About to get a PS4

ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

So, I've taken the plunge and ordered a PS4 - it may be here by tomorrow but if not I'll have to wait until Tuesday!

I have ordered one without a game for several reasons:

1) I've still a few titles to finish on PS3
2) I've a few PS+ titles lined up for PS4 already (albeit just PSN games)
3) The 'free games' on PS4 look decent enough
4) There's nothing that "jumps out" at me as a must-buy

So, I just wanted some advice:

- What are the best free games available for PS4?
- Are Killzone Shadow Fall or inFamous Second Son worth purchasing? Or should I just wait until they show up on PS+?
- What looks like the next 'must-buy' title on PS4? Destiny looks interesting from what I've seen and I will buy my once per generation FIFA game in September, but aside from that, it seems as though 2015 is a bigger year than the rest of this one

(Obvious question so I will answer before anybody asks - I'm purchasing now as opposed to waiting as I was able to get a very good deal that I doubt will be bettered)

Comments

• MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few free games available. DC universe online, warframe and blacklight are all free to play with in app purchases. I hope you got Resogun as one of your ps plus games, it's great. Sort oc like the arcade game defender. Drive Club will have a free version on ps plus too.
    Infamous: SS is very pretty, quite short but overall worth it. Personally I didn't like KillZone but again it's nice to look at.
    I like the look of Alien: Isolation and Dragon Age: Inquisition, AC:Unity for this year. I agree though next year looks good.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The PS+ games should keep you going, especially if you nabbed Resogun when it was free.
    In terms of the free to play games. Warframe is excellent fun, Blacklight is a decent FPS. DC Universe Online, is a great fun, if you like MMOs. On the horizon is Planetside 2, which looks really cool.

Highly recommend Infamous Second Son - a great open world super hero game. Not the best in series IMO, but a still brilliant fun.
    Killzone is struggle with being honest - impressive graphics but I found the single player to be a bit of a slog and the multiplayer is just not as much fun as Battlefield 4.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    War Thunder is free-to-play too.

The are also a number of cross-buy titles as well, such as Flower, Sound Shapes, Zen Pinball. So if you had them on PS3 you'll get the PS4 version for free, while Guacamelee currently has a cheap PS3/Vita to PS4 upgrade option.

Re: Killzone, you can pick it up in CEX for about £15 at the moment. For that price, it's cedrtainly worth a look. If you have PS4 owning friends, the £7.99 co-op mode is actually pretty good fun.

People complain about first year release schedules being a little thin, and buying at launch as a waste of money, but I've currently got 27 titles installed on my PS4 to play with, but I've only actually bought 1 full price game. (none pre-owned)

Bargain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Well Killzone Shadowfall is a decent enough game but the last KZ game I played recently was 3 online.

KZ SF is not as much fun as 1, 2 or 3

It is also the least Killzoney FFS Yank Helghast!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for people that have the ps4
    whats the mic like that comes with the ps4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kcspurs wrote: »
    for people that have the ps4
    whats the mic like that comes with the ps4

Its nothing special, does the job more or less.

Prefer my turtle beach headset though as it has more options for sound and is comfy to wear but over all the packaged earphone mic does the job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Killzone Shadowfall is a decent enough game but the last KZ game I played recently was 3 online.

KZ SF is not as much fun as 1, 2 or 3

It is also the least Killzoney FFS Yank Helghast!

Totally agree, K:SF just is lacking the stuff that made the previous three killzones pretty decent shooters.

Really disapointed that K:SF decided not to build upon the "b@lls to the wall" insanity that Killzone 3 was aiming for.
    Loved the huge mech battle and the onrails shooter section of Killzone 3 and felt really let down when the devs took the effort to show a few of the big mechs in teh background near the end but did nothing with them!.

I still feel that the story should have been a uniting of the ISA / Helgast against a larger threat, a dirty dozen mixture of helgast and ISA in a squad taking down various big bads.

Oh well, hope the next killzone fixes these mistakes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Totally agree, K:SF just is lacking the stuff that made the previous three killzones pretty decent shooters.

