AMD are awful?

13»

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Maybe so, but it is confusing as they have so many different sockets. TBH, if I wanted to build a intel machine i really would nto know where to start.

AFAIK, they generally only have one 'active' desktop socket. At the moment that is 1150 and its not due for replacement for a number of years.

If you are buying an older chip, either Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge then you need 1155.

One major difference you will notice is that with AMD the pins on the CPU with holes in the socket, with Intel the pins are on the motherboard and the bottom the CPU only has contact pads, I guess it reduces the chances of pin damage.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    AFAIK, they generally only have one 'active' desktop socket. At the moment that is 1150 and its not due for replacement for a number of years.

If you are buying an older chip, either Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge then you need 1155.

I stopped following Intel and what they do a few years back, since I had no need to know. all I knwo that if you go a and look at buying a Intel based Motherboard, there are so many different sockets.
    One major difference you will notice is that with AMD the pins on the CPU with holes in the socket, with Intel the pins are on the motherboard and the bottom the CPU only has contact pads, I guess it reduces the chances of pin damage.

I noticed that when I built my mates I7 machine, came as a bit of a surprise. I thought the way the chip fitted in and the clip was a bit of a pain. AMd have stuck with the older system, with a leaver to keep the chip in place, which is to be honest all it needs. you got a heat sink on top which will keep it in place as well.

It was putting on the heatsink that was more of a pain, but only because it was large heatsink and had to be fitted from behind the board, saying that I had to do that with my AMD board as I put a large heat sink on that.

My mate who have the I7, is going to try and keep his computer going for a couple more years at least, it will be about 6-7 years old then, he is going to update the video card and memory in the next couple of weeks.
    He said that when he do replace the board and CPU, he is looking at AMD instead of Intel.

Myself, I will also keep this computer going for at least another year, maybe two. I am also looking at updating the memory. When i do replace the CPu and main board, it will be AMD, unless something drastic happens to change my mind.