Options

Opinions of Mrs. Brown's Boys?

Comments

• Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Comedy being subjective isn't really related to whether something is good or bad though. Comedy being subjective is whether a particular person likes or dislikes a show or finds a show funny. The 'good or bad' issue is about the quality of the show. These are two different things.

I appreciate the point you're making, however all I can say is that you may view things that way, but I don't. I either like, dislike or don't care either way about a TV programme. Other than like=good, dislike=bad, I wouldn't make a judgement on quality. Which, to a large extent, is also subjective.
    446.09375 wrote: »
    I find that ITV1 requires less brainpower to watch than other channels - and I thought that was a fairly general opinion :D

May or may not be true, but what does that have to do with your original comment?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was forced to sit through an episode. My mates laughing away and asking why I wasn't laughing.

Because it's ****ing terrible! I polietly replied to them

i kept reading on my facebooks about my mates pissing themselved laughing. i tried watching it and only managed 5mins. i just found it weird
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    It's better than most of the nonsense that the BBC puts out these days. I find it to be incredibly witty.

It's like Gavin and Stacey, people worshipped that show, but I couldn't stand it. I thought it was awful.

Thats because G&S isnt a comedy its a sitcom.

While its unfunny ill watch it if its on. It seems more like a drama really.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats because G&S isnt a comedy its a sitcom.

Eh?

A sitcom is a type of comedy. Do you know what sitcom stands for?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh?

A sitcom is a type of comedy. Do you know what sitcom stands for?

Yes but G & S has absolutely no funny bits whatsoever.

Of course I know what a sitcom is. I grew up on OFITG, KUA, so yeah I know its a comedy. Just saying G&S is more like a drama about a family than a comedy.

I dunno it seems half say get it half say no. Well I was brought up on Jim Davison., Chubby Brown and Bottom. So of course I love dirty humour.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I seem bits and can't stand it

I do read it's supposed it be like a 70's sitcom well as I love 70's sitcoms is all I can say is they failed I guess it's more like a bad parody of a 70's sitcom.

Though TBH I can count on one hand the amount of comedy's/sitcoms I have liked in the past 25 years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but G & S [Gavin and Stacey] has absolutely no funny bits whatsoever.

Again, eh?

What a strange comment to make. Do you mean Gavin and Stacey has no bits which you found funny?

Of course I know what a sitcom is.

A minute ago you were saying something was a 'sitcom not a comedy.' A sitcom IS a comedy.

I was brought up on Jim Davison [sic] (and) Chubby Brown

I don't think that's anything to brag about.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Brown is an innocent, fun show that DOES have plenty of laughs in it. Some people take comedy shows way wayyy too seriously (my dad is one of these people...).

In the first episode Mammy turns to the audience and says 'it's a man in a f**kin dress!' The whole show is a laugh, a pisstake as well as being a nod to classic stage-like sitcoms.

Maybe it doesn't fit in the current climate where many viewers have been brainwashed into worrying about every single line a character says and how that could offend someone, themselves included. Though it should fit in today. People need to lighten up!
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surreal thread. I see obsessive fans of the supremely shi.t Big Brother programme on here vilifying fans of a harmless sitcom like Mrs Browns Boys.

Crazy stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having watched an episode of this previously and found it horrific, (as I've mentioned in this thread already) I decided to give it another chance as best as I could and started to watch it from the beginning of the first series.

I managed to bear about 3 minutes of the show before having to give up. The thing is, there WAS a funny joke in there: Mrs Brown throws a tin of dog food outside for the dog and then says 'I forgot to open it' and opens the door and throws the tin-opener out as well. That to me is a reasonably clever gag and made me chuckle. I could quite happily watch half an hour episodes which were filled with jokes like that. I like that sort of humour. However, it's the fact that most of the laughs (ie the rest of the 3 minutes I saw) are meant to be because a man dressed as an old woman, is saying filthy things in an over-exaggerated Irish accent, with the word 'fecking' added in to sentences more often than not, followed by mass amounts of laughter which I'm not sure is coming from the supposedly live audience. That's what makes the program so out-dated, predictable, obvious and totally unwatchable for me.

