The Tennis Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Break.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Looks like the tie is slowly slipping away - unless James Ward can perform another miracle!
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great tennis and a great match. Good on the BBC for showing it but sadly Jon Lloyd is a hopeless summariser. His predictions are about as useful as those of Robbie Savage.
  • shadowassassinshadowassassin Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, it appears this set and match is virtually done now. Any hope for Ward?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Great tennis and a great match. Good on the BBC for showing it but sadly Jon Lloyd is a hopeless summariser. His predictions are about as useful as those of Robbie Savage.

Agreed. He's terrible, always has been.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it best of 5 sets? Or is it 3?
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Fiddlesticks.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    greengran wrote: »
    Isn't it best of 5 sets? Or is it 3?

Best of 5 but I don't think it will get to that. Muzza is knackered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is Fabio crying?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Fabio crying?

He realises what a beast he's been today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    He realises what a beast he's been today.

lol :D He's a strange character.
    Forum Member
    lol :D He's a strange character.

He is one might say - very Italian. Murray also epitomises in a sense the dour Scot.

They represent their countries well.
  • shadowassassinshadowassassin Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any reason murray was picked first? Couldn't he have played the second match if needed and had the extra rest?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any reason murray was picked first? Couldn't he have played the second match if needed and had the extra rest?

I was thinking the same. Leon Smith has a lot to answer for if GB lose this tie.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking the same. Leon Smith has a lot to answer for if GB lose this tie.

You have to nominate your 1 and 2 then I think it's random which order they play on the final day. I don't think this has anything to do with Leon.
    Forum Member

Why - does Leon Smith control the weather and the draw and Andy's energy levels?

Andy had two play the equivalent of 2 matches yesterday because of the bad light and rain on Friday - and its not certain Ross Hutchins would have performed better and won the doubles with Fleming.

Also Andy and Fognini are the No 1s and play each other on the final day. The order is determined by the draw - he can't play Seppi twice.

It does expose however that without Andy we aren't a world group team - and without Leon Smith we wouldn't have got to a place where Andy could take us to world group level.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Fognini could keep it together he could do well at FO. Still think he is a tosser though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    You have to nominate your 1 and 2 then I think it's random which order they play on the final day. I don't think this has anything to do with Leon.

I was referring to his decision to pick Andy for the doubles. He should have rested Andy, especially considering he couldn't practice after his stomach bug and his back not being 100%.
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was referring to his decision to pick Andy for the doubles. He should have rested Andy, especially considering he couldn't practice after his stomach bug and his back not being 100%.

If he didn't pick Andy and GB lost the doubles people would have wanted his head on a plate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If he didn't pick Andy and GB lost the doubles people would have wanted his head on a plate.

The top GB doubles players have so much experience they would have beaten Italy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The top GB doubles players have so much experience they would have beaten Italy.

They might have. It's not like they would have been big favourites so could easily have lost as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nevermind, Wardy is in with a chance this afternoon. :p
    Forum Member
    Well the one good thing about today so far is that we will get more telly on the BBC - as they will now show the 5th rubber.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    I was thinking of going too. The tickets don't seem that expensive to me...:confused: But it has been promoted to a premier event which might explain any price rise. I mainly wanna see Laura and Heather play..hopefully they won't still be injured by then...:blush:

They aren't too expensive on the scale of other things, it just seems to have taken a huge jump in the last couple of years. I'll wait and see the entry list to see if it's better than usual with it being upgraded this year.

I don't live in England so it costs me a fair bit on travel etc and it adds up to a fairly significant amount. Only once have I been and actually seen a full day's play due to the rain. :D
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Italian pair have had a lot of success, especially on clay. Yesterday's win for GB was an upset.
This discussion has been closed.