Options

EE: Peter/Ben/Lola/Lexi Mitchell/Beale

GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
Forum Member
Regardless of whether you think cousins breeding with cousins is okay or not, I feel like Eastenders are trying to disguise the fact that Lola and Ben are cousins, even though they are distant and that Lola is also now embarking on a relationship with Peter - her daughter's blood cousin.
Legally, there isn't anything wrong with it, therefore they have a right to not address it, but equally there is a social stigma about cousins dating cousins, so therefore, I feel like in order for people like myself to feel comfortable with it they need to address it...

Comments

• Options
    Bart_MitchellBart_Mitchell Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Regardless of whether you think cousins breeding with cousins is okay or not, I feel like Eastenders are trying to disguise the fact that Lola and Ben are cousins, even though they are distant and that Lola is also now embarking on a relationship with Peter - her daughter's blood cousin.
    Legally, there isn't anything wrong with it, therefore they have a right to not address it, but equally there is a social stigma about cousins dating cousins, so therefore, I feel like in order for people like myself to feel comfortable with it they need to address it...

Hear hear, although the mentioned it yesterday briefly , I find it very uncomfortable to watch.:blush:
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    To be honest I find nothing wrong with Peter and Lola. They have no connection whatsoever really - they aren't blood related, even distantly and they haven't been brought up as part of the same family group.

Yes it is a little weird that His girlfriend's child is his first cousin but it is Lola he is dating, not Lexi.

Ben and Lola on the toher hand was a little more yucky though it was very distant (phil and Billy are second cousins aren't they so once you go down 1 (ben) or 2 (Lola) generations down) and again didn't grow up with each other to have that familial bond.
  • Options
    TheJ693TheJ693 Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really think thats odd. Lily's mom in Corrie slept with her uncle.
  • Options
    Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheJ693 wrote: »
    I don't really think thats odd. Lily's mom in Corrie slept with her uncle.

Lily's mum as in Kylie?
    she slept with her husbands brother.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think they are trying to hide it. Phil is very much Lexi's grandfather and they do a good job at constantly making sure we all know Ben is Lexi's dad.

Its not that EE hide it, its that EE doesnt seem to think its a big deal. I mean Lauren and Joey used to bump uglies and pretty much nobody (in Walford) batted an eyelid.

Incest and dodgy relations have been a staple of EE for years. Everyone is related to everyone else.
  • Options
    Fairy WingsFairy Wings Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    TBH I get confused about who is related to whom on EE :confused:
  • Options
    Dan_1983Dan_1983 Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH I get confused about who is related to whom on EE :confused:
    So do I sometimes.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,312
    Forum Member
    Look at the Butchers, Bianca married her step-uncle Ricky and that was never an issue.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Look at the Butchers, Bianca married her step-uncle Ricky and that was never an issue.

IIRC, pat and carol were unhappy about their relationship at the beginning because of this and tried to stop them from seeing each other.
  • Options
    alakazzamalakazzam Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    On a separate note, Peter Beale has become quite a dish.. wasn't so fond of the new Peter but now he is very attractive. something about him
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol Im not surprised there is so much interbreeding in Eastenders as the cast seem to be constantly jumping into bed with each other on what seems to be a rota system (is it the same on other soaps these days?)

Have to say though, having watched on and off recently, the younger characters(Abi/Lauren/Lola/Jay/Dexter/Peter) do seem to (now and again)have a reasonably friendly relationship as a group - which is a bit refreshing. Abi actually seems to be nice well adjusted girl next door type-wonder how long that will last!
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter and Lola are a rather odd couple.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm confused.

Lola is Billy mitchells grand daughter, Billy is Phils vague cousin. Phils son Ben is Peters (half) Uncle?

Now in real life...my SIL(A) was married and had two kids (B & C) with chap(D) and then divorced and Chap(D) married other SIL(E) and they had two kids together (F & G) so BC are FG's half siblings and cousins. Then there was another divorce and two more kids (H&I) HI are BC's cousins and free to marry them (which if they did would make FG half siblings, cousins and b/sIL to FG.
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm confused.

