Options

Linux Users general chat thread.

Comments

• Options
    Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Den_Clarke wrote: »
    my question is this..how do i place a desk-top short cut..for say ebay?

I mostly work with Puppy Linux, but if I wanted to make a desktop launcher icon for a specific website I would do it by making a simple script to launch the browser and point it to the website.

Then I would grab a suitable icon and associate it with the script. This can simply be dragged onto the desktop as a launcher icon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    That is unfortunate news and I hope that the funds and volunteers can be found to continue the valuable development work. Indeed, the end of support for Win XP and the complete clusterf_ck that is Win 8 means that viable alternatives to Microsoft (and indeed Apple) are needed more than ever. I honestly don't know how these developers can invest so much time since they're dependent on what advertising revenue they can get plus relatively small donations coming in (the largest ones generally seem to be about $20 or so). I hope that people can at least give what they can afford.

Although I don't expect it'll happen (herding cats and all that), I can't help but think that future development ought perhaps to be concentrated on the most promising Linux distributions just as open source office suite development is now concentrated around Libre Office and Open Office.

It is indeed very worrying, and why I try to donate money whenever I can to my favourite projects. At the end of the day the user wins out in this way, and this is why I like the Mint way of doing things. The lead developer (Clem) has already said he is not trying to build a big super-corporation, and is just enjoying how it works at the moment. The users like it and donate, the sponsorship and ad stuff works because there's a good userbase, and the OS improves all the time.

Well, third attempt at Ubuntu this morning resulted is failure again so I'm going to try Ubuntu. I did install Manjaro with Gnome and it seemed to go well, but it failed to reboot. So now I'm going to give Kubuntu 14.04 a go. Usually very reliable. Really I only want this for a secondary OS as Mint will remain my main system, but I'm amazed how tricky this is proving.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which Ubuntu forum (other than here:)) is the best for advice:

http://askubuntu.com/
    or
    http://ubuntuforums.org/

Each one seems to have a large community.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nailz wrote: »
    Which Ubuntu forum (other than here:)) is the best for advice:

http://askubuntu.com/
    or
    http://ubuntuforums.org/

Each one seems to have a large community.

Use both. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kubuntu 14.04 installed no problems at all. How comes this works but main Ubuntu doesn't? Well, whatever the reason, I am thrilled with what seems to be a fantastic release. No great improvements over the last one, but solid and fast. Mint next!
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Kubuntu 14.04 installed no problems at all. How comes this works but main Ubuntu doesn't? Well, whatever the reason, I am thrilled with what seems to be a fantastic release. No great improvements over the last one, but solid and fast. Mint next!

Hmm strange :confused:

these guys give a great review of 14.04
    http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/55477/ubuntu-14-04-review-las-s31e09/
    starts at abiut 34min.

Re Mint ... wasnt aware cinnamon 2.2 was out.
    http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/04/cinnamon-2-2/

they review that at about 20mins
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    Re Mint ... wasnt aware cinnamon 2.2 was out.
    http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/04/cinnamon-2-2/
    s

Saw the Cinnamon 2.2 news last week and am interested in trying it out next month in Mint 17, but to be honest 2.0 was an almost perfect release for me so i'm not sure what they could actually improve (aside from the date and time stuff which was the only thing 2.0 lacked for me and is fixed in 2.2).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    thank you oscar..thats a good idea..but for me i still dont know to much about PCs.i doubt i would know how to do as you mentioned,im stll learning..:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @ Den_Clarke
    Alternatively if it is just for a specific website I presume there is an easy way to place a launcher on your desktop which opens your browser. Methods for this will vary depending on your desktop environment. From there if you have your ebay or whatever set up as a prominent bookmark or button within the browser it is just a total of two quick clicks to get there.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    @ Den_Clarke
    Alternatively if it is just for a specific website I presume there is an easy way to place a launcher on your desktop which opens your browser. Methods for this will vary depending on your desktop environment. From there if you have your ebay or whatever set up as a prominent bookmark or button within the browser it is just a total of two quick clicks to get there.

With xfce, i just bookmark the page/site i want, then drag drop that bookmark onto desktop, then just click on icon on desktop, site opens up.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    With xfce, i just bookmark the page/site i want, then drag drop that bookmark onto desktop, then just click on icon on desktop, site opens up.

I assign keyboard shortcuts to my frequently used websites in Google Chrome. Right -click on the address bar and choose 'Edit Search Engines ...'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Free Linux guide-

Guide to KDE: The Other Linux Desktop.

