Options

Who liked Max Bygraves on Family Fortunes?

Comments

• Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    This thread is from 2009! A new one almost 3 years later is ok imo!

I caught one episode a few days ago and Max made a couple of toe-curling crude jokes..I turned off!

Les Dennis was my favourite!

Some might disagree
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey.....;):D
  • Options
    JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with all of the above.
  • Options
    Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max Bygraves seemed to rush through the programme & always came over as a bit flustered & not paying much attention.Bit 'robotic' in his presentation compared to Monkhouse,Dennis,Collins & Kay.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen bits of these FFs on Challenge and they're painful to watch. ATV/Central were a bit rubbish at picking replacements for Bob Monkhouse because Norman Vaughan and Charlie Williams were pretty poor when they took over from Bob as presenters on The Golden Shot. (Norman replaced Bob, Charlie replaced Norman. They didn't preent it together.)
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    He was terrible and we thought so at the time as well, he obviously had no interest in the contestants whatsoever, compare that to someone like Barrymore who had great rapport.

Some dodgy sexist jokes today as well, telling the police officer "sorry officer I thought she was older" was one of them. Casual sexism was the norm then though, see Bullseye as well.

A week or so back in one of Bob's shows a section was cut out completely; the question was "name something that makes your skin change colour", Bob got to the one black contestant on the team and SNIPPPP.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "And You've Won A Prize!!!!!!"
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Name something you take to the beach?
    Turkey!

Name something you buy in a supermarket?
    Turkey!!

Name something you stuff?
    Turkey!!!

Hooray!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say that i've even seen this guy present but i'd rather that than vernon kay the most irritating presenter on tv :sleep:

bring les dennis back :p
  • Options
    able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Haven't seen these shows since they were first shown - as a 9 year old I didn't like them....super slick Game show King Monkhouse is a hard act to follow, but poor Max really is the worst example of a game show host I've ever seen. Doesn't know what's going on - always missing prize buzzers, mixing up who has won the question, misreading questions, reading questions too slowly on "BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG MONEY", awkward conversations with contestants.
    I now know why they put the show on hold for a year until Les Dennis took over in 1987.

Absolutely, car crash tv every minute, on the minute.

He appeared to want to get the show over as quickly as possible, even only half reading the questions at times.

Talking all over the guests, everything was at 100 mph.

Utterly absurd.
  • Options
    billyboy789billyboy789 Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt the majority of DS posters know of Max Bygraves anyway.

When did he last present a episode of FF ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder who told him to drop the "And you've won a prize!!!" catchphrase? It disapeared two shows in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I doubt the majority of DS posters know of Max Bygraves anyway.

When did he last present a episode of FF ?

He was 1983 to 1985, we're discussing him because Challenge are currently showing his run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I wonder who told him to drop the "And you've won a prize!!!" catchphrase? It disapeared two shows in.

"Big Money" lives on though, I still say that today sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was a bit less rushed today, but still some cringeworthy moments like when he said to one family
    so you're from Perthshire, way up there in er Perthshire
    and the crossword joke
    my wife loves crosswords but she just puts down whatever fits, the question was "something you look through", the answer was "transparent", she put "peephole"
    how exactly does that fit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought he was funny yesterday actually - taking the piss of the Somerset family
    "Name something that lands"
    "Glider"
    "Gloiider??"

and he loves his chest freezer joke when women win one....makes a boob reference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes twice now he's told sexist jokes to women contestants, how times have changed.

Weird accent he's got as well, from London but sounds a bit Australian, I know he lives there now, wonder if he spent the winters there before that?
  • Options
    shedsevenshedseven Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max seems to be getting a bit pissed off that nobody is winning the "Biiiiiiiiig monnnnnneeeeeeeyyyyyy!" Its been £3000 for ages now! Like, three nights running!! :D Gutted I missed the Monkhouse eps. Everyone knows the LD eps "Hiya Les!" :rolleyes: Max looks a bit bewildered, like he's outdated even in 1983 and I love the way he says stereo - "you've won a prize........a steer-eo radio cassette player with speakers.......have you got a car??" :D So bad, its good!! BIG MONEY!!!! Woooooooooo!!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shedseven wrote: »
    Max looks a bit bewildered, like he's outdated even in 1983 and I love the way he says stereo - "you've won a prize........a steer-eo radio cassette player with speakers.......have you got a car??" :D So bad, its good!! BIG MONEY!!!! Woooooooooo!!! :D

It is a strange accent.

Bernie Winters spoke like that as well.

Maybe it's a London Jewish accent, is Bygraves Jewish?
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you've won a prize........a steer-eo radio cassette player with speakers.......have you got a car??"

Ha ha ha, haven't been watching Challenge, but thanks for reminding me of 'steer-io', that became a catchphrase at my school because of Max's odd pronounciation.

As, some years later, did 'I'll give yer the money meself'. Kids love catchphrases. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My hate has turned to love over the episodes - I love his ineptness, I love the sexist jokes (especially when Men win kitchen appliances "The missus will love you etc), I love his odd way of pronouncing Steerio. He should have stayed for the another 2 or 3 series before Les taking over
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Max he was one of those presenters that seemed genuine & a huge improvement over that talentless idiot Vernon Kay.

There is a world of difference between Monkhouse, Bygraves and the vacuous range ofuber lightweight empty vessels who are the plat du jour on telly at the moment. Messers Monkhouse and Bygraves were professional entertainers whose acts were based upon years of actually being able to do things (like stand on a stage and entertain thousands of people) other than just be known for being known.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say he sounds Australian but he didn't move to Australia until 2008.
  • Options
    shedsevenshedseven Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    There is a world of difference between Monkhouse, Bygraves and the vacuous range ofuber lightweight empty vessels who are the plat du jour on telly at the moment. Messers Monkhouse and Bygraves were professional entertainers whose acts were based upon years of actually being able to do things (like stand on a stage and entertain thousands of people) other than just be known for being known.

I would agree with this. I may be amused by Max's constant amazement at the 'technology' of the prizes on the 1983 run of FF, but he came from an entertainment background who could turn their hand to anything and keep an audience hooked rather than just being 'on the telly' as today's lot seem to be known as. OK, Max may not have been the best gameshow presenter, but I like his style and he's a bit flamboyant and I like the way he looks slightly confused in every show like its his first one - constantly looking behind at the board - oh that's another Max-ism I like "Clear the board!" with a flourish of his hands!! The more I see of Max, the more I am impressed in a slightly comical way!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would agree with this. I may be amused by Max's constant amazement at the 'technology' of the prizes on the 1983 run of FF, but he came from an entertainment background who could turn their hand to anything and keep an audience hooked rather than just being 'on the telly' as today's lot seem to be known as. OK, Max may not have been the best gameshow presenter, but I like his style and he's a bit flamboyant and I like the way he looks slightly confused in every show like its his first one - constantly looking behind at the board - oh that's another Max-ism I like "Clear the board!" with a flourish of his hands!! The more I see of Max, the more I am impressed in a slightly comical way!!

Agree with everything,