Options

Who really is the 'passive-aggressive' camp-mate ?

hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mel says she can't stand Edwina's passive aggressiveness

Is she right ?

Is Edwina passive-aggressive ?

I'm not really sure what the term actually means but it appears to me that Mel, herself, is pretty aggressive ( in a passive sort of way )

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they have a brilliant dynamic. Edwina is inclined to make suggestions in a tiny, timid voice very unlike her own. Either Mel has previously really bitten her head off or she IS being a wee bit passive aggressive. But Mel should cut it out. Every year there is someone who likes to control the cooking, because controlling the cooking is a powerful position in camp, and it takes a bit more grace and modesty to do it without empire-building as Mel is obviously doing.
  • Options
    locoherolocohero Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Mel has a string of failed relationships. Go figure.
  • Options
    erin_perin_p Posts: 25,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel is
    .Why does she get so angry when someone suggests a cooking method ,why does she have to take herself away to calm down?
    When Kendra got upset over not winning or getting her letter Mel said to others "no one has died " like it's no big deal , yet she got so pissed off at Edwina/ Vicki for suggesting they cook octopus in smaller pieces that she had to remove herself from the camp to calm down ...bizarre.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is Mel a professional chef? I know she does a TV show with a professional chef, so maybe she considers herself one as well. She is certainly very temperamental (like most chefs are)

I only ask as she seems to dominate the cooking every single night.
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    erin_p wrote: »
    Mel is
    .Why does she get so angry when someone suggests a cooking method ,why does she have to take herself away to calm down?
    When Kendra got upset over not winning or getting her letter Mel said to others "no one has died " like it's no big deal , yet she got so pissed off at Edwina/ Vicki for suggesting they cook octopus in smaller pieces that she had to remove herself from the camp to calm down ...bizarre.

Agreed. In that environment, cooking is a communal experience. If Mel prefers to do her own thing, then perhaps she should leave the cooking up to someone else.
  • Options
    hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel is

Yes, I noticed that too

She says something like "I don't know what to do with this" and when someone makes a suggestion she snaps back "Do you want to do it ?"
  • Options
    GlimirilGlimiril Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Passive-aggressive behavior is the indirect expression of hostility.

This depends greatly on perspective or situation.

Without knowing the experiences of each individual (or even edited 40 min show) all anyone does is project their own perception.

And to ask the question could be passive aggressive also, as we are all anonymous to varying degrees.

So I would say we who comment and judge are passive aggressive.
  • Options
    bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hisdogspot wrote: »
    Yes, I noticed that too

She says something like "I don't know what to do with this" and when someone makes a suggestion she snaps back "Do you want to do it ?"

Exactly. She did it with the hare when she was looking at it and said she didn't know how to cut it up. Edwina or Vikki said to start by separating the legs and Mel went 'Do you want to do it then?'. Also with the octopus, Edwina said it's best to cook it for a short time as it gets rubbery very quickly and Mel said 'I know, I know' in a dismissive, aggressive way. Edwina has said she doesn't like cooking but surely that doesn't mean she can't offer advice when someone asks for it? I think Mel was annoyed that she had overcooked it and tried to turn it into Edwina and Vikki being ungrateful and snide.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mel is

Unbelievable the way she carries on over the cooking, as if her way is the only way . Total control freak .
  • Options
    EnricoIVEnricoIV Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edwina is passive-aggressive. Mel is a control-freak. And they both have superiority complexes.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel by a country mile.

What a dissappointment she has been (to me) She has done herself no favours on this show. She is relentlessly negative and narky. Gone right off her.:(
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think part of Mel's problem is that she starved herself half-emaciated before she ever came into the show so that she could - at 43 - still be the 'bikini babe'. She has then had very little to eat since then and she looks, frankly, ill. Her teeth are protruding, her cheeks have collapsed completely and she looks ill. She's irritable and quite a domineering personality.

I just knew the minute Edwina tentatively pointed out that octopus should only be cooked for a very short period of time that A) Mel wouldn't take the advice in the manner it was offered and B) when it ended up being tough, she'd throw a strop in Edwina's direction.

