Options

Title Sequence getting darker each week (video)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    I haven't noticed the titles getting darker, but I have noticed (or at least felt) that Amy & Rory's hair is getting darker.

Probably nothing, just something I noticed.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Those three vids are out of sync and contain lightning flashes so it's hardly surprising that one may look brighter or darker than the one next to it - they are showing different frames and not comparing like with like.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mentioned this last week after reading an "A Town Called Mercy" review which suggested that the titles becoming darker and more red was foreshadowing something. I think it could be hinting at what's to come.
    Equally, it could be nothing at all.
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Those three vids are out of sync and contain lightning flashes so it's hardly surprising that one may look brighter or darker than the one next to it - they are showing different frames and not comparing like with like.

You can still tell that they're getting darker, though, especially during the flamey bit.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definately darker week on week. I thought I'd knocked my TV contrast settings all askew earlier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    You can still tell that they're getting darker, though, especially during the flamey bit.

Definitely

I actually thought the opening was a bit brighter at the start tonight, but viewing this has proven the opposite

The orange stuff is DEF getting darker...

OOOOH
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New York is coming......
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did notice Amy's hair this episode. I though it looked a bit dark, but just put it down to lighting.

Maybe it's the ever increasing darkness of the doctor, leading to the fall of the 11th? Perhaps?

I love foreshadowing, it's great fun when you notice things and they turn out to be something! lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easiest way to tell, if the out-of-sync videos make it hard to follow - look at the title card. Right at the end, where it says "EPISODE TITLE," by Steven Moffat or whoever. It featured black text for Asylum and Dinosaurs, and white text for Mercy. Black text shows up on light backgrounds, white text to show up against the darker background.

Yes, they're getting darker! And that kind of thing's deliberate, they've done that wilfully, so there must be a reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »
    Easiest way to tell, if the out-of-sync videos make it hard to follow - look at the title card. Right at the end, where it says "EPISODE TITLE," by Steven Moffat or whoever. It featured black text for Asylum and Dinosaurs, and white text for Mercy. Black text shows up on light backgrounds, white text to show up against the darker background.

Yes, they're getting darker! And that kind of thing's deliberate, they've done that wilfully, so there must be a reason.

Yes, absolutely, it MUST be deliberate. It can't be some sort of fault as that would be spotted quickly in any edit and sorted out.

Well spotted people!
  • Options
    Forum Member

The title text isn't changing colour - it's filled with a different pattern to match the episode.

The first week was small Dalek bumps, the second was reptile skin and this weeks was planks with bullet holes in them.

If you can't make that out on your TV, check the BBC website - they've changed that textured fill each week there as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The title text isn't changing colour - it's filled with a different pattern to match the episode.

The first week was small Dalek bumps, the second was reptile skin and this weeks was planks with bullet holes in them.

If you can't make that out on your TV, check the BBC website - they've changed that textured fill each week there as well.

Wrong title text! You're talking about the logo - DOCTOR [DW] WHO. Yes, that's a different texture each week.

But I'm talking about the panel after that. The one with the episode title, and the writer's name. So the first episode said...
    ASYLUM OF THE DALEKS
    written by
    STEVEN MOFFAT

...and that was in black text, because it was against a light orange background.

As the weeks have passed, though, the orange has got gradually darker, and this week...
    A TOWN CALLED MERCY
    written by
    TOBY WHITHOUSE

...was in a white font. This is because the vortex behind it is that much darker. Easiest way to measure the change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong title text! You're talking about the logo - DOCTOR [DW] WHO. Yes, that's a different texture each week.

But I'm talking about the panel after that. The one with the episode title, and the writer's name. So the first episode said...
    ASYLUM OF THE DALEKS
    written by
    STEVEN MOFFAT

...and that was in black text, because it was against a light orange background.

As the weeks have passed, though, the orange has got gradually darker, and this week...
    A TOWN CALLED MERCY
    written by
    TOBY WHITHOUSE

...was in a white font. This is because the vortex behind it is that much darker. Easiest way to measure the change.

Which points to exactly why this is deliberate and means something...

Good shout
  • Options
    Forum Member

ASYLUM OF THE DALEKS
    written by
    STEVEN MOFFAT

A TOWN CALLED MERCY
    written by
    TOBY WHITHOUSE

I'm with you now.

The title (and cast name) fonts also have texture fills. I can't make out what the textures are on my SD recordings but it could be stone.

I agree that the vortex is darker each time. If anything, it's so dark now that it will be black within a couple of weeks at best.
  • Options
    GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 365
    Forum Member

ASYLUM OF THE DALEKS
    written by
    STEVEN MOFFAT

A TOWN CALLED MERCY
    written by
    TOBY WHITHOUSE

Yes. Clear as day, 30 seconds into the video clip.
  • Options
    alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    sohoguy wrote: »
    Definitely

I actually thought the opening was a bit brighter at the start tonight, but viewing this has proven the opposite

OOOOH

^ This
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    The title sequence is definitely getting darker, at least towards the end. I think next week's will be darker still and for episode 5, the end of the sequence will be plain white text on a totally black background.

Get your kleenex pre-ordered now...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Get your kleenex pre-ordered now...

I love the show but it's pre-watershed and there's never really any...

Ooops - I think you were talking about using the tissue to dry my eyes. My bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :
    I love the show but it's pre-watershed and there's never really any...

Ooops - I think you were talking about using the tissue to dry my eyes. My bad.

:D I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that! :)
  • Options
    zort70zort70 Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Someone posted this comparison of the first three episodes that does appear to show the darkening title sequence.

At that rate it'll definitely be black for the final episode.

Imgur photo album
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    zort70 wrote: »
    Someone posted this comparison of the first three episodes that does appear to show the darkening title sequence.

At that rate it'll definitely be black for the final episode.

Imgur photo album

Well, mine is not entirely the same as that. The first is quite dark, the second much brighter, then the third darker still. So, ultimately still getting darker, but those seem to have been tampered with (check the BBC logo top left).

Having said that, the episode title screens are definitely losing the yellow - thereby getting darker.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's also this for the credits.
  • Options
    georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's all very weird! Well spotted!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Well, mine is not entirely the same as that. The first is quite dark, the second much brighter, then the third darker still. So, ultimately still getting darker, but those seem to have been tampered with (check the BBC logo top left).

Having said that, the episode title screens are definitely losing the yellow - thereby getting darker.

Yellow->Red->Black = darker overall. Just for the final few seconds of the titles. Can't say I notice anything before that about the background - the vortex.

Black should fit the mood for Amy and Rory's departure...
  • Options
    BadWolfOneBadWolfOne Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Theres malfunctioning lights in each episode too.
    The lightbulb flickering in Amy's dressing room, the faulty light fixture in Amy and Rorys and the lamppost in Mercy. Or am I just over thinking it?

The lights are going out...