Options

Soap schedules v other programmes.

Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As Eastenders is not airing tonight due to the football, I see people are already moaning.

I understand some of you don't like the World Cup but BBC and ITV will not get rid of one of (if not the biggest) tournament in the world for somebody to watch a soap.

I have had to look in the TV guides/my EPG on my freeview to see the correct times the soaps are on. The three I watch (Emmerdale, Coronation Street and Casualty) have all been affected but do I care? No.

There are much bigger things to worry about in life.

Look at your work life. You go to work to make a profit; this is the same for BBC and ITV. BBC have paid a lot of money to broadcast the tournament, whereas ITV are relying on advertisers. And they have in their contract to show it on the channel that will get the most viewers, affecting soaps

So, people who are moaning, do you have a life? Do you have to watch your favourite soap at the 'normal' time, or do you get upset?

I don't care if my programmes are not on. Like last night, after Coronation Street finished at 8pm, we went out to the pub for a drink (and with the nice weather, who wants to stay indoors?

Comments

• Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breaking news: Soap fans posting on a dedicated soap forum would prefer to watch a scheduled soap then an overrunning football match, post their feelings about this, then go and have a cup of tea or a bath.

Further development: People desperate to cause an argument swoop in to belittle said soap fans for having no life with no sense of irony.
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Eastenders is not airing tonight due to the football, I see people are already moaning.

I understand some of you don't like the World Cup but BBC and ITV will not get rid of one of (if not the biggest) tournament in the world for somebody to watch a soap.

I have had to look in the TV guides/my EPG on my freeview to see the correct times the soaps are on. The three I watch (Emmerdale, Coronation Street and Casualty) have all been affected but do I care? No.

Look at your work life. You go to work to make a profit; this is the same for BBC and ITV. BBC have paid a lot of money to broadcast the tournament, whereas ITV are relying on advertisers. And they have in their contract to show it on the channel that will get the most viewers, affecting soaps

So, people who are moaning, do you have a life? Do you have to watch your favourite soap at the 'normal' time, or do you get upset?

I don't care if my programmes are not on. Like last night, after Coronation Street finished at 8pm, we went out to the pub for a drink (and with the nice weather, who wants to stay indoors?

BIB - No.

Underlined - Yes. Although I'd say more annoyed than upset.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't care if my programmes are not on. Like last night, after Coronation Street finished at 8pm, we went out to the pub for a drink (and with the nice weather, who wants to stay indoors?QUOTE]

**************************************************************************************************

Last night it was raining where I am and I don't like sitting outside in rainy weather.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All very fascinating OP, but could you not have not moaned about the lack of soaps on one of the several moaning threads about lack of soaps? Just for balance? ;-)
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

No one has a problem with scheduled changes . tonight was handled badly by the bbc which is annoying. Also it's a nice excuse I suppose to have a dig at eastenders fans.
  • Options
    Teabag84Teabag84 Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am an avid soap watcher, and I am sorry for those I am about to offend - but the sport events are reality and things like Wimbledon help our economy....... A few changes won't kill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one has a problem with scheduled changes . tonight was handled badly by the bbc which is annoying. Also it's a nice excuse I suppose to have a dig at eastenders fans.

The BBC had to adapt to a last minut change, the match overran which they could not cancel as there are people watching. As EE hadn't aired yet, (and is the least important amongst their programmes tonight), it had to make way for an extended match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teabag84 wrote: »
    I am an avid soap watcher, and I am sorry for those I am about to offend - but the sport events are reality and things like Wimbledon help our economy....... A few changes won't kill.

Exactly.

And I laugh at those who do moan.
  • Options
    MackenizeMackenize Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Things happen in the real world which can't be helped that means that soaps will have to be cancelled because of it.
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC had to adapt to a last minut change, the match overran which they could not cancel as there are people watching. As EE hadn't aired yet, (and is the least important amongst their programmes tonight), it had to make way for an extended match.

Thing is, the BBC should have been prepared. There was obviously going to be a chance that the match would overrun so why not schedule EE for tomorrow (especially as other schedule changes have been made and no footie tomorrow) rather than drop it at the east minute
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree.

I watch EE but watch HO everyday. I don't moan at Xmas when the listings have changed so don't know why others are moaning now.
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    IanMandy wrote: »
    Thing is, the BBC should have been prepared. There was obviously going to be a chance that the match would overrun so why not schedule EE for tomorrow (especially as other schedule changes have been made and no footie tomorrow) rather than drop it at the east minute

That would've been sensible, but doubtless some would still have complained about their programme being moved from its usual slot to make way for something that might never have happened.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I watch Wimbledon every year(normally I have the two weeks off and am glued to the tv all day), along with the Chelsea Flower Show (and the Rugby World Cup, the Olympics etc. when they are on) So in all honesty come about May time(and throughout the year when there is stuff that I want to watch on) I start missing the soaps and actually don't care. Last nights Tennis match between Nadal and Kyrgios was much more exciting and entertaining than Eastenders has been recently. I am not a fan of football but I can see why the World Cup is more important to the BBC than a Soap.

Sport is unpredictable no one knows whether a football match will go in to extra time or not, Tennis matches have no set time to them. At the moment the BBC is showing both Football and Tennis, two of it's main sporting events unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you feel about them) they don't see Eastenders as, as important as those two events. The BBC couldn't move Eastenders to BBC2 because of Wimbledon and they couldn't move it to Wednesday night because they would have to reschedule everything that is already on tonight. Normally they don't have two major sporting events happening at the same time.