I'm not sure Mel is passive aggressive but what most irritates me about her is that she turns herself into the victim at every given opportunity; see "did you see the way Vicky snapped at me?" and all this wandering off to take ten deep breaths.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I think part of Mel's problem is that she starved herself half-emaciated before she ever came into the show so that she could - at 43 - still be the 'bikini babe'. She has then had very little to eat since then and she looks, frankly, ill. Her teeth are protruding, her cheeks have collapsed completely and she looks ill. She's irritable and quite a domineering personality.

I just knew the minute Edwina tentatively pointed out that octopus should only be cooked for a very short period of time that A) Mel wouldn't take the advice in the manner it was offered and B) when it ended up being tough, she'd throw a strop in Edwina's direction.

I'm not sure Mel is passive aggressive but what most irritates me about her is that she turns herself into the victim at every given opportunity; see "did you see the way Vicky snapped at me?" and all this wandering off to take ten deep breaths.

I totally agree. It's a shame she'll only know how badly (IMO) she's come across when she leaves. All the pretence of "I'm ok hun" when clearly she isn't, is princess attention seeking drama in itself. I wish she'd stop cooking but she won't as she is desparate to stay relevant in the jungle!
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rioxxx wrote: »
    I totally agree. It's a shame she'll only know how badly (IMO) she's come across when she leaves. All the pretence of "I'm ok hun" when clearly she isn't, is princess attention seeking drama in itself. I wish she'd stop cooking but she won't as she is desparate to stay relevant in the jungle!

Well said. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I would say Mel
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unfortunately, I think a lot this is quite accurate. There is a lot about Mel that could make her a great camper, hence the initial positive response to her. Unfortunately the experience is getting to her, and I think your 'bikini-babe' comment might just be the reason why. Quite sad when people can't move on to the next stage of their life. She'd still be rather an attractive woman if she let go of what used to be, the skeletal look really isn't a good one, regardless of what the modelling world try to tell us.
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hisdogspot wrote: »
    Mel says she can't stand Edwina's passive aggressiveness

Is she right ?

Is Edwina passive-aggressive ?

I'm not really sure what the term actually means but it appears to me that Mel, herself, is pretty aggressive ( in a passive sort of way )

They both are
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Is Mel a professional chef? I know she does a TV show with a professional chef, so maybe she considers herself one as well. She is certainly very temperamental (like most chefs are)

I only ask as she seems to dominate the cooking every single night.

I do remember some of the others doing the cooking when Mel was in another camp and they complained how chewy everything was.
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How was Mel supposed to change the texture of octopus? Right there was a attack..should Mel of cooked it longer..wait Wenna told her not to cook it for long.

I suspect Mel digs gets the wood empty s the craper while Weena sits on her arse moaning all day.

Alas we can only guess what REALLY is happeng
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoffmister wrote: »
    How was Mel supposed to change the texture of octopus? Right there was a attack..should Mel of cooked it longer..wait Wenna told her not to cook it for long.

I suspect Mel digs gets the wood empty s the craper while Weena sits on her arse moaning all day.

Alas we can only guess what REALLY is happeng

Cooking it for too long is what makes it tough, unless I'm mistaken.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »

Hayley on Get Me Out of Here Now did say that it should have been cut in strips and cooked. Im not sure if she is right be that would avoid it be tough and chewy.
  • Options
    Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »

No you're not mistaken. I recall an episode of Masterchef and this was one of the technical tests in cooking it for a very short time or it will be rubbery and tough. Mel clearly thinks she knows it all and doesn't appreciate anyone's advice. I just wish someone would call her at her own game when she says "well do you want to do it" and says "yes, well give me the damned spoon and go and whinge somewhere else"
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do remember some of the others doing the cooking when Mel was in another camp and they complained how chewy everything was.

Yes I remember that too. They didn't cook it (whatever it was) long enough or something.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greenyone wrote: »
    They both are

Edwina isn't passive-aggressive at all, it's because she's generally up-front about what she says that people get annoyed! Passive-aggressive people are irritating because you don't see the aggro coming - they start off nice, as if they're going to help you, then turn on you when you've been lulled into a false sense of security. I'd rather have full-on aggression any day.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mel by a country mile.

What a dissappointment she has been (to me) She has done herself no favours on this show. She is relentlessly negative and narky. Gone right off her.:(

Didn't disappoint me because I knew exactly what to expect, it was only a matter of time ;-)