Options

Jon Champion hauled over the coals for calling Saurez a "cheat"

big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
ESPN commentator Jon Champion has been in the eye of a storm over a piece of commentary yesterday during the Mansfield v Liverpool match where he said the handball goal by Luis Saurez was "the work of a cheat".

Full newspaper article here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2258474/Jon-Champion-reprimanded-Luis-Suarez-cheat-comment.html

So, is he right to receive a stern talking to from his bosses for this?

I've heard arguments both criticising and defending Champion for his comment. My own personal opinion is that I doubt whether Jon Champion would have made the comment if, say, Jonjo Shelvey did excactly the same thing, and made the comment, possibly a bit subsconsciously, because it was Saurez and he "has previous", as they say. I also think if the wording of his commentary was different and he said that it was "cheating" rather than labelling the individual a "cheat", nobody would have said anything about this at all. While it was a bit unprofessional, I hope it doesn't have an adverse effect on Champion's career, because he is an excellent commentator most of the time.

What is other DS memebers take on this story? Let's try and keep this thread about the actual bit of commentary and the subsequent reaction to it, rather than it descending into discussions as to what people think of Luis Saurez as a bloke, because that'll just end up turning silly.

Comments

• Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to remember a certain french player getting absolutely hammered for putting a ball in the net with his hand against Ireland.

Is there any difference?
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    I thought at the time that he had gone pretty overboard and that his comments were at the very least unprofessional. I don't think he needs sacking or anything daft like that, but someone should make sure he's more professional in the future.
  • Options
    fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a dreadful piece of commentary, totally out of order.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember a certain french player getting absolutely hammered for putting a ball in the net with his hand against Ireland.

Is there any difference?

Did he call him a cheat during the commentary?
  • Options
    Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd give Suarez the benefit of the doubt if he hadnt done what he did aginst Ghana.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I thought it was very unprofessional from Champion. The reason a commentator is a commentator is because in theory they are supposed to rise above these things and call the facts of what happened.

Its one thing if the likes of Thompson and Merson are biased on Soccer Saturday - you tune in expecting that and its part of the reason you watch but the actual commentator on a live game needs to aim higher than Champion did yesterday.

That aside, ESPNs football coverage has the worst group of pundits and analysts so im not exactly shocked by this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    Did he call him a cheat during the commentary?

No,the press absolutely slaughtered him for it, not just one commentator.

Suarez does have form for handball,let's not forget.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is there any difference?

Yes. You may, if generous, consider the first handball an instinctive reaction (although I think he had enough time to avoid it) but when he handled it a second time, his intentions became a little more premeditated in everyone's eyes.
  • Options
    Forum Member

But that's not the point - the press may have slaughtered Suarez for it (I've not actually checked today!) but the point is should a commentator be ok to call a player a cheat, especially over something like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    ...tbh..champion was only saying what everybody else was thinking..seems a tad harsh,even if you're supposed to be impartial,not to be permitted to comment on something so blatant..sort of like,sticking your fingers in your ears and humming..and who the fook was supposed to be upset by a cheat being called a cheat,is anybody's guess :/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    But that's not the point - the press may have slaughtered Suarez for it (I've not actually checked today!) but the point is should a commentator be ok to call a player a cheat, especially over something like this.

It's possibly not a good idea as a professional commentator to call a player a cheat but then it's not a good idea as a professional footballer to put the ball in the net with your hand either.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's possibly not a good idea as a professional commentator to call a player a cheat but then it's not a good idea as a professional footballer to put the ball in the net with your hand either.;)

lol :D Details details! :D
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Err yes he did call him a cheat during commentary, unless my ears deceived me last night.

Bloody hell can't believe people's take on the Ghana handball. Pretty much most footballers would have handled in that situation. He got punished for it. I can see why people would have a problem with him being lifted on people's shoulders as a celebration but not the actual act itself. It was instinctive and many many footballers have done it in the past.