Lola is Billy mitchells grand daughter, Billy is Phils vague cousin. Phils son Ben is Peters (half) Uncle?

Now in real life...my SIL(A) was married and had two kids (B & C) with chap(D) and then divorced and Chap(D) married other SIL(E) and they had two kids together (F & G) so BC are FG's half siblings and cousins. Then there was another divorce and two more kids (H&I) HI are BC's cousins and free to marry them (which if they did would make FG half siblings, cousins and b/sIL to FG.

Similar to what happened in EastEnders then...

Jack bonked Roxy and had baby Amy, he then bonked Ronnie (again!) and Ronnie had baby James. James was Amy's half brother and also Amy's cousin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    I'm not surprised. They are all related to each other somehow :D
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get upset by the most inane things. It isn't against the law, it isn't even real life.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't agree more OP I find the set up very strange. As people have rightly pointed out Peter and Lola are not related so are few to have a relationship in the eyes of the law but the fact she is the mother of his cousin makes it so weird. If he married Lola he would be stepdad to his own cousin :confused: If Kathy was still alive and living with the Beales it highlight how odd the set up is as she would be Peter's own grandmother as well as his stepdaughters grandmother. :o
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    The whole thing confuses me to be rightfully honest >.<

I didn't realise until this thread that Peter is related to Lexi. Now I do and it's oh so confusing hahaha

Only in Eastenders xD
  • Options
    Rueben_ClaraRueben_Clara Posts: 186
    Forum Member

Jack bonked Roxy and had baby Amy, he then bonked Ronnie (again!) and Ronnie had baby James. James was Amy's half brother and also Amy's cousin.
    Didn't Jack sleep with Sam as well? I'm sure they had a child. Peter and Lola don't bother me as they are not related. I think the "budding childhood romance" between Tiffany and Bobby was more worrying. Not from the children, more from the adults. Bobby and Tiffany are cousins, which the adults do not seem to remember.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really disliked Jack for inseminating all those Mitchell women and then to not be a part of that child's life leaving them to magically find out about their sister-cousin-brothers later in life. Personally, I hope Sam has given up Richard for adoption or he's dead then he wont be so much of an ambomination

:/
  • Options
    KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are fine. Lauren and Joey on the other hand
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter and Lola aren't a problem, it's the fact that she slept with Ben in the first place.

The Beales haven't acknowledged Lexi at all though. I would have thought that Peter might have done when he said he didn't mind paying for nappies, but nope.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Three-quarter sibling, as Roxy and Ronnie are full siblings.

Richard is Amy's half brother and second cousin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They are fine. Lauren and Joey on the other hand
    Kim_x wrote: »
    Peter and Lola aren't a problem, it's the fact that she slept with Ben in the first place.

The Beales haven't acknowledged Lexi at all though. I would have thought that Peter might have done when he said he didn't mind paying for nappies, but nope.

These are problems, yes, but they've been and gone Lexi has been born, Lauren and Joey have already had a relationship, but it isnt to late for Peter and Lola, their relationship is something that can/should/needs to be stopped now!

Its not a problem now, but the more support it gets, the more chance it has of leading to marriage and then that's when they'll become family and things would become confusing.

It's different when you enter a relationship with someone with a child, because you're effectively offering to be that child's parent. What happens when Lexi start's calling Peter "Dad"? Dearie me! pass the sick bucket
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are problems, yes, but they've been and gone Lexi has been born, Lauren and Joey have already had a relationship, but it isnt to late for Peter and Lola, their relationship is something that can/should/needs to be stopped now!

Its not a problem now, but the more support it gets, the more chance it has of leading to marriage and then that's when they'll become family and things would become confusing.

It's different when you enter a relationship with someone with a child, because you're effectively offering to be that child's parent. What happens when Lexi start's calling Peter "Dad"? Dearie me! pass the sick bucket

Plenty of people adopt or become guardians of other family members. It's not sick. If Lexi did grow up calling Peter dad - which would never happen anyway as Phil is her granddad - there would be nothing wrong with it. Just as there is nothing wrong with the relationship between Peter and Lola.