Do you have many DVDs?

Comments

• LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 200 films on DVD and BD, plus a load of TV shows. I'm pretty picky and will never blind-buy anything. So me buying something is reliant on it being something that I've watched once before and can envision watching at least a further 2 or 3 times in the near future. Very few films make that grade.

Dramatically slowed down on buying stuff though and making plans to rip my library to my NAS. This will be a lengthy project and I'll need hard-drive prices to fall a little as will need a fair few TBs.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    It's rare I buy a DVD, normally get a fee for Christmas

Yes, hundreds of them, mostly box sets and TV series' but also a few of my favourite films which I previously owned on VHS.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've only got one.......:cry:

But it's 'Calamity Jane'.....:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago I went through a phase of collecting what I considered classic films and special editions (mostly R1 & R2 with a few R4). So i've got 200+ DVD and BD which I hardly ever watch nowadays.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't buy as many Blu-Rays/DVDs nowadays, but I have a few in my collection.

http://s275.photobucket.com/user/darren73/media/dvds003.jpg.html
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Not anymore, I've got a few box sets of TV comedies but not many other than those.

I have sold a lot though.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    I used to have dvd's but now I've got an xbmc box so I can literally watch any film I want
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have about 100 films/one off tv shows

Then between 50-60 DVD Boxsets.

Not a massive collection but enough to find something to pass time on boring days.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Around 8. I don't watch many films. If I do want to watch something it's usually online.
  • mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    I have 154, that includes five box sets :D
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Twenty DVDs, ten of which are music ones, and two are still unopened Christmas/birthday presents - Godsend from my sister, and a disc containing two episodes of Pamela Anderson in Baywatch from my ex sister-in-law. :confused:
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I don't own a single DVD ;)
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, quite a lot. Mostly WWE DVD's that I have collected over the past 13 years.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got video tapes.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An absolute shitload (Blu-rays too), but then I collect them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I usually get three or four each year for Christmas from family (most often comedy).

Plus I've bought loads from amazon that were dirt cheap, often as little as 1p plus the £1.26 postage, especially where the films were popular, like Matrix ect., and everyone and his wife want to sell it on.

I will pay more for 2nd hand if it's a good comedy series or a sci fi/fantasy film like: Primer, Inception, Donny Darko etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 200 DVDs and blu-rays combined but I prefer streaming via Netflix these days.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have over 1500 films and over 600 tv boxsets
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Trying to slowly convert them all into files to have in one space, I have a big TV series collection, and far more DVds than any Blu-Rays which I have less than 10 of.
  • HappyChappy03HappyChappy03 Posts: 1,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 40ish, including the boxsets.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    about 50 dvds, and a small selection of BluRay's (which are way better!).
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    To those with large DVD collections, how many do you watch on a regular basis?
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since Christmas i have watched at least one film every night (Shallow Grave last night). On Saturday i watched 3 films.
  • Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Surely sticking them in the loft is risky because you may find yourself in the same situation as people who stockpiled videos years ago. Just a pile of worthless junk.

Have to keep them though for two reasons, firstly if I sold them on it would be illegal to keep the copies on the media server, and secondly, it acts as a backup! I can recover from a single drive failure on my server automatically but if multiple drives fail then I'll need to restore from the original DVDs, as backing up the 12TB of data I currently have would be a bit pricey!
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member

I tend to watch a disc a night, although that can vary - there are times when I'll go through an entire TV series in a day, or might not watch anything for a few days.

For me part of the reason for the large collection is because a lot of it isn't available in the UK, or is never shown on the TV.

That and I'd prefer to pay a fiver for a disc than rent it, or pay for streaming :)*
    I'm also generally not able to get to the cinema much, and consider buying the Blu-ray at a tenner much better value than £6-8 for a ticket (plus transport costs, and snacks, to sit in an uncomfortable chair, with what is often a poor sound system).

However the big thing for me, is knowing that if I get the urge to say, rewatch the Alien films, I can do so at any time, in full HD with surround sound, and no delay.
    Likewise I can watch things like Red Dwarf, or Family guy without having to wonder if it's going to be the edited for broadcast at 3pm version ;)

[edit]
    I forgot to mention, for someone who is interested in what goes on behind the scenes, DVD's and Blu-rays can be a great source of fun facts, and information - I'll listen to things like the Aliens commentaries whilst doing stuff around the house, where you can learn about things like why Alien looks different to Aliens in terms of the PQ, and the hazards of the fake smoke. ;)

*I don't drink, or smoke (let alone drugs), so DVD's/Blu-rays are probably my biggest "treat" to myself that I get on a regular basis.