Jon champion shouldn't be sacked but his commentary was totally uncalled for. As Cantona said he's there to call the game not call people cheats etc. I also agree with Cantona that ESPN has the worst group I've seen. Craig burley and chris waddle are useless. I love John Barnes but he's not the greatest. Don't mind Kevin Keegan he's the best of a bad bunch.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Many a player would sacrifice himself in that circumstance if it meant avoiding defeat in a World Cup quarter final. There was seconds left before penalties and the score was 1-1. Letting the ball go in meant almost certain elimination. His sin was celebrating the eventual win ferociously which although understandable given his country had just qualified for a World Cup semi final, was tactless to a neutral eye.

What about when Owen blatantly dived to win us a penalty against Argentina? I didn't see any gallows being hastily constructed for that.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...tbh..champion was only saying what everybody else was thinking:/

There does seem an aspect of him thinking out loud when he said it. I was watching the highlights last night on ITV with my Dad, who were also using Jon Champion's commentary, and when Champion said the line my Dad instantly went "You can bloody say that again, mate!", I bet my Dad wasn't the only person watching it who reacted similarly, so you could argue that Jon Champion was summing up the mood of the nation! :D:D However, it shouldn't really be a commentator's role to do that, they are there to offer a description rather than impose their own personal opinion on things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Many a player would sacrifice himself in that circumstance if it meant avoiding defeat in a World Cup quarter final. There was seconds left before penalties and the score was 1-1. Letting the ball go in meant almost certain elimination. His sin was celebrating the eventual win ferociously which although understandable given his country had just qualified for a World Cup semi final, was tactless to a neutral eye.

What about when Owen blatantly dived to win us a penalty against Argentina? I didn't see any gallows being hastily constructed for that.

That's the press for you (for the same reason Joe Hart gets an easy ride if he has a poor game)but like i've said earlier Henry got pelters for it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    There does seem an aspect of him thinking out loud when he said it. I was watching the highlights last night on ITV with my Dad, who were also using Jon Champion's commentary, and when Champion said the line my Dad instantly went "You can bloody say that again, mate!", I bet my Dad wasn't the only person watching it who reacted similarly, so you could argue that Jon Champion was summing up the mood of the nation! :D:D However, it shouldn't really be a commentator's role to do that, they are there to offer a description rather than impose their own personal opinion on things.

People assumed he cheated. They can't guarantee he did. That's like saying murderer before hearing the evidence. Only Suarez knows whether he handled on purpose or not. If it was most other players I doubt your dad or champion would have been so forceful in their conviction!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

That's the press for you (for the same reason Joe Hart gets an easy ride if he has a poor game)but like i've said earlier Henry got pelters for it

Was he called a cheat by the commentators? I can't remember. The difference with Henry is that he absolutely handled the ball to keep it in play purposefully. The ball ricocheted onto Suarez from close range. I'm not saying he didn't do it on purpose but neither can anybody be sure he did. Only him. The footage of Henry is far more damning.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He just seemed annoyed that a goal which was blatant cheating basically ended any chance Mansfield had and let's be fair they were by far better than Liverpool in the 2nd half and may have went on to win if what happened didnt. Fair play to the guy for saying what most were thinking. ( Liverpool fans aside )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »

..aye..it's a strange one..does champion reference the hand ball,or is his espn remit to ignore,and not pass comment on anything that may be deemed a smidgen controversial ?...then,if he ignores the " cheating " does he then get it in the ear,for showing bias toward mansfield by pretending the hand ball never happened ? :confused:
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Who did the commentarty on the ITV highlights show?
    He definately used the term cheat, but I can't remember if it was "he's cheated" or "he's a cheat".
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Epsn and itv used the same commentary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seellee wrote: »
    People assumed he cheated. They can't guarantee he did. That's like saying murderer before hearing the evidence. Only Suarez knows whether he handled on purpose or not. If it was most other players I doubt your dad or champion would have been so forceful in their conviction!

...if suarez didn't have a history of " cheating " your point may have some merit..it's what they call..being hosted by your own petard :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commentators are far too gabby anyway these days, we can all see what's happening, it's on TV not flipping radio. They should just stop stating the bleeding obvious and stop prattling on and on, they need to be 100% neutral and show it. In fact, just get rid of them all anyway, overpaid and overstated. As for Champion, he should be made to appologise to Suarez, cheat was bad, but to then shout about him kissing his hand as the ultimate insult? Come on, he did no homework on the players at all if he didn't know what that was, poor!
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    seellee wrote: »

Or so stout in their defence of the most obvious.