Slade night on BBC 4

13»

Comments

• jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just caught up with 'It's Slade' after recording it last night! It was the first time I'd seen a documentary solely devoted to Slade, and although I knew many of the songs referenced, I was unaware of some of the less well-known ones, and much of the history of the group, because of my age when Slade were at their height (I was only born in 1967, but grew to love the 'glam rock' genre which is now I became familiar with their more well-known songs).

A great documentary - funny and self-deprecating, they also wrote some of the best songs of the era.

As an aside, I now teach at a Further Education college (so 16-19 yr olds) and we were talking about Christmas songs the other day and one of them mentioned "Merry Xmas Everyone". They were stunned when I told them in was recorded in 1973 - they think it's one of the best songs they've ever heard and had no idea who Slade really were, their music/songs, anything really. But it just goes to show, doesn't it - good music crosses the generations!

ETA: Re-watched both 'It's Slade' and 'Slade at the BBC' with my 14 year old daughter in attendance this afternoon - and she was begging me in the first 10 minutes "can we buy these songs Mum? They're amazing!". So a quick trip to amazon and now the Greatest Hits album is downloaded and she's a happy girl! I've clearly brought up my children to appreciate good music ;)
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a modest man is Noddy Holder!
    He is the greatest singer/songwriter of our age - just ask him.

Noddy likes to blow his own trumpet

Why do some posts on here sound like quotes from an Enid Blyton novel :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spruce wrote: »
    Bought Merry Xmas Everybody in 73 when I was 9 and a few years later got Slade Alive vol1 a great LP.

The link below leads to a clip on YouTube which features a short segment from each of the 7 tracks on Slade Alive!

Although the total length of the album is 39 minutes and this preview clocks in at 6.25, it captures some of the excitement of this gig performed in front of 200 or so rowdy drunks at a small venue in late October 1971, before any Slade single had reached the top ten, let alone number one.

I think it showcases Slade as the raw, rootsy, hard-assed pub rockers they originally were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVPqyw2GuEE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ETA: Re-watched both 'It's Slade' and 'Slade at the BBC' with my 14 year old daughter in attendance this afternoon - and she was begging me in the first 10 minutes "can we buy these songs Mum? They're amazing!". So a quick trip to amazon and now the Greatest Hits album is downloaded and she's a happy girl! I've clearly brought up my children to appreciate good music ;)

That's a nice story :)
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a nice story :)

Thanks - she was absolutely away when we were watching. She's musical herself (as am I) and picks up tunes really quickly, so although the words were all unfamiliar, she was humming away to every song by the second verse (on the BBC programme where they played all the songs whole) and I'm afraid I have rather indoctrinated my children to my taste in music (very 60s, 70s and some 80s - but a very eclectic mix!) so she had heard some Slade songs before, but not many as I didn't have many myself.

We put that right today, though! :)
  • insaneladinsanelad Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Watched all the Slade programmes the other night - TV Gold !!

I saw them live a couple of weeks ago, they are currently touring with The Sweet and it is a cracking night out - check out Google and I'm sure you'll find out where they are.

From Slade, only Dave Hill and Don Powell of the originals are now part of the band and I went along thinking that Slade without Noddy wouldn't be worth seeing - but I was wrong. Great music and great entertainment !

PS. Sweet were even better !!!!!!
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching TOTP2 on Dave and they showed Do They Know It's Christmas performed 'live' on TOTP. It was the only time they did it. Most of the artists were there but what I never realised was that Jim Lea and Dave Hill were involved stood at the front playing the guitar.
    Didn't know that any part of Slade were involved in Band Aid
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Just watching TOTP2 on Dave and they showed Do They Know It's Christmas performed 'live' on TOTP. It was the only time they did it. Most of the artists were there but what I never realised was that Jim Lea and Dave Hill were involved stood at the front playing the guitar.
    Didn't know that any part of Slade were involved in Band Aid

Assuming the official video, as screened on the BBC TWO edition this year, is an accurate record of who was at thr original recording session in 1984, I didnt see Slade there.

I believe, according to other sources Ive read, that artists appearing on the shows before Xmas were recorded singing along(I guess the promo was transmitted on those shows?) then all was stitched together for Xmas Day.

I guess its easy to work out who recorded when, if they had their own Totp appearance at the time, or did some come in specially?
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Assuming the official video, as screened on the BBC TWO edition this year, is an accurate record of who was at thr original recording session in 1984, I didnt see Slade there.

I believe, according to other sources Ive read, that artists appearing on the shows before Xmas were recorded singing along(I guess the promo was transmitted on those shows?) then all was stitched together for Xmas Day.

I guess its easy to work out who recorded when, if they had their own Totp appearance at the time, or did some come in specially?

Good point. Hadn't thought about that. Slade were probably in the charts again with it being Christmas.
    The Frankies were there singing along as well. Don't remember them being on the 'recording day film' but iirc they did a special message on the b-side
    (It was funny seeing Paul Weller miming to Bono's bit as well)
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Clearly a young lady with good taste.
  • shedsevenshedseven Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught the end of 'Slade at the BBC' the other night but recorded the re-run on BBC4 on monday morning. Absolutely brilliant. I loved seeing them on Cheggars Plays Pop singing 'Give us a goal' and on TOTP doing 'Radio Wall of sound'. Not two of their most famous tracks, but I really thought they were good. So much so I've also ordered Wall Of Hits from Amazon on CD. :)
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Good point. Hadn't thought about that. Slade were probably in the charts again with it being Christmas.
    The Frankies were there singing along as well. Don't remember them being on the 'recording day film' but iirc they did a special message on the b-side
    (It was funny seeing Paul Weller miming to Bono's bit as well)

Slade were in the charts with All Join Hands in Dec '84
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it. I thought Jim's contributions were excellent, and hilarious. Dave Hill's a bit well-worn (especially about buying the swanky house next to a girl's school). I was metaphorically stroking my cheek about how they were not interviewed together at any point, though.

Knew about Don's crash, his injuries and the death of his girlfriend. But not about the scale of the smash and how they all rallied round him.

A short aside... we had a lad in my class in primary school in 1972 who in modern times would have been called 'special educational needs' but in a church school in the early 70s was 'a bit dim' or even 'stupid'. For all that, he was a lovely kid. He loved Slade, and a happy memory for me is how he would light up if they were played at the end of term disco.