Options

Official Snooker Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Mc-Plant-us!!

two three ball plants in a break of 29!! could this go 9-9?
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Higgins throwing it away.
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow Higgins missing that blue, will haunt him for a long time, well done to Mcmanus
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it a sitter of a blue he missed to cost him the match?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

he potted a great long red and had a thin-ish blue to middle, he was obviously concentrating on avoiding the brown which was close by and overcut the blue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the regular old chap with the medal is back this year.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member

Yes. One of those you take for granted because it's near the bag and try to make the position rather than concentrating on the pot.
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the regular old chap with the medal is back this year.

Captain Birdseye is one of a handful who seems to be part of the furniture. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback on the blue guys
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mcmanus is one frame away from playing Doherty in round 2, welcome to the 90s
    Haha....actually they last met each other at the same stage in 2005.....Angles emerging a 13-11 winner....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just wondering about Judd Trump, he seems to be trying to become an all-round player and doesn't go for his shots as much.

Similar to Shaun Murphy situation, you just wonder if he'll be better off just playing his natural attacking style game, you can be attacking without being over aggressive, its certainly worked for Shaun Murphy.
  • Options
    zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from Sheffield after another interesting morning's play.

It was raining very heavily outside when I arrived in Sheffield, so decided to stay as dry as possible. Not many people were around and about, and most of the players got off a taxi and straight into the Crucible by all accounts (from a couple of people I spoke to later on in the day). I headed in, and soaked up the pre-session atmosphere. Rob Walker mentioned the fact that Alan McManus had to find a belt at the end of the first frame yesterday.

I had Marco Fu v Martin Gould and definitely was the best of the three sessions I'd seen thus far. Fu's century in the first was rather good, and I must admit when he got to the eleventh black, I thought "please let him split the reds nicely" as he was on for a 147 of course. It didn't happen and the collective groan from us all said it - it would have been really special to see one.

The sixth frame was crucial for Gould to win, and he made a great clearance of 46 to nick the frame on the black - and it was a quality break, with reds pretty much near the cushions and out of usual position. He got back to 4-3 before Fu took the last two, and I thought that the second session tomorrow afternoon was going to be a pretty exciting one if the first one was anything to go by.

On the other table, the first frame was 45 minutes or so, meaning Table One was on the third frame by the time McManus nicked it. For me that was a match changer, and soon going 9-4 up proved that. Higgins proved what a tough match player he was though, and at 9-7 and with a chance for 9-8 I thought he might have nicked it, only for the blue to not go down and McManus to get over the line (I had McManus to win 10-8 in the predictions so didn't do too badly!)

Outside it had dried somewhat and all of a sudden a surge of people headed towards the stage door. It turned out Ronnie O'Sullivan was in the building. Needless to say he was pretty popular and was making a fairly quick exit, presumably he'd been in for practice during the morning as his second round game started later in the week.

I headed to Winter Gardens before getting the train home and JP and Ken Doherty were interviewing Michael Wasley and using the touch screen to demonstrate some of the shots. As I walked out post interview I saw Michael with his friend, and so congratulated him on his win the night before, and he kindly posed for a pic as well. He seemed a well rounded bloke actually and I hope he puts up a good performance in the next round.

More pics to follow later...
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Any one else have problems with Eurosport yesterday?

In the afternoon the sound went off for a minute or so but last night in the match decider between Ding and Wasley the sound went off and the picture broke up. I left it for a couple of minutes but it didn't improve.

Luckily it was on the BBC Red Button.

I wouldn't have wanted to miss that finish. It was nail biting stuff!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trump and Hawkins both underperforming this afternoon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Any one else have problems with Eurosport yesterday?

In the afternoon the sound went off for a minute or so but last night in the match decider between Ding and Wasley the sound went off and the picture broke up. I left it for a couple of minutes but it didn't improve.

Luckily it was on the BBC Red Button.

I wouldn't have wanted to miss that finish. It was nail biting stuff!

Yeah the sound was off for me it seemed on the hd channel, but ok on the other one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pics from today (Tuesday) added to my World Championship 2014 set here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/sets/72157644096080706/

The rain put off anything early doors but didn't do too bad once it dried...
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    Captain Birdseye is one of a handful who seems to be part of the furniture. :D

And the old lady wil short curly blond hair who was there at morning and evening session

Always sits at front near curtain
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Yeah the sound was off for me it seemed on the hd channel, but ok on the other one
    I forgot about Eurosport SD :blush:
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish SNOK would turn up again.
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Trump v Ford will have to be ended early. 5 frames in 3 hours!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    I think Trump v Ford will have to be ended early. 5 frames in 3 hours!

Could well be the case. I think the cut off for starting a frame is 45 minutes before the next session is due to start. So if they've started a frame and it turns 6.15pm, it'll be the last of the session.

This is primarily to make sure that the spectators for that session exit the theatre and gives time for the 7pm session entrants to get in and be sat down.

I remember once for a morning session a frame starting around 1.40pm, and it finished 2.20pm. Everyone had to leave very quickly and the 2.30pm session started 5 minutes late because of it (I was waiting outside watching the coverage on the big screen as I had a 2.30pm ticket)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened with Judd? I only watch the Snooker that's on BBC so I miss most of the season but to me Judd seemed to appear on the scene.. took it by storm.. was said to be the next player to dominate the game and then seemed to fizzle out over the last couple of years. I'm not having a go at him.. just wondering where his form went.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judd won two black ball frames in a row. Ford more or less handed him the last one.
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen a banana shot being played before
  • Options
    alxnealxne Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    What happened with Judd? I only watch the Snooker that's on BBC so I miss most of the season but to me Judd seemed to appear on the scene.. took it by storm.. was said to be the next player to dominate the game and then seemed to fizzle out over the last couple of years. I'm not having a go at him.. just wondering where his form went.

Cocky ****
This discussion has been closed.