Laptop screen slightly colour distored

I use an 11in Lenovo Thinkpad running Windoes 7 when I am out and about and have had it for about four years. Twice now (the second time was last night) I switched it on and the pulsating coloured windows logo had a kind of red halo and seemed to be lower resolution. Then when I got to the splash screen the lower third had graduated bands of light red and pink. Once fully booted up, the taskbar had a kind of reddish hue. I rebooted and got the same thing, but when I was fully booted the problem disappeared.

This is the second time this has happened. The first was about nine months ago. Otherwise the laptop has behaved perfectly.

Should I be worried? Is the a software fault or, more likely, the beginnings of a hardware fault?

Comments

• TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that it resolves itself suggests a hardware fault.

If you do a Google search on the exact Lenovo model, such: "lenovo xxxxxx gpu failure"

(Where xxxxxx is the model)

...and see if anything comes up.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Agreed - sounds very, very much like a hardware fault. Maybe the graphics chip, or maybe something to do with the LCD panel.

GPU (graphics chip) problems are very common on laptops as the chips get very hot (the cooling in laptops is crap) - all the heat and thermal cycling starts causing the solder joints to fail.
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we had similar symptoms it was down to a dodgy connection between the panel and the computer, caused/exacerbated by opening and closing the laptop. It took a while but eventually worsened until the laptop was unusable. See if moving the screen around "fixes" the problem.