Options

Microsoft to shut down TechNet subscription service

IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,313
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Microsoft to shut down TechNet subscription service

Summary: One of the best software deals around is about to be retired. Microsoft announced today that after 15 years it will shut down its TechNet subscriptions service in 60 days. Microsoft has other, similar programs, but none are as generous as TechNet.

Comments

• Options
    cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame - I had a subscription a couple of years ago and it is great value for money (but often abused :))
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,544
    Forum Member
    My guess is that many members declined to renew after they changed the terms and conditions last year to (try to) force users to renew every year. They had to do something though, as some members sold-on their keys for non-evaluation use (Technet piracy).

As a past Technet subscriber, I had some very nice discount offers this year to try and persuade me to renew but I declined. So it's probably all my fault. :D
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up until this year I was a Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) so I got TechNet as part of the package. However, a couple of years ago they restricted the subscription to one license per product (as opposed to 5+ previously) which made it almost useless for training purposes.

As above, it's probably closed due to widespread abuse, which is a shame.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do hope all those keys keep working :D

otherwise I'll have to buy some software for my evaluation desktops
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when win 7 came out, the amount of pirated disks with a technet key being flogged on ebay etc was stupid so its hardly surprising that they killed the program, but the real technical people know how to bypass all that crap anyway so for those it doesn't matter if technet exists or not :D
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/

Some one on zdnet recommended this instead if you fit in their criteria etc

http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/SoftwareAndTools/Default.aspx
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    They've given me a bit of an extension, so I've picked up a few keys for things I might dabble with in the next year, but to be honest I hardly spend anytime in a MS environment these days.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,544
    Forum Member
    I do hope all those keys keep working :D

otherwise I'll have to buy some software for my evaluation desktops

Well I did buy a £25 W8 upgrade but as my technet RTM W8 with evaluation key is still working fine, the paid upgrade is still sitting unused in my computer (with many evaluation keys!).

I got them all just before the new T&Cs came out, that said you had to be a current Technet member to use the evaluation keys, so I can legitimately evaluate for as long as I want. :cool: