not in the slightest.

If I had to, I'd choose Tommy Knight as my least favourite actor in the series but I think the entire cast is great. Tommy's white, you know, but I'm sure that skin colour means nothing to you, least of all when True Love's involved.
    nebogipfel wrote: »

It's beautiful and nothing to be ashamed of. :)
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »

It's beautiful and nothing to be ashamed of. :)

It is isn't it? :)

And nebo, thanks for the reminder of that classic moment from Clyde there, surely one of the finest moments in TV history, wonderful piece of foreshadowing for the 50th anniversary perhaps...:)
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    It is isn't it? :)

And nebo, thanks for the reminder of that classic moment from Clyde there, surely one of the finest moments in TV history, wonderful piece of foreshadowing for the 50th anniversary perhaps...:)

Ah, Clyde would be a wonderful Doctor.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    I think Clydefactory should just come out and admit the massive crush he has on Daniel Anthony and all cute black actors in general. It's either a crazy crush, bizarre racial hatred or my third and slightly improbably theory, that cloudfactory is in fact the actor Anthony Daniels (C3PO in Star Wars) who hates the fact that Daniel Anthony is getting all the work these days.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please give the series respect. We are privileged to be able to see it; it is not finished because the next episode is on tomorrow.