Options

2 yr old Tom cat peeing on carpet.

teagenieteagenie Posts: 146
Forum Member
I wonder if someone can give me some advice please? I always get great info on here so when 'google' couldn't help me, DS was my first port of call.

I have a 2 yr old Tom cat, neutered, gentle nature. Recently I have smelt cat urine around the house but, as I have 3 cats in total, I never knew which one was not using the trays.

Today I caught my male cat peeing under a side table in my living room. He peed up against the wall which is strange and I've also noticed puddles if urine under the litter trays when I've been cleaning them. (I just put those down to bad aim!)

Google says things like dirty tray, new litter etc but none of these things can apply as I've used the same litter since I got the cats and clean the 3 trays daily.

One thing that sounded vaguely relevant was him marking his territory - the peeing against the wall is a sign - but apparently this is mostly common in cats that are not neutered, whereas he is.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm getting really fed up living in a house that smells of cat pee......,

Thank you in advance

P.s. My other two cats are females aged 1&3, all cats get on great, always have done.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A change in toilet habits is often a cats way of telling you something isn't quite right. I'd pop to the vet to give him the once over just in case. But it could also be something like a new cat in the area - have you noticed any? Also, try a feliway plug in. If it is stress induced, it may help calm him.
  • Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be many things, including being scared if there are new cats around ouside but it could be a urinary infection or something similar so a trip to the vets would be my first stop, when my old girl cat got cystitis she always had a wee on the floor, it was her way of telling me something was wrong....

sorry my post was almost identical to the one above :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the replies.

Ok I'll take him down to the vets for a check up. Can the vet tell if it is a urinary infection?

He is an outdoor cat and there are a few others in the neighbourhood but I haven't seen any new/unfamiliar ones. But I will keep my eyes open.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    It could be many things, including being scared if there are new cats around ouside but it could be a urinary infection or something similar so a trip to the vets would be my first stop, when my old girl cat got cystitis she always had a wee on the floor, it was her way of telling me something was wrong....

sorry my post was almost identical to the one above :blush:

great minds think alike :D
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    teagenie wrote: »
    I wonder if someone can give me some advice please? I always get great info on here so when 'google' couldn't help me

One thing that sounded vaguely relevant was him marking his territory - the peeing against the wall is a sign - but apparently this is mostly common in cats that are not neutered, whereas he is.

Yes but in multi cat households it can happen too, especially if there is a change or some shift in status it's normally the low ranking cats that do it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks TWS, my Tom cat is the 'man' of the house. He does have a very gentle nature but he definitely dominates the girls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow, but last night I noticed he was sitting on hard surfaces (like my tv stand and a ring binder!) which is unusual so I'm guessing he might well just have a wee infection.

Thank you for the replies by the way, appreciate them.