Really disapointed that K:SF decided not to build upon the "b@lls to the wall" insanity that Killzone 3 was aiming for.
    Loved the huge mech battle and the onrails shooter section of Killzone 3 and felt really let down when the devs took the effort to show a few of the big mechs in teh background near the end but did nothing with them!.

I still feel that the story should have been a uniting of the ISA / Helgast against a larger threat, a dirty dozen mixture of helgast and ISA in a squad taking down various big bads.

Oh well, hope the next killzone fixes these mistakes.

There was so many things not quite right, Lucases books were in Helghan script whereas Vectans use English. Helghast all sound like East Ender rejects not from Yankland.

Also Helghans do not hate the name Vecta - look up Phillip Vecta.

Then they set up for some friendship between Maya and Lucas, shich could have really set up a future game well.

The wall, well in any sensible story they would have had a continent.

I was very disappointed at the dropping of Move as well as KZ3 fully vindicated the control method and enabled us older gamers to compete on the same level, I was around top 1500.worldwide at Killzone 3 multiplayer, I enjoyed KZ2 MP as well, I was not wiped out.

In fact I always used KZ3 in Move/Kinnect arguments.

Killzone 3 or Blackwater
    Resistance 3 or Kinect Star Wars
    Bioshock Infinite or Dance Central
    Portal 2 or Kinnect Sports
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, so I got one, and decided to get inFamous Second Son along with it. My initial impressions on the console and some games...

The console
    * With the exception of requiring a vertical stand to prevent the intake ports being blocked off, it seems well designed
    * A good size and while it doesn't have the futuristic look of the fat PS3, the light bar on the console makes up for it
    * So far, so quiet - little to no noise, a massive improvement over the PS3 which struggled as the generation progressed

The controller

* Talking feature is very, very cool
    * Touch pad a simple but clever way to add additional input options
    * Light bar adds to the futuristic feel
    * Not a huge fan of the new analogue sticks, they seem a bit stiff but maybe that is just as the console is new
    * Share and Options buttons are great ideas - Start and Select had definitely outstayed their welcome
    * A downside? The technology in this controller is so advanced it may mean we have seen an end to cheap third-party knockoffs, which were always essential for having mates round for games of FIFA. Indeed it seems as though the only third-party PS4 controller currently on the market ships without a touch pad!

The UI

* This is where I'm disappointed
    * The UI seems counter-intuitive and a world away from the simple yet elegant XMB on PS3 and PSP
    * I liked the fact all my games, music, movies, apps etc. had their own sections on the old XMB - now most things seem to be combined with little to no logic to the order
    * Where is the option to pause downloads in order to queue them?! I would rather all my bandwidth was used to download one demo/game quickly yet I can add all the ones I want in a queue - instead it seems as though the only option is to download everything at once! Somebody please tell me I'm wrong here! (and even if I am, it's dreadful that I'm having to ask on a forum where the option for this is)
    * The library section is useless as, once again, everything is combined
    * Really can't believe Sony dropped the ball so badly on this after the XMB was so good - they should not have changed what already worked

inFamous: Second Son
    * The graphics are impressive but I do not think this generation has been a huge leap, so I have yet to see anything that blows me away the way God of War III did (and still does!) on PS3
    * More improvements seem apparent in things like particle and lighting effects than textures and fidelity
    * Enjoying the story and overall layout of the game so far
    * However, it is disappointing that it is STILL TOO HARD! I virtually never complain about difficulty levels in games, but inFamous has always been a thorn in my side. You are supposed to feel powerful and yet literally right from the start of the game you are thrown up against enemies who seem ten times more powerful than you (thinking of the mini-gun enemy in particular). The split in powers makes healing more difficult than ever and if I do an 'evil' playthrough I will have to turn down to easy as all the re-healing powers are in the good karma tree (vent healing, subdue healing). Some bosses just constantly spam attacks and even on Normal difficulty three hits will kill you. The checkpoint system needs further work as well.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase and I'm aware that it's still very much 'early days' in terms of what is available. The UI is disappointing and the graphics are impressive, but not mindblowing. The building blocks of a great console are there - now it's up to the developers to make the most of them.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We won't see the best of the new consoles for a few years but graphically InFamous looks really nice already. Not quite up to Ryse or Forza on the X1 but I think Drive Club will balance that out if what's been shown so far ends up in the game. It's just a shame a lot of PS exclusive games got delayed as I'd love to use my PS4 more.

