Artists who hate their own songs.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Paul McCartney apparently hates his Press to Play album. He said something along the lines of "I didn't want to tour an album I didn't like".
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kryskrys wrote: »
    Nicola from Girls Aloud nominated The Loving Kind for worst single of the year at the Popjustice Twenty Quid awards. And I don't think any of Girls Aloud like Sexy! No No No...

it is starting to sound like GA didn't like anything..the real reason they split perhaps? lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Madonna doesn't like Into The Groove.

Neither do I. Never liked that one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    Westlife despised Mandy, they were furious when Simon told them they had to release it as a single.

That's ironic, given that the song is approximately nine billion times better than anything they could ever hope to conceive themselves...
  • alienghostalienghost Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    Pink said she doesn't like the songs on her first R&B album a while ago but she performed a medley of them on her most recent tour for the first time in years. I love those songs...! But she said something about them not representing 'her' as an artist.

Yeah, the stuff she started out with is very different from what she became known for. I remember thinking at the time when I first saw her on TV I thought she'd be a pop-rock singer, then the song started and it was pop-R&B one. Not that they were bad songs per se, but I always thought her style/image clashed with that sort of music, so I wasn't surprised when she released her second album she was a bit more pop-rock, and it's something she's continued with since.

She doesn't like 'Don't Let Me Get Me' much these days apparently, because it's a very much a "teenage" song and now she's a woman in her 30s. It was the song that first made me a fan of Pink actually, but that's because I was a bit of a sulky teenager when it was released.

A really old example of this is Lita Roza, who had a number one single with 'How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?' in 1953. She only recorded it because she was told it would be a big hit (which it turned out to be), but she hated it, and only sang it once to record it and never performed it again.

In a reversal of a trend of artists getting sick of their songs, apparently Morrisey never rated 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' that much, but he likes a bit more these days.
  • rodenboyrodenboy Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only songs Girls Aloud have ever revealed to have disliked are:

See The Day
    The Loving Kind
    Love Machine when it was in its early stages, but they grew to love it when it did well for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Britney absolutely hates "Sometimes", I don't remember where but I saw/read an interview where she said it's her least favourite single and she hates to perform it, hence why it hasn't appeared on the setlist for any of her tours since about 2001 lol.

She said this on her Onyx Hotel Tour. She sang a line or two of it then ran off stage for a costume change or something, as she was leaving the stage she shouted out "I never really liked that song anyway"
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary Barlow states in his autobiography how much TT dislike "I found heaven" which was their second single. He stays they didn't want to release it as a single but the label did. He states its a song they never sing nor is it ever featured on set lists

Ive also seen George Michael say he isn't keen on his voice in early Wham! songs, not the songs as such just how his voice is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Kylie dislikes Especially for You and hates What Kind of Fool (Heard It All Before).
    Miley has said she hates Party In The USA, and now she obviously hates anything she released before We Can't Stop, as she has disowned it all.
    Lily Allen really hates Smile.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I remember reading Madonna saying she would never perform Like a Virgin again unless somebody offered her millions of pounds. It didn't stop her later including it on her MDNA Tour though - albeit completely reworked from the original :D.
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pow wow wrote: »
    Kylie dislikes Especially for You

Unless for charity (Sport Relief) I guess?
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    It's the first time i've heard of Kylie not liking Especially for You. But I do know she doesn't like 'What Kind of Fool'. I think she said she found it childish and a massive step backwards. She loves Shocked and What Do I Have to Do.

She has only performed Especially for You on 1 tour though (Showgirl) and it was ommited from her Best of album back in 2012 despite being her 2nd biggest hit. Perhaps there is some truth in it.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    No one put guns to their heads when they wrote and/or recorded these songs and they certainly don't refuse the royalty payments, so its a bit rich of acts to complain about them. I could never understand why REM got so sniffy about shiny happy people.
    The story goes that when R.E.M. submitted "Out Of Time" to Warner Bros., the label thought that "Losing My Religion" would be a great lead-off single, but were worried that there wasn't a suitable follow-up on the album, so they told the band to go off and write something more upbeat and happy that would get played on the radio. The band decided to write the most obnoxiously happy sing-along song they could, expecting Warners to reject it, but they loved it, and insisted it went on the album... hence the sniffiness!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrfenty wrote: »
    I think Beyonce hates Crazy In Love now (maybe not hate since she wrote the song but it think she has grown tired of it) as on the most recent leg of her tour she performs one verse and not even a full chorus,which I really don't understand as I play it all the time and still love it, nearly 11 years on and its still by far her best song. It's quite sad if you look at the amazing Crazy in Love performance on the IASF tour and then compare to to the current version. I;d be gutted if I went to a Beyonce gig and only got 60 seconds of Crazy in Love.