I remember the program 'Chewin' The Fat' had a sketch of an old woman saying filthy things you wouldn't expect an old woman to say. This was quite funny and worked well as it was only perhaps a 2-minute sketch out of the half hour show each week, but even then, once you'd laughed a few times at the fact that it was an old lady saying filthy things, there wasn't really anywhere else they could take the character. Basing whole series of half-hour shows around this concept, as Mrs Brown's Boys does, is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Brown is an innocent, fun show that DOES have plenty of laughs in it. Some people take comedy shows way wayyy too seriously (my dad is one of these people...).

In the first episode Mammy turns to the audience and says 'it's a man in a f**kin dress!' The whole show is a laugh, a pisstake as well as being a nod to classic stage-like sitcoms.

Maybe it doesn't fit in the current climate where many viewers have been brainwashed into worrying about every single line a character says and how that could offend someone, themselves included. Though it should fit in today. People need to lighten up!

In another episode, Mrs Brown makes a gag about the punchline to one of her own jokes being so lame that the entire audience must have seen it coming, so they're well able to laugh at themselves.

Brendan O'Carroll would actually agree with what the critics are saying. It's dated, old fashioned, simple and unsophisticated comedy, a throwback to the sitcoms of the 1970s with some coarse language thrown in but I'm sure he would argue that it is funny too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find it funny at all, but I'm more or less the only person on my Facebook who doesn't love it. Although, these are also people who find Celebrity Juice funny.

I dont get it either . Although I was the only person in the world to dislike Only Fools and Horses and Father Ted.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    loracan wrote: »
    People have different opinions - it doesn't mean they're dumb or unsophisticated, get over it.

Yes it does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I'm in two minds about this show.

On the positive side, there’s some snappy one-liners and I like how they’ve managed to avoid criticisms of ‘out-dated studio sitcom’ by having the characters aware they’re in a sitcom (the deliberate out-takes are a very innovative touch).

But I like a comedy series to have a team of well-rounded characters. Here, there are so many characters but only Mrs. B gets the funny lines, and most of those funny lines have lost their impact after the first few episodes (having the f-word in every joke does not make it funny!)

Overall, not bad for a quick laugh, but give me Mrs. Bucket any day!
  • Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen bits, it didn't really appeal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..........Though TBH I can count on one hand the amount of comedy's/sitcoms I have liked in the past 25 years

Care to tell us what they were, since it's not going to take long.
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Surreal thread. I see obsessive fans of the supremely shi.t Big Brother programme on here vilifying fans of a harmless sitcom like Mrs Browns Boys..............

To be fair, there's been very little name-calling directed at those who disagree with the poster. Most people are sticking to comments about the show. Unlike in threads about the "emperor's new clothes" type 'comedies'.
    ............. The thing is, there WAS a funny joke in there: Mrs Brown throws a tin of dog food outside for the dog and then says 'I forgot to open it' and opens the door and throws the tin-opener out as well. That to me is a reasonably clever gag and made me chuckle. I could quite happily watch half an hour episodes which were filled with jokes like that...........

In my opinion, most of the humour is of that type - something you just don't expect. Like the cliched ending of her sitting in a darkened kitchen with the shadow of a venetian blind across her face and body.....been done hundreds of times. Except for "hang on, we don't have venetian blinds".

And the fact that the lead is a man is taken advantage of for comedy very rarely. The show would probably work just as well with a woman in the lead.
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried it also - didnt laugh at all - so quite pleased there are other people on here in a similar situation (thought I was losing it!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Care to tell us what they were, since it's not going to take long.

Keeping Up Appearances

One Foot In The Grave

Red Dwarf

You Rang M'lord

Oh, Doctor Beeching

I think stuff like Waiting For God -The Brittas Empire-The Vicar Of Dibley and Goodnight Sweetheart were OK (well watchable) but not great.