Just spotted this on Distrowatch, and found a link that didn't require you to register. Downloaded the PDF and the epub for our Kobo. :) It's pretty recently published too (Nov 2013) so shouldn't be out of date.
  • Options
    Norbert5Norbert5 Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I,m still running Mint 9 because it runs faster than anything I've tried since . The latest Lubuntu is slow in comparison .

Firefox is no longer being updated and was running ff 20 so I downloaded ff 29 and as far as I'm aware it hasn't been installed yet just extracted the files that are now in a folder named firefox .

when I click on the blue firefox icon in that folder firefox 29 is up and running apparently .
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The blue Firefox icon isn't an installer as such.

Try the steps in this article, and see if they work. :)
    http://www.libre-software.net/how-to-install-firefox-on-ubuntu-linux-mint
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went and installed Kubuntu 14.04 after a few years away from KDE (it was sluggish and bloated). I am now a KDE convert, this desktop is just so polished, stable and fast :eek:, not what I remember of KDE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I went and installed Kubuntu 14.04 after a few years away from KDE (it was sluggish and bloated). I am now a KDE convert, this desktop is just so polished, stable and fast :eek:, not what I remember of KDE.

Gotta say, I am really considering it for my main OS now over Mint. Their new release had better be good... :D

Kubuntu 14.04 has been really excellent so far. The only minor issues I've had have been with a couple of dated widgets (for which I found a fix) and a minor graphical problem on thumbnails (which again had an easy fix). But otherwise it's such a smooth and silky desktop. The last release was fantastic too, but I could easily see myself using this for the next five years.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I'm having a problem installing Linux - can somebody please help?

I tried following these instructions
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/linux/3351312/how-install-ubuntu-using-usb-flash-drive/
    and created the USB drive as it described using the "Universal USB installer" utility.

I then changed the BIOS settings to boot the machine from the USB drive and the machine is showing
    "This kernal requires an x-86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernal appropriate for your CPU".
    The machine is an Asus eee PC 1000H Intel Atom 1.6GHz processor - 1GB RAM.

So it looks like I'm trying to install the wrong version of Ubuntu - so which is the right one? At the moment the machine is running XP but I have no further use for that and it can now be removed, will the USB installation I have created do that?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    I'm having a problem installing Linux - can somebody please help?

I tried following these instructions
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/linux/3351312/how-install-ubuntu-using-usb-flash-drive/
    and created the USB drive as it described using the "Universal USB installer" utility.

I then changed the BIOS settings to boot the machine from the USB drive and the machine is showing
    "This kernal requires an x-86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernal appropriate for your CPU".
    The machine is an Asus eee PC 1000H Intel Atom 1.6GHz processor - 1GB RAM.

So it looks like I'm trying to install the wrong version of Ubuntu - so which is the right one? At the moment the machine is running XP but I have no further use for that and it can now be removed, will the USB installation I have created do that?

Thanks in advance.
    You need the 32bit version,I think you have downloaded the 64bit version. :)
    The usb installation can fully remove XP but for the time being I would create a dual boot system which can be selected during installation.
  • Options
    henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    For a good guide to dual booting in general see this
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK thanks for these. I have managed to create a 32 bit USB drive and the machine is running in "LIVE CD" mode. Everything is working except I have to use a wired connection to the internet, for some reason Ubuntu isn't seeing the wireless connection (it works perfectly with XP). The Bluetooth is working (I can see it with a mobile phone).

I have looked under the SYSTEM and NETWORK settings (in UBUNTU) and I can't see any reference to the wireless connection or how to add one. The instructions you pointed me to do say get everything working in Live CD mode before installing to the disc. I have been back into XP to look at the network card, it just shows "802.11N wireless Lan card - packet scheduler miniport", the wired LAN shows Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114", not sure if one card does both functions.

Any ideas - thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK thanks for these. I have managed to create a 32 bit USB drive and the machine is running in "LIVE CD" mode. Everything is working except I have to use a wired connection to the internet, for some reason Ubuntu isn't seeing the wireless connection (it works perfectly with XP). The Bluetooth is working (I can see it with a mobile phone).

I have looked under the SYSTEM and NETWORK settings (in UBUNTU) and I can't see any reference to the wireless connection or how to add one. The instructions you pointed me to do say get everything working in Live CD mode before installing to the disc. I have been back into XP to look at the network card, it just shows "802.11N wireless Lan card - packet scheduler miniport", the wired LAN shows Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114", not sure if one card does both functions.

Any ideas - thanks.

I believe the wireless chipset for the eee PC 1000H is Ralink RT2860, and you might have difficulty getting it to work with Ubuntu (or any Linux).