Anyway rant over, I think she's also bored of Single Ladies but I can see why as after a while the novelty of that song wore off, and doesn't come close to any of her recent material. Also its reported she hates Deja Vu as she hasn't performed it in years even though it was a no. 1 single even though she still plays minor hits like Naughty Girl and Why Don't You Love Me.

Sounds to me she doesn't actually dislike any of them, you just think she does. :confused:
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa Lopez hated TLC's song Creep. She didn't like the fact they were singing a song about a woman cheating on another man, which is something she was very much against as she herself had been cheated on in the past. She was very much against it being a single but it's decisions like that where the artist don't always get their own way. She described as making the video for it as an awful experience.
  • SnipitSnipit Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Roger Taylor on Queens Hotspace Album, there are many interviews with him, "hate" is word he often uses, though he also mentions the bad influences around Freddie Mercury at the time, who was the driving force of this Album. There are few good songs on it. Brian May will also allude to the bad influences, but is more diplomatic calling it a journey.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    The story goes that when R.E.M. submitted "Out Of Time" to Warner Bros., the label thought that "Losing My Religion" would be a great lead-off single, but were worried that there wasn't a suitable follow-up on the album, so they told the band to go off and write something more upbeat and happy that would get played on the radio. The band decided to write the most obnoxiously happy sing-along song they could, expecting Warners to reject it, but they loved it, and insisted it went on the album... hence the sniffiness!

I think it's Peter Buck that hates it - look at the expression on his face in the video!

I have heard it said that the biggest haters were REM fans who were resentful of 'their band' releasing such a throw-away piece of nonsense instead of another piece of socio-political agitpop. The band have recorded a version for Sesame Street, performed it live, and included it on a 'Greatest Hits' package, so they can't hate it that much.

The Beta Band hate their first album, referring to it as 'f*ck*ng awful'. And David Bowie had a track (Too Dizzy) removed from remasters of his 'Never Let Me Down' album.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed when I heard that Damon Albar dislikes The Universal, as that's the only Blur song I do like. It's almost as if he's insulting my taste! :(

To be honest, I'm not sure that he does dislike it, as he is often quoted as saying it's the only song he still likes from The Great Escape.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Sandi Shaw hated Puppet On A String and blames it for ruining her career.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Gaga really dislikes 'Money Honey' from 'The Fame' and she's not keen on 'Telephone' either (something about around the time of shooting the video it was really hard behind the scenes, this is rumored to be about Britney rejecting the demo then changing her mind but THEN rejecting it again. Apparently it was recorded last for 'The Fame Monster' too).
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't know that thanks. That said "Stand" is arguably even more upbeat and radio friendly and they didn't seem to mind that one.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think James Arthur has said he dislikes Impossible and didn't want it on his album. And that he's not keen on You're Nobody...
    Although I think he hates anything that isn't hip-hop rap now as that's the kind of artist he has pretensions to be. He's doomed, I say.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa Lopez hated TLC's song Creep. She didn't like the fact they were singing a song about a woman cheating on another man, which is something she was very much against as she herself had been cheated on in the past. She was very much against it being a single but it's decisions like that where the artist don't always get their own way. She described as making the video for it as an awful experience.

Well they did shoot three separate versions of the video, so it must have been exhausting!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kryskrys wrote: »
    Nicola from Girls Aloud nominated The Loving Kind for worst single of the year at the Popjustice Twenty Quid awards. And I don't think any of Girls Aloud like Sexy! No No No...

I'm not surprised. An awful song with nasally vocals.

:D:D:D Even Sarah hated her own voice in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_L3ZsR05bk

Watch from 3:35. Still kills me. :D And then Ben Shepherd's comment at the end "And as you can see they were singing absolutely live as well".
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snipit wrote: »
    Roger Taylor on Queens Hotspace Album, there are many interviews with him, "hate" is word he often uses, though he also mentions the bad influences around Freddie Mercury at the time, who was the driving force of this Album. There are few good songs on it. Brian May will also allude to the bad influences, but is more diplomatic calling it a journey.

Brian May also notably dislikes Don't Stop Me Now. In Brian's words, he feels the song is celebrating the new way of life Freddie Mercury was embracing at the time, an unhealthy and potentially dangerous one that would of course lead to his early death. Neither Brian nor Roger Taylor have denied that Freddie was inspired to write the song after a cocaine-fuelled gay orgy.

The more cynical Queen fan may also notice, however, that Brian (well known as the true egomaniac of the band, despite being a very nice man) actually has very little involvement in the song, other than a very short guitar solo. Go figure!