Soap actors who've left and refused to return?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemma Atkinson refused to return as Lisa Hunter in Hollyoaks. Thank God.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scooter from Corrie must have refused a return dozens of time as he was one of Coronation Street's biggest character and must be asked back all the time. Maybe he just can't handle the fame anymore as I heard he was always hounded by fans during his stint.
  • secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross Kemp (though that could change).
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish Natalie Cassidy refused to return.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ross Kemp (though that could change).

Ross Kemp has returned a few times (although briefly) and may well do again.

Think this is for those who have NEVER returned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Scooter from Corrie must have refused a return dozens of time as he was one of Coronation Street's biggest character and must be asked back all the time. Maybe he just can't handle the fame anymore as I heard he was always hounded by fans during his stint.

OMG...look what you started...by this time next week the Scooter threads will take over DS.:):) Not that they weren't hilarious.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Harvey who played the legendary Shenice is another person who has refused a return. She decided after being the biggest soap star since Scooter that she would rather live in the shadows and try for a normal life , sadly being the household name that she is I doubt that will happen. Sadly her less talented sister who sponges off Lily's success is another case.
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alice Branning was played by Jasmyn Banks, Jazmin Franks plays Esther Bloom in Hollyoaks.

Ah yes! When I wrote it I thought it looked close but not quite right! :p
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't quite the same thing but didn't Nigel Harman insist that Dennis should be killed off so he couldn't make a return?
  • dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know she returned last year but did Sam Womack refuse to return in 2012? Or were these just rumours that she was supposed to return in 2012?

http://tellymix.co.uk/soaps/25971-sam-womack-confirmed-as-returning-to-eastenders-after-a-year.html
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a302291/samantha-womack-returning-to-eastenders.html
  • Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Essex as Eddie Moon in EE

Did Gillian Taylforth (Kathy) also refuse? I thought she did in 2006 but would have considered it later, however they decided to kill her off off screen instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    She didn't totally refuse to return as years after she left the series she appeared in a special episode of Corrie as Hilda for 'The Women of Coronation Street' a direct to video release showing Hilda in her life after she left the street.
  • PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    dese_5757 wrote: »
    OMG...look what you started...by this time next week the Scooter threads will take over DS.:):) Not that they weren't hilarious.
    Was Scooter Geoffrey, Emily Bishop's nephew?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Lily Harvey who played the legendary Shenice is another person who has refused a return. She decided after being the biggest soap star since Scooter that she would rather live in the shadows and try for a normal life , sadly being the household name that she is I doubt that will happen. Sadly her less talented sister who sponges off Lily's success is another case.

I think Lily has only refused returns because the storylines offered didn't do justice to the status of her character.

I'm sure she will be lured back for the 30th though, she was unstoppable in her previous stint, so DTC would be mad to pass up the chance to include her in the 30th.
  • dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anita Dobson who plays Angie was asked many times to return in the 90's but refused last time she was asked was in 2002 when the decided to kill her off
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Popsiemia wrote: »
    Was Scooter Geoffrey, Emily Bishop's nephew?

No - Scooter was a friend of Sarah Louise and David Platt (think if I remember rightly).

Geoffrey is otherwise and affectionately known as Spider Nugent (was played by Martin Hancock) - he is Emily's much-mentioned and much-missed nephew.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an interesting thread. I don't know anyone who has outright refused to return other than James Cordon with Hollyoaks, I think he said he'd rather die than work there again :/

Most former soap actors don't leave with the intention of returning but not many if them manage to secure enough work and end up coming back stating "it's like a second home to me" "I grew up on the show" when most of the time they wouldn't have returned at all had they managed to bag better roles elsewhere.

I doubt that many are even asked to return, most of the time soaps like to keep moving forward, not backwards.
  • Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean Wilson (Martin Platt in Corrie) I think he has been asked to return before but has retired from acting
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »
    David Essex as Eddie Moon in EE

Did Gillian Taylforth (Kathy) also refuse? I thought she did in 2006 but would have considered it later, however they decided to kill her off off screen instead.

She didn't refuse, she was busy filming Footballer's Wives so couldn't return but was willing to do it after. But they went ahead and killed her off because they were so desperate to introduce Ben for whatever reason. FW was axed not long after too.
  • matty200matty200 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Benllech wrote: »
    That Australian stripper SJ who went out with Minty.

LMAO do u think she was asked
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty certain Kylie and Jason have been asked back to Neighbours many times. Slim chance of either of them ever agreeing though. There's little press items on the topic from time to time though... http://www.watoday.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/minogue-joking-about-neighbours-return-20100622-yt0l.html; http://www.digitalspy.com.au/soaps/s14/neighbours/news/a186246/neighbours-asked-jason-donovan-to-return.html

After she quit the role of Bea Smith in Prisoner, Val Lehman was asked back by the producers three times. Hoping to shake off that role she always declined, so Bea was killed, off screen, about 20 months after her on screen exit.

Do Neighbours fans keep being odd and/or nasty about them not returning for the anniversary like some Doctor Who fans were rude towards Christopher Eccleston because he wasn't in the DW 50th?
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Melissa George