Options

Play for Today, BBC

BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
Doesn't anybody else wish the BBC would repeat these? They could on BBC Four. There are some really great ones, all with a social message.

You can get some of them on YouTube, but as far as I'm aware, they never repeat them and they're not on DVD.

Comments

• Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Play For Today, I strongly recall Keep Smiling, from 1980, about a suburban middle-class family man who starts having paranoid delusions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    This would be an ideal opportunity for paid online downloads. I've read about lots of these plays, with early appearances by well known actors, and I've thought "yeah, I'd love to see that", come up a blank on YouTube and ploughed through the pointless Google results from sites such as 'ovguide', and that was that.

Digitising them and offering them for download or even rental streaming, like ITV has done with stuff like Harry's Game, would be fantastic, and a bit of a money spinner I'd imagine. Why is ITV so far ahead of them on this? :confused:
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it a great idea.
    When you think the BBC sold off series like Bergerac, that has been shown in its entirety on "Yesterday" twice and have since brought it back and are showing it again on BBC2, it really seems like they have lost the plot.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always wanted to see these too, the modern day equivalent being the BBC1 series Moving On I guess?

Agree that an afternoon BBC2 slot would be perfect, given that they're indulging in a retro season at the moment.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cathy Come Home (1966) was actually under the Wednesday Play banner and was repeated on BBC4 in 2006. Wonderful performances from Ray Brooks and Carol White.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Cathy Come Home (1966) was actually under the Wednesday Play banner and was repeated on BBC4 in 2006. Wonderful performances from Ray Brooks and Carol White.

I read about Carol White's life, very sad. She never seemed to recover from being catapulted to fame because of that play. :cry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_White

I'd be interested in seeing that biopic as well, as I hadn't heard of her in 1994.