Options

When will the government start taxing and testing caravans

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
Forum Member
✭✭
Road fund licence, vehicle tax, whatever you like to call it.

Caravans need to be taxed and tested annually. >:(

I would suggest taxed at the same rate as the towing vehicle and an all points annual MOT test.

They are a menace on the roads and not just in summer either.

They take up space, slow moving, travel in convoy and are driven by old people who should know better.

When a wheel comes off they just shatter into a million pieces of cardboard and plastic littering the motorway.

Time to end this tradition in Britain.

Move on to Motorhomes or Campervans as the way forward.

Death to the caravan R.I.P Good Riddance.

Comments

• Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they have finished with the smokers they will start with caravans.

Then it will be dogs. Dogs will need to wear a seatbelt or the owner will be fined £5,000 and have their car crushed.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree that Caravans should be checked, even if it is every two years. i went with a friend a couple of years back to look at some caravans as she was thinking of getting one, we also took someone who knew the good and the bad about them and believe me, some of them was awful, mainly the brakes system.

She decided not to bother in the end, decided to hire a motorhome if need be.

My brother got a caravan, it is parked on my driveway as he have no where to park it, only use it for country and Weston festivals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I do agree that Caravans should be checked, even if it is every two years. i went with a friend a couple of years back to look at some caravans as she was thinking of getting one, we also took someone who knew the good and the bad about them and believe me, some of them was awful, mainly the brakes system.

My brother got a caravan, it is parked on my driveway as he have no where to park it, only use it for country and Western festivals.

The Indians used to shoot blazing arrows into them in western movies. :D
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    UKNikey wrote: »
    Road fund licence, vehicle tax, whatever you like to call it.

Caravans need to be taxed and tested annually. >:(

I would suggest taxed at the same rate as the towing vehicle and an all points annual MOT test.

They are a menace on the roads and not just in summer either.

They take up space, slow moving, travel in convoy and are driven by old people who should know better.

When a wheel comes off they just shatter into a million pieces of cardboard and plastic littering the motorway.

Time to end this tradition in Britain.

Move on to Motorhomes or Campervans as the way forward.

Death to the caravan R.I.P Good Riddance.

no way we pay way too much in taxes in uk as it is.
  • Options
    HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't councils tax caravans that park outside their house and block their neighbours light they need to get planning permission for an extention but not for a huge ugly caravan
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

My brother got a caravan, it is parked on my driveway as he have no where to park it, only use it for country and Weston festivals.

Is that festivals in Weston super Mare?
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think an annual MOT is not a bad idea for any trailer as there are a lot of dangerous ones around, the RFL would be zero-rated if applied since they produce no emissions of their own.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I was wondering about this the other day...

Around here a lot of the houses are fairly small cottages and bungalows and, over the last few years, I've noticed that more and more off-street parking is getting filled up with caravans and box-trailers that never seem to move.
    I'm assuming that people are buying these things, parking them up and using them as storage units.

That doesn't seem entirely appropriate.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Why isn't there just a sticky thread entitled "I don't like this therefore it should be banned" with all these gripes listed in one place?
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some sort of road tax should be paid on caravans and bicycles.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    :) Another "make some road users pay more tax for annoying me" thread.

How do you tax them then? You have to register them, so there's a new level of bureaucracy. Which caravans? All of them, or do we do it like cars and exempt anything older than <pick a year, it's 1974 for cars>? How much do you think it's worth taxing something that realistically does a few hundred miles per year if the owner is quite enthusiastic, a handful or none if not? Where do you draw the line - any trailer, trailer tents, folding vans or just full-sized vans? And do you take into account the additional fuel duty that towing a van any distance generates, and the VAT generated by caravanners buying stuff that they wouldn't otherwise buy and the jobs etc created in the leisure and farming industry where land has been set aside for caravanning? And what happens when a large majority of these hobby vans (that's what a lot are) are dumped or scrapped if it's going to cost even more to use them? Do we just accept that the small sites, the bigger sites, the CL sites on farms that farmers were encouraged to diversify into when the last govt decided that we don't need a farming industry, we just say "oh yeah - you can close down. Thanks anyway"?

Shouting "pay some road tax" is usually a sign that whoever is shouting it hasn't thought it through fully. And it's worth stating the bl----ing obvious that it is an offence to use a caravan on the road that doesn't conform to current safety requirements re brakes, tyres etc.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Don't disagree but there's sure as hell one section of society that won't conform and thats "Travelers" Police have a hard enough time keeping track of them for existing motoring offences etc.
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have had caravans for many years and would have no problem with this. We have our van serviced every year so the idea of an MOT would not be an issue for us, I strongly believe that caravan drivers should have to attend a course on how to tow. Many vans are now supplied with remote control movers which are used on sites and consequently their owners have never learnt how to reverse and manoveur a caravan the proper way which creates problems out on the open road. They should also have to learn how to load the van safely and understand about nose and towing weight. In my experience the demographic for caravan owners is changing and there are a lot of people taking it up who have never caravanned before as it is seen as a cheap holiday.
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as road tax. VED is an emissions tax and goes into the general spending fund.

All taxpayers pay for the roads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    I strongly believe that caravan drivers should have to attend a course on how to tow. Many vans are now supplied with remote control movers which are used on sites and consequently their owners have never learnt how to reverse and manoveur a caravan the proper way which creates problems out on the open road.

