All Windows services stopped and will not restart

While removing some malware my system has stopped functioning. No services will turn on and restore just hangs. It was Search Protect that screwed me up and I think either Hitman Pro or adware killed my services accidentally. But I should be sble to restart them, and all I get is access denied. Dunno why restore won't wirk either; have even tried it in safe mode.

Now looking at reinstalling Windows. 😡 Any help or advice appreciated.

Thx
TH

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    All Windows services stopped and will not restart

Sorry to hear that because l know what a complete pain reinstallation can be and I hope things get sorted out (which Windows operating system do you have, btw?).

If you end up having to do a complete reinstallation, I'd suggest trying a couple of the modern linux variants first to see if you can get on with them before you put back your Windows OS because that way you're very much less likely to experience malware issues again.

Links:
    http://zorin-os.com/
    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2626
    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2627
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Thanks. That bleeping computer forum looks to be very technical. Not sure they coulf help. Using win 7 64 bit, and the other program eas adwcleaner...
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried booting from W7 Repair Disc and selecting System Restore?

Start search Backup and Restore to get an option on the left to make a disc.

(it may still hang if the restore points are stuffed)
    Or press Windows key+R and type cmd Then Type sfc /scannow

Can you create another User Account with Admin Rights and see if that has a full set of working services? Would still require you to re-install all your software and copy data over from old account.

You could also make a full W7 disc and do a Repair Install (in-place upgrade). instead of a full clean install to see if that works.

You can download the iso file to make the disc here
    http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Good Luck
    Forum Member
    Have you tried booting from W7 Repair Disc and selecting System Restore?

Start search Backup and Restore to get an option on the left to make a disc.

(it may still hang if the restore points are stuffed)
    Or press Windows key+R and type cmd Then Type sfc /scannow

Can you create another User Account with Admin Rights and see if that has a full set of working services? Would still require you to re-install all your software and copy data over from old account.

You could also make a full W7 disc and do a Repair Install (in-place upgrade). instead of a full clean install to see if that works.

You can download the iso file to make the disc here
    http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Good Luck

l second that and once a Windows operating system has been restored as per RobinOfLoxley's constructive suggestions above, it might be worth preparing a rescue CD to deal with the likes of heavily malware-infested systems from reputable sources such as Avira, Comodo and Kasperski just in case.
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys, I'm back online now, but had to again completely reinstall Windows. No repair option on my disc for some reason, and when I tried to make a rescue disc it refused to do so.

Will now make a backup but have to clear out a lot of space (660 plus gig for a backup???) or get a new drive before I can do that.

Thanks again for the help. Hope I don't have to do this again.

Incidentally, anyone any ideas why this happened?

Best
    TH
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trollheart wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I'm back online now, but had to again completely reinstall Windows. No repair option on my disc for some reason, and when I tried to make a rescue disc it refused to do so.

Will now make a backup but have to clear out a lot of space (660 plus gig for a backup???) or get a new drive before I can do that.

Thanks again for the help. Hope I don't have to do this again.

Incidentally, anyone any ideas why this happened?

Best
    TH
    Clear space from where? The implication of that sentence is you are making a backup to the same drive as the source? I hope that is not what you meant!

Use an external USB hard drive for the back-up. Preferably have two separate storage devices, eg the aforementioned USB drive, a NAS drive, cloud storage or even DVDs.

And you really only need to back-up the data. If you have a Windows install disk and the installers for all your programs there isn't that big a need to back those up. The data is far more important.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Image my C: drive to another partition on the same drive for speed and convenience.

But that is only a precaution against corruption and having to do a clean install.
    I do that because System restore is so useless. (Why has it been so useless for so many years? Why has it never been improved?)

My Images are also backed up to a USB2 External 500GB drive, as a precaution against HDD failure (as mentioned)

A 70GB Image takes 1hr10mins or so for me.

I keep video files on a separate partition and do not back them up. They are all replaceable, or I am not that bothered if they are lost, being mostly archive recordings from PVR or DVD backups or downloads.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trollheart wrote: »
    Thanks. That bleeping computer forum looks to be very technical. Not sure they coulf help. Using win 7 64 bit, and the other program eas adwcleaner...

they are very technical - but they're used to dealing with idiots (I know) - basically I think it's a bunch of IT support guys that practice what they do for a day job in their spare time. You start off posting a vague enquiry, they will guide you to what you should have asked :-)
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Clear space from where? The implication of that sentence is you are making a backup to the same drive as the source? I hope that is not what you meant!

Use an external USB hard drive for the back-up. Preferably have two separate storage devices, eg the aforementioned USB drive, a NAS drive, cloud storage or even DVDs.

And you really only need to back-up the data. If you have a Windows install disk and the installers for all your programs there isn't that big a need to back those up. The data is far more important.

No of course not. I meant clear space off one of my external hdds, all three of which are currently almost full. But I'm ordering two new 4tb ones so once they arrive I can use space on one of those.
    Forum Member
    I Image my C: drive to another partition on the same drive for speed and convenience.

But that is only a precaution against corruption and having to do a clean install.
    I do that because System restore is so useless. (Why has it been so useless for so many years? Why has it never been improved?)

My Images are also backed up to a USB2 External 500GB drive, as a precaution against HDD failure (as mentioned)

A 70GB Image takes 1hr10mins or so for me.

I keep video files on a separate partition and do not back them up. They are all replaceable, or I am not that bothered if they are lost, being mostly archive recordings from PVR or DVD backups or downloads.

...and that can be done with the free version of Macrium Reflect right here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx (other similar software is available)