Puppy Love BBC Four Thursdays

mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
Forum Member
✭✭
No thread for this?

Just caught up with episode one - great fun. A nice mix of "neo-realist" documentary styling and jokes. I've long thought the Wirral is probably a strange place - neither here nor there.

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imo it was crap
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Getting On (Joanna Scanlan, Vicki Pepperdine, Jo Brand) and had high hopes for this. I don't think I'll bother with episode two. VP was playing exactly the same character as in Getting On, even down to a couple of gynaecological references. There weren't many actual funny bits. Shame, as I was looing forward to it.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Just watched this and it is dire.

Tbh the trailer didn't draw me into watch either and only just remembered by seeing this thread.

Shame as there are some great actors in it.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only one episode in and condemned? I'll give it a chance. I too liked them in Getting On and think the characters could work out.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I turned it off after we were introduced to the BBC/Guardian default setting mixed race couple.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I watched it and enjoyed it. I thought it was a pleasant half hour - not earth-shattering or cutting edge, but a decent show to watch and switch your brain off after a day at the office.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Only one episode in and condemned? I'll give it a chance. I too liked them in Getting On and think the characters could work out.

Getting On had a delicious dark edge to it though, which i was hoping for in this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so odd that Getting On was so special, while Puppy Love is so ordinary. I'll not be proceeding past the first episode. A shame, but the writing was really quite unoriginal. It's hard to believe that these two series have the same writers.

Surely all that Scouse Scally stuff went out with Jean Boht?
  • WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    I turned it off after we were introduced to the BBC/Guardian default setting mixed race couple.

What a charming person you must be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willpurry wrote: »
    What a charming person you must be.

(like)
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    So I suffered the 2nd episode and it is just a great big pile of poo. There is nothing remotely funny with it.
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    I really liked it. :D
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too! They've got a good cast, lots of faces turning up. Liked the "ooh you 2 are like Ally McBeal and Ryan O'Neill" line from Nana Vee
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just caught it tonight... thought it was quite good

that chubby one is hilarious
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed last week but thought this week was dire. The characters are not developing and we get random additions to the cast each week who then disappear. What's with all the yacht club people., friends as cheap extras.
    As for the dog rescue..oh dear..I thought it might swim off to Formby point in preference to being saved.
    Best thing the setting, nice photography and of course the dogs.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, what is it actually about?
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well from what i can gather its based around a kennel club and the daily lives of its owners

the owner of the club is an obese woman (who's constantly hungry) and she lives in a mobile home with her obese husband and both are struggling to make ends meet.....there's also this eccentric middle class upperwardly mobile lady who's a bit scatty brained (like Hyancinth Bucket)

its mild inoffensive humour similar in style to the Detectorists