Options

UK adopting the EURO

gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
Forum Member
✭✭
I think that the UK will ultimately leave the EU.

I think that if we REALLY REALLY wanted to be in the EU, our politicians would have persuaded us that we should adopt the EURO, and not wait for a (mythical) time when circumstances will be right.

The fact that thy haven't is either because they are scared of a (non-existent) public backlash, or because at the heart of it, they want to retain the possibility of withdrawal.

(Or maybe it's just so that their banker friends can make billions out of changing our holiday money. I would hate to think that might be the case)

Hence, I think we will ultimately withdraw.

(for similar reasons, 50 years ago, we should have changed our roads to drive on the right - it's a much bigger job to do that now)

Comments

• Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry em wait I didn't get eh emmmmmm.......

What?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think that if we REALLY REALLY wanted to be in the EU, our politicians would have persuaded us that we should adopt the EURO, and not wait for a (mythical) time when circumstances will be right.

The fact that thy haven't is either because they are scared of a (non-existent) public backlash, or because at the heart of it, they want to retain the possibility of withdrawal.

(Or maybe it's just so that their banker friends can make billions out of changing our holiday money. I would hate to think that might be the case)

(for similar reasons, 50 years ago, we should have changed our roads to drive on the right - it's a much bigger job to do that now)

it didn't happen and won't happen because of Threadneedle Street. The worlds capital of spivs and charlatans much prefer the ability to manipulate on their own terms, beholden to the ECB is never going to happen.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Blair wanted us to join the Euro but Brown put a stop to it. It was one of the few good things that Brown did.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    we don't just have one politician. they do change.

but it will be a long time before any of them dare to suggest we join the slow car crash that is the €
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or maybe Black Wednesday convinced them that tying together the currencies of disparate economies too closely is a bad idea. Difficult to believe I know but occasionally our politicians get something right

Jesus - how much money do you take on holiday then?
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    Blair wanted us to join the Euro but Brown put a stop to it. It was one of the few good things that Brown did.

Brown deserves knighthood for that
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I eventually left university, and began making my way in journalism in the mid- and late-1990s, I was flung into the maelstrom of reporting and commenting on the UK’s national debate on joining the euro. And I was shocked.

Practically noone involved – certainly not the politicians, and very few media commentators – had the slightest idea about the history of previous monetary unions or the technical issues involved in setting up and maintaining a single currency. To attempt to articulate such details was to be seen as a weirdo.

What I witnessed instead, from the inside, was an entirely political, almost tribal debate. It was all about trading easy slogans, vague generalizations and ad hominem attacks – amidst a near vacuum of actual knowledge. The most telling aspect of the euro debate during those Blairite years was that it wasn’t easy being against. To oppose membership, even on technical grounds, was to be a little Englander, a xenophobe and a crank.

Yet us cranks were right. The single currency was and is a disaster, a monetary straitjacket that is crippling Southern Europe and, across the continent, spreading despair and ever-growing mistrust. Faith in “status quo” parties is ebbing, nationalism is on the march and much of the region remains in the economic doldrums. In Italy, GDP is still 9pc below where it was at the time of the Lehman collapse, while its 12pc adrift in Greece – a country that, together with Spain, still has over 25pc unemployment.

http://liamhalligan.com/2014/06/01/can-we-have-a-sensible-debate-about-the-eu/
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Brown deserves knighthood for that

4th in a list of five.

And after you've bunged him his knighthood - for committing the UK to bailing out the Euro (even though we weren't a part of it), he should be frogmarched through Traitor's Gate into the Tower of London for a lengthy stretch.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely the best thing the last government did to stay out of that train wreck currency.

It was a nice idea on paper but was never going to work in the long term.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Definitely the best thing the last government did to stay out of that train wreck currency.

It was a nice idea on paper but was never going to work in the long term.

It was major's government which didn't take us in to the Euro.

I suppose Blair's didn't either. But it wasn't really on the cards then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately there are still politicians who would like us to join the Euro. Paddy Backdown is one and I bet Ken Clarke wants us to join the Euro too (he really is a lone voice in the Conservative Party now.)
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »

The Euro didn't exist until 1999 so the Tories certainly could join it. :)

Major was instrumental in shadowing the Deuchmark with the eventual possibility of joining the Euro until Black Wednesday, when it was off the cards. The 'bastards' wouldn't have put up with joining the ERM again.
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    4th in a list of five.

And after you've bunged him his knighthood - for committing the UK to bailing out the Euro (even though we weren't a part of it), he should be frogmarched through Traitor's Gate into the Tower of London for a lengthy stretch.

He did?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Euro and the EU are not intertwined, as we're proving.

Even a massive Europhile like me recognises that the idea of a single currency over an area of massive difference was quite obviously flawed.

I don't see why we can't carry on inside Europe, but retaining the pound - as has been happening for the last 14(?) years since the Euro was adopted.

I don't understand why you think it has to be an 'all or nothing'.
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

You've got a short memory. The Liberals were completely in favour, as was much of the Labour party, including the PM. There was even a 'Conservatives for Europe group who wanted us in, not forgetting the likes of Clarke, Heath and a few other tory grandees. There really was a head wind behind the campaign for Britain to join the Euro then, and it was primarily Brown that kept us out.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We will be forced to join the Euro eventually.

Our continued massive trade deficit makes a collapse in the pound inevitable.

Joining the EURO is the only way to alleviate the massive economic disaster that would cause.

We would need a Greece/Ireland style bailout, but that is preferable the other option.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont see us joining the EU anytime soon
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »

Hmm, we've been part of the EU for many years, did you not get the memo?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

Even a massive Europhile like me recognises that the idea of a single currency over an area of massive difference was quite obviously flawed.

I don't see why we can't carry on inside Europe, but retaining the pound - as has been happening for the last 14(?) years since the Euro was adopted.

I think thats we get beat up regularly. We dont really want to be completely in, do we?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »

I see somebodies brain really failed to engage here :D
    I think thats we get beat up regularly. We dont really want to be completely in, do we?

Well, I know in any referendum I'll be voting for the EU :)
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see somebodies brain really failed to engage here :D
    no someone brain has alcohol ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Well, I know in any referendum I'll be voting for the EU :)

Without massive political reform, in a referendum I would most definitely vote to leave!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without massive political reform, in a referendum I would most definitely vote to leave!

I hope you have faith in our political system :D
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    A single currency makes sense in a single market. But to work properly it requires fiscal union: central control of budgets and taxation. The lack of fiscal union in the EU is the main reason for the euro's difficulties. The eurozone will ultimately put this right by joining in ever closer fiscal union.

The disadvantage of a single currency is that a single interest rate does not suit different regional economies. But all economies suffer from this to some extent. So it's not a show stopper.

I suggest these were at least two of the main reasons UK politicians did not take the UK into the Euro. They didn't like the loss of political control that a correctly operated single currency implies. I suspect the City wasn't keen either, and advised against it.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They are intertwined and will become more so. Despite any comforting assurances from Merkel et al to the contrary - and it's plain to see from the Juncker episode how worthless such assurances are - pretty much all of the EU will become a single European state based on the Euro and it will act as one in its best interests. However, the legislation it passes in its interests will become British law, even though it will not necessarily be in our best interests.
    The only logical thing for the UK to do is withdraw from the EU and trade with the union through a bilateral agreement.