I would also say Green Green Grass was OK but as that was a spin off to OFAH I consider it part if that so it's older than 25 years old and the same goes for Grace and Favour (Are you been Served? spin off)
  • Options
    Inseriousity.Inseriousity. Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    And the fact that the lead is a man is taken advantage of for comedy very rarely. The show would probably work just as well with a woman in the lead.

Yes the 'it's a man dressed as a woman, this show is terrible' criticism doesn't make sense for me. Now and again they'll make little references to it but by and large, Mrs Brown is a woman.
    Comedy being subjective isn't really related to whether something is good or bad though. Comedy being subjective is whether a particular person likes or dislikes a show or finds a show funny. The 'good or bad' issue is about the quality of the show. These are two different things.

There are plenty of good things that I don't like and equally there are plenty of bad things that I do like.

So, for example, I don't like Pink Floyd, but that doesn't mean I think they are bad or poor quality, they're just not suited to my musical tastes. Equally, I do like Geordie Shore, however, I can see that it's awful television, in terms of quality. In the case of Mrs Brown's Boys, I don't like it AND it is awful.

While they are two different things, they are both subjective. For example, my brother also likes Geordie Shore but when I tell him it's awful (subjective), he goes 'it's mint.' Just because the dominant opinion of a TV show may give the appearance of objectivity, it is still largely subjective because people watch things for a variety of reasons and have different life experiences that may or may not influence their opinion on what they are watching.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparantly the stage show is much better.

It was pretty big as a touring stage show. They used to sell out theatres for a week so the audience has obviously naturally migrated to the television show
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I love Mrs. Brown's Boys. Yes, it's old fashioned, not particularly sophisticated and rather crude, but it never fails to make me laugh out loud. At the end of the day, comedy is subjective. I know lots of people liked The Office and Nighty Night, but I didn't. It's all down to personal taste after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keeping Up Appearances

One Foot In The Grave

Red Dwarf

You Rang M'lord

Oh, Doctor Beeching

I think stuff like Waiting For God -The Brittas Empire-The Vicar Of Dibley and Goodnight Sweetheart were OK (well watchable) but not great.

I would also say Green Green Grass was OK but as that was a spin off to OFAH I consider it part if that so it's older than 25 years old and the same goes for Grace and Favour (Are you been Served? spin off)

Thanks for that - an interesting choice. I think shows like "you ran..." and "oh, doc..." should have been given more of a chance to develop. "Green green grass" grew on me (no pun intended); on first showing I thought it was just a whole bunch of comedy cliches, but I'll happily watch repeats.

The surprising element is what isn't there : the jewels in TV comedies' crown : Blackadder and Fawlty Towers. Both of which made the wise decision to quit when they were at the top.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that - an interesting choice. I think shows like "you ran..." and "oh, doc..." should have been given more of a chance to develop. "Green green grass" grew on me (no pun intended); on first showing I thought it was just a whole bunch of comedy cliches, but I'll happily watch repeats.

The surprising element is what isn't there : the jewels in TV comedies' crown : Blackadder and Fawlty Towers. Both of which made the wise decision to quit when they were at the top.

They are more than 25 years old before the mid 80's I like most of the stuff it's harder to find something I don't like

As for "you ran..." and "oh, doc..." they were David Croft and he didn't go wrong very often especially if Jimmy Perry was involved (Even Come Back Mrs. Noah is better than most stuff out today)
  • Options
    PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not good, lasted about a minute or two into first episode and then it went off. Too cheesy and dated. These 70s style sitcoms seem to becoming a trend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keeping Up Appearances

One Foot In The Grave

Red Dwarf

You Rang M'lord

Oh, Doctor Beeching

Wow, you certainly have a type.

I'm not having a go when I say this, but I'm more than a bit baffled and intrigued as to how someone could find Keeping Up Appearances funny and not find Father Ted, The Royle Family, The Office, Peep Show or Extras funny. Have you've not seen any of these?