Sad Story Of Sir Norman Wisdom.

1235»

Comments

• Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fairylight wrote: »
    well thats a sob story if ever i heard one should imagine most of its made up. caring for someone with dementia is no easy task and too many people look down on the grown up kids who cant cope, unfortunately most elderly people have to sell there homes to pay for their care and most would be shocked at how much this costs.

I have to say that I am surprised that there is so much value placed on an article in the Daily Mail of all papers whose name was dragged through the mud (and rightly so) on these boards for the Stephen Gately story that it printed. In starting the article by asking if Norman 'must wonder' ... well err...yes.. I doubt that, he most likely hasn't a clue where he is so posh surroundings when you've forgotten the basic elements of hygiene and can barely remember to eat are somewhat lost on a dementia patient. Cruel but for those of who have seen this illness close up, it's true.

My great grandmother, my gran and my father in law have all suffered from dementia and I agree with your comments fairylight - it is extremely painful process that is made arguably worse dealing with the cost of care that is placed very high. It is also worth saying that some care homes cannot always accept patients - my great grandmother was extremely violent and only one place in our area at the time would take her.

My mother in law cared for her husband since he had a brain injury, in total 30 years of her life before she made the heart wrenching decision to place him in care due to her heart problems. There was absolutely no question in our minds as her family that she was mistaken in placing him in care for it gave her the chance to do the things she wanted before she died. So call us hard hearted to if you must but I'll argue back that this intensely private and personal decision is never taken without a lot of thought. Both she and her sons where dealing with decision about a husband and a father who wasn't there anymore, the person in that body had long left it for the patient that was left. Posts like those on here that bid to give Norman a better life upsets me terribly as I saw the anguish that she went through thinking that she might be accused of awful things.

It's easy to feel sorry for Norman Wisdom and to wish him a better life with more dignity but it's not the family that are removing that, but this awful disease.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I will say it again -

This thread is 4 years old.

What opinions I had then were based on the knowledge available at the time.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppitypop wrote: »
    I would like to add that it is very common for family to have power of attorney over someone's property, money and belongings in a situation like this where they are not in a fit state to make decisions.
    So it says they are selling his property but maybe they are selling it to pay for the 24hr care he is getting. Its very easy to jump to conclusions without all the facts.

Agreed. Some people have no idea how much 'posh' private care costs. I don't know Norman's condition but I'd give some people a month with dealing with a confused person who hardly sleeps, asks the same questions over and over and again, is angry/confused/terrified at what's happening and is doubly incontinent to see their views.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will say it again -

Oops, sorry - I've forgotten how to read :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    I will say it again -

Oh :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Norman is a lovely bloke, but let's not get carried away with his alleged talent level. His 'comedy' was turgid at best, very dated and not particularly up there when remembering comedians of that era.

His current dilema is being played out by thousands of old folk across the country as we speak, many of which have far less to look forward to than he does.

Feel sorry for him by all means, but don't forget the less fortunate and unknown people that are suffering more than him.
    Forum Member
    Scrap the above, just read the thread is 4 years old, he'll be egg-on by now.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Norman is a lovely bloke, but let's not get carried away with his alleged talent level. His 'comedy' was turgid at best, very dated and not particularly up there when remembering comedians of that era.

His current dilema is being played out by thousands of old folk across the country as we speak, many of which have far less to look forward to than he does.

Feel sorry for him by all means, but don't forget the less fortunate and unknown people that are suffering more than him.

His "comedy" was loved by many people whether you liked it or not. He is a loved character of his time, what is wrong with that?

His situation is played out by many many people but his work means he should not suffer as others do. His work and gained income should enure that regardless of how old this thread is.

Concentration should inded be placed on others because he is one person who should not require our help/sympathy/pity if he was given the dignity asnd respect his earnings/work should have earned him.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrap the above, just read the thread is 4 years old, he'll be egg-on by now.

He'll be what by now? :confused:
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone read the very, very sad story about the present state of Norman Wisdom?

OK, I read it in the Daily Mail, but there must be some truth in it.

Apparently Norman has the early stages of Alzheimer's and is in a slightly confused state. His (grown-up) children have taken it on themselves to put Norman into a care home, sold off parts of his property, taken control of his money, sold his beloved cars, have not allowed him access to his personal possessions and have forbade visits by his old friends. His room in the care home is, by all accounts, very stark with a hard single bed and plastic furniture - he has recently been allowed two of his own comfy chairs in. Big deal!

Well, we obviously don't know the full facts and no doubt they don't wish to harm their Dad.....but.....I just feel so sad that this genuinely lovely man who provided so much innocent fun and laughter throughout my childhood, has ended up in this bleak situation.

I just wish his friends would group together, break him out of there and keep him safe somewhere so he can end his days surrounded by people and belongings that are dear to him.

He deserves more than this.

Did anyone else see the story and what are your opinions?

wasn't he seen at pinewood a while ago?
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a short article on his 'official' website. The guy who runs it went to see Sir Norman in 2008, and unfortunately his memory is all but shot - he can't remember anything about his career. He said that he is being VERY well looked after though - I think the Daily Mail story from 07 was a bit scurrilous myself.

Here's the link:

http://www.normanwisdom.co.uk/index.php/news/128-daily-mail-article-full-of-lies-
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a short article on his 'official' website. The guy who runs it went to see Sir Norman in 2008, and unfortunately his memory is all but shot - he can't remember anything about his career. He said that he is being VERY well looked after though - I think the Daily Mail story from 07 was a bit scurrilous myself.

Here's the link:

http://www.normanwisdom.co.uk/index.php/news/128-daily-mail-article-full-of-lies-

Yes, I linked to that site in one of my previous posts. Here s another link from there, which is disputing Sky News's obituary of Norman, which was apparantly on the web! :eek:
  • guest5234guest5234 Posts: 1,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ohhhhhhhhhh so that is a "fact" is it....you alone speak for everyone, that is your opinion but please do not make statments that you think are "facts" the bloke IMO was a comic genius and was loved my the vast majority of the people in this Country...stop being such a ****
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guest5234 wrote: »
    Ohhhhhhhhhh so that is a "fact" is it....you alone speak for everyone, that is your opinion but please do not make statments that you think are "facts" the bloke IMO was a comic genius and was loved my the vast majority of the people in this Country...stop being such a ****

well said
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    Yes, I linked to that site in one of my previous posts. Here s another link from there, which is disputing Sky News's obituary of Norman, which was apparantly on the web! :eek:

Oh I do apologise; I tend just to skim through threads sometimes ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I do apologise; I tend just to skim through threads sometimes ;)

No need to apologise - I just thought the ther item was even worse!
    Forum Member
    guest5234 wrote: »

Did I say I spoke for everyone, pillock?

You slate my opinion, foist yours upon us, and then have the audacity to call me something at the end of your post that needs blanking out!

Have a word with yourself, or grow up, whichever comes sooner.
    Forum Member
    sofieellis wrote: »
    well said

Stop bumlicking, sycophant. :)