There are probably ways, and somebody may come along to guide you, but my googling suggests any Linux drivers for it don't work on the latest kernels.

You may end up having to buy a USB wireless adaptor that is Linux compatible.
    But don't worry, they are cheap and can be very small and unobtrusive.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xwireless+usb+adaptor+linux&_nkw=wireless+usb+adaptor+linux&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Alternatively you could try some other linux distributions to see if they work out of the box with your present wireless.
    Perhaps ones that aren't Debian based, so openSUSE or Manjaro for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    I believe the wireless chipset for the eee PC 1000H is Ralink RT2860, and you might have difficulty getting it to work with Ubuntu (or any Linux).

There are probably ways, and somebody may come along to guide you, but my googling suggests any Linux drivers for it don't work on the latest kernels.

You may end up having to buy a USB wireless adaptor that is Linux compatible.
    But don't worry, they are cheap and can be very small and unobtrusive.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xwireless+usb+adaptor+linux&_nkw=wireless+usb+adaptor+linux&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Alternatively you could try some other linux distributions to see if they work out of the box with your present wireless.
    Perhaps ones that aren't Debian based, so openSUSE or Manjaro for example.

Thanks - that does look like the right way to go. Reading this
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/Asus-Eee-PC-1000-40GB-SSD-Linux-Edition_Laptop_review
    these machines were offered with a choice of XP or Linux pre-installed, very strange, the wireless connection must have worked at one time:confused:

The only issue now is what to do with XP? This is not my main machine, everything important is on another laptop running W7, I bought the Asus in a sale for a very good price when the sellers were clearing out their last stock of XP machines and I have absolutely no use for XP now. It seems the best solution is to "flatten" the machine and start again and just have Linux. To be honest it always seemed a bit under powered when running XP.

The Linux movement do seem to be missing something here, they really do need to offer something for beginners that "just works", the learning curve can start after that.
    Instead of offering so many distributions, why not have just a few with each one targeted at different user groups, ie general users, gamers, business, industrial, medical and finally scientific / academic?. They have a big opportunity here with the end of XP support, are they going to blow it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks - that does look like the right way to go. Reading this
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/Asus-Eee-PC-1000-40GB-SSD-Linux-Edition_Laptop_review
    these machines were offered with a choice of XP or Linux pre-installed, very strange, the wireless connection must have worked at one time:confused:

The only issue now is what to do with XP? This is not my main machine, everything important is on another laptop running W7, I bought the Asus in a sale for a very good price when the sellers were clearing out their last stock of XP machines and I have absolutely no use for XP now. It seems the best solution is to "flatten" the machine and start again and just have Linux. To be honest it always seemed a bit under powered when running XP.

The Linux movement do seem to be missing something here, they really do need to offer something for beginners that "just works", the learning curve can start after that.
    Instead of offering so many distributions, why not have just a few with each one targeted at different user groups, ie general users, gamers, business, industrial, medical and finally scientific / academic?. They have a big opportunity here with the end of XP support, are they going to blow it?

Obviously, now you know the chipset, you can do your own googling, but on my quick effort I found a guide to get the driver working on Ubuntu 10.04, and also, if you have an Arch based distro like Manjaro, then the driver is seemingly in the Arch User Repository (AUR), so it would be possible to get it working, with a bit of effort.
    But perhaps a bit of a facer for a complete beginner?

Something like Linux Mint or Zorin is really as easy as it can be, for someone moving from XP, but the problem is there are so many hardware variations out there, so would be difficult for Linux to support them all

The trouble with the Linux movement is that there isn't a Linux movement. :D
    Just different groups working on their own distributions, for their own purposes.

At least distros like Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin seem to want to attract new users.
    Some of the more obscure distros, you get the impression that they see the users as just a nuisance and a distraction. :D
  • Options
    SightworthySightworthy Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Here is a video showing you it running EasyPeasy Linux formally known as Ubuntu EEE

EEEpc 1000H Running EasyPeasy Linux
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i5ziZUNvHo

http://www.geteasypeasy.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some time ago, the Puppy Linux community created a variant called "Pupeee" especially for the eee PC, but I think the recent official Puppies like Slacko and Precise will work on those machines. Also Puppy is much lighter on resources than Ubuntu (which many people find to be slower than XP on older and lower-powered machines).

I'm fairly sure there is a driver for that wireless card too. There are networking expert folk on the forum who will always help if you have any problems. Always worth remembering as well that in the case of any wireless adapter that doesn't have a Linux driver (or otherwise doesn't work) there is always the option to try NDISwrapper. This takes an XP driver and uses it to create a Linux driver module for the device. It is included in Puppy and works perfectly for me.