Slugs in recycling bin - warning a bit gross

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a blue recycling bin for paper etc and a garden waste bin plus my normal bin.

My blue bin is a haven for slugs who lay their eggs just inside the lid

Does anyone have any advice for repelling them?

Comments

• SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salt is effective but a nasty way to go for the slug.:)
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A dish of beer next to your bin and the buggers will die but happy. They love a tipple and then they topple in and drown in beer.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A dish of beer next to your bin and the buggers will die but happy. They love a tipple and then they topple in and drown in beer.

There but for the grace of God........................................................................................................
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A waste of good beer lol

I did squirt some vinegar on the bin but will try the salt.

Anything to stop them using ma bin as a knocking and breeding shop. I'm surprised they don't go for the green compost bin.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cstar2229 wrote: »
    A waste of good beer lol

I did squirt some vinegar on the bin but will try the salt.

Anything to stop them using ma bin as a knocking and breeding shop. I'm surprised they don't go for the green compost bin.

You only need a couple of inches of cheap value beer dude. They don't need any Premium 9% stuff! :D
  • Roger MoreRoger More Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cstar2229 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice for repelling them?
    Place a copy of this inside the bin Dear Heart. Without doubt the slimy gastropods will move to pastures new.
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    Roger More wrote: »
    Place a copy of this inside the bin Dear Heart. Without doubt the slimy gastropods will move to pastures new.

classic
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

We did that few years ago in the garden. Bought some Dutch beer from Tesco (they like that ;)) and put it in several buckets around the garden. It worked too! The buckets were full of slugs.