The controller I have nothing bad to say about it. Far more sturdy than the DS3 and the larger size suits me as I always preferred the Xbox controllers (even the planet-sized controller from the original) because they were a bit chunkier.

I think most are with you on the cluttered nature of the main dash and would like some sort of order imposed on it. And if there is an option to pause downloads I haven't found it yet and I've had mine since November and the amount of Killzone updates pisses me off. Almost every time I turn on the PS4 there's another update for it.
  • claymore74claymore74 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    The UI[/B]
    * I liked the fact all my games, music, movies, apps etc. had their own sections on the old XMB - now most things seem to be combined with little to no logic to the order
    * Where is the option to pause downloads in order to queue them?! I would rather all my bandwidth was used to download one demo/game quickly yet I can add all the ones I want in a queue - instead it seems as though the only option is to download everything at once! Somebody please tell me I'm wrong here! (and even if I am, it's dreadful that I'm having to ask on a forum where the option for this is)
    * The library section is useless as, once again, everything is combined

inFamous: Second Son
    * The graphics are impressive but I do not think this generation has been a huge leap, so I have yet to see anything that blows me away the way God of War III did (and still does!) on PS3
    * More improvements seem apparent in things like particle and lighting effects than textures and fidelity
    * Enjoying the story and overall layout of the game so far
    * However, it is disappointing that it is STILL TOO HARD! I virtually never complain about difficulty levels in games, but inFamous has always been a thorn in my side. You are supposed to feel powerful and yet literally right from the start of the game you are thrown up against enemies who seem ten times more powerful than you (thinking of the mini-gun enemy in particular). The split in powers makes healing more difficult than ever and if I do an 'evil' playthrough I will have to turn down to easy as all the re-healing powers are in the good karma tree (vent healing, subdue healing). Some bosses just constantly spam attacks and even on Normal difficulty three hits will kill you. The checkpoint system needs further work as well.

Re the UI, you've picked up on 2 issues that everyone else has as well - a way to better manage the content, and a way to prioritise downloads (which you cannot currently do). Hopefully these options will be introduced at some point.

Re Infamous, I'm currently on my second play through, evil karma on expert, and I can't say I'm finding it overly difficult. All I'd say is engage enemies from a distance, not close up unless you're just finishing them off, and if the screen goes 'white' simply run / smoke away, and find a new smoke stack etc, as replenishing your power also replenishes your health.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claymore74 wrote: »
    Re the UI, you've picked up on 2 issues that everyone else has as well - a way to better manage the content, and a way to prioritise downloads (which you cannot currently do). Hopefully these options will be introduced at some point.

Wow, I really am at a loss as to how Sony let something so mediocre infiltrate what is otherwise a promising games console.

Then again, the PS3 UI was very much a work in progress over a number of years.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does sort the cluster into order you've played them I think. ...which helps a little.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Yeah, the game you last played will be on the left of the line of games, but if you have a disk in then that icon will be on the left. Oh let's not forget the news feed icon which is on the very very left.
    Oh and library drops games in, in the order you put them in your download list.

It is a mess, especially as its full of the free 8 bit ps+ games from the past 8 months. Hut luckily these are software problems and Sony should be able to fix them soon enough.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When designing the PS4 UI, Sony made a conscious decision to have all the content presented in one place, as they felt that was easier for the average consumer.

Whereas for people like us forum dwelling enthusiasts, we are much more comfortable digging through menus to get to what we want.

Hopefully they'll introduce a simple folder system at some point, similar to PS3's, enabling them to cater for both extremes.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Well How cluttered it is depends on how many games you have.

If you only have 10 games then it's easy to navigate and find what you want.

But if you have 30 plus games along with all the apps on offer then it becomes a nightmare.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally prefer the UI on the PS4, also love how clean and snappy everything is.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan of the PS4 UI, it takes ages to find anything.