Reminds me...

I was watching a guy try to reverse his 'van on a local camp-site last year.
    He had about three stabs at it and then gave up, unhitched his 'van and attempted to man-handle it into position.
    Alas, the ground wasn't flat and as soon as he unhitched it the van rolled backwards and demolished the dry-stone wall behind it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Some sort of road tax should be paid on caravans and bicycles.
    Quite. As long as it's at a fair rate, the rate that other low or non-polluting vehicles are rated at. Lord knows how you'd go about registering them all though, and working out who pays what. What do you base it on, bearing in mind that an i10, some Fiestas, the Prius etc and anything, even the smelliest Land Rover, built before 1974 is rated at £0?

Some ideas aren't worth following through...
    wantoosoon wrote: »
    There is no such thing as road tax. VED is an emissions tax and goes into the general spending fund.

All taxpayers pay for the roads.
    Well said sir.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Some ideas aren't worth following through....

Ah, that's what I was going to respond with.

I suppose it's arguable that, as local authorities spend more and more on accommodating bicyclists, they should become liable for some of that cost but, then again, if you generate, say, £1 million in revenue from a scheme that's cost £20 million to implement, what's the point?

A lot of the time I'm sure the real motive for these schemes is simply spite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    Why isn't there just a sticky thread entitled "I don't like this therefore it should be banned" with all these gripes listed in one place?
    Post of the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Ah, that's what I was going to respond with.

I suppose it's arguable that, as local authorities spend more and more on accommodating bicyclists, they should become liable for some of that cost but, then again, if you generate, say, £1 million in revenue from a scheme that's cost £20 million to implement, what's the point?

A lot of the time I'm sure the real motive for these schemes is simply spite.
    We have this thing called income tax - lots of people pay it, some more than others, some a lot more. There's also a load of other taxes that we pay all of which go into Mr Osborne's huge vat of money and he spends it as he sees fit. Once you go down the path of charging a particular sub-set of people for use of a particular public service, you're opening up a can of worms. Look what happens when the govt tries obvious things like having rail passengers pay much more towards the national resource called railways, or when they're perceived to be moving the NHS towards end-user funding.

Up to you if you want to go down that path, but then you're on the slippery slope to people demanding better access to services based on what taxes they've paid. IMHO we as a country are better than that - we use taxes to pay for national resources and accept that some people who pay less may get more out those resources than others. It happens across the board; uniquely roads are seen as funded from VED. Bonkers or what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    We have this thing called income tax - lots of people pay it, some more than others, some a lot more. There's also a load of other taxes that we pay all of which go into Mr Osborne's huge vat of money and he spends it as he sees fit. Once you go down the path of charging a particular sub-set of people for use of a particular public service, you're opening up a can of worms. Look what happens when the govt tries obvious things like having rail passengers pay much more towards the national resource called railways, or when they're perceived to be moving the NHS towards end-user funding.

Up to you if you want to go down that path, but then you're on the slippery slope to people demanding better access to services based on what taxes they've paid. IMHO we as a country are better than that - we use taxes to pay for national resources and accept that some people who pay less may get more out those resources than others. It happens across the board; uniquely roads are seen as funded from VED. Bonkers or what?

True enough although I really do think that, as society changes, we need to accept that taxation sometimes needs to be changed too.

I mean, if you look at the situation with LPG (or even diesel) powered vehicles, back when they only accounted for a miniscule proportion of road users the tax was lower but then, as more people begin to use them, taxes are raised.
    This happens because if you don't alter taxes to suit changing habits you end up with a nett deficit in income.

Let's face it, if 40 million people decided to use bicycles to get around and there ended-up only being a few thousand cars on the road, the government of the day would quickly find a way to tax bicycle users in order to recoup the lost revenue.

Anyway, as I said, I'm sure that when these topics come up the majority of "suggestions" tend to have a basis in spite rather than anything else and suggestions of taxing bicyclists, with society as it currently is at least, strike me as rooted in spite rather than any real desire to prevent a deficit in revenue.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Testing, yes; but caravans are not stand alone vehicles. They need another vehicle to tow them so why should they be subject to VED? The towing vehicle will already be subject to VED.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    Testing, yes; but caravans are not stand alone vehicles. They need another vehicle to tow them so why should they be subject to VED? The towing vehicle will already be subject to VED.

I agree they shouldn't be subject to VED, but you could argue that towing a caravan increases the towing cars' emissions, and therefore the VED band could change...

I would support some kind of MOT - anything capable of being pulled at 50-60mph should be roadworthy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    I agree they shouldn't be subject to VED, but you could argue that towing a caravan increases the towing cars' emissions, and therefore the VED band could change...

I would support some kind of MOT - anything capable of being pulled at 50-60mph should be roadworthy

Personally, I just wish there was something required to enable them to be legal for road use, in order to prevent people from just buying them and leaving them parked on the street as wheeled storage units for years on end.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    An MOT type test I agree with but not tax because the towing car would be using more fuel and so extra tax is going into the economy.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good point and furthermore will it apply to all types of trailers both articulated, friges, boats, and ordinary trailers used to move stuff (dog box trailers etc etc .

Also impossible to enforce as most caravans are on private sites in summer and stored in wintertime.