Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 23)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    I'd happily welcome a 'dark' Leona, but as long as it's along the sexy dark route - not the slow, overly depressing style dark.

Think G4L by Rihanna dark over Bring Me To Life dark lol.
    saxman25o wrote: »
    Leona needs to come out in the new era with a FULL ON dark look, hair, fringe,& imitation leathers the works UP tempo and kick arse Songs let em have it ,between the eyes the main difference between todays crap and what Leona delivers is Leona can actually SING
    Leona is quality ,and can always deliver quality her hard core fan base want..
    to be as they say ( relevant) she needs to appeal to the single buying teenies and be played on radio ONE

Leona can do both so Bring it on Leona :D

Can you imagine her coming back with that sort of look and this sort of song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJVlW2JoL30

J.R. Rotem. I'm pretty sure it's a demo, the lyrics seem to be from a girls point of view, but they're amazing :D
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh I dunno, it's a bit rocky... I like the bass/drum beats making the song dark, not the guitars haha...

I like this song, which was rumoured for Rihanna
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6vKswy4L4

I also likeee ICE (written by Tedder) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfR3pUK7uzA
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    Ooh I dunno, it's a bit rocky... I like the bass/drum beats making the song dark, not the guitars haha...

I like this song, which was rumoured for Rihanna
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6vKswy4L4

I also likeee ICE (written by Tedder) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfR3pUK7uzA

Ice is a style of track that would suit Leona, plus it's got a great hook and it's edgy. I'm both dreading and looking forward to the day the lead single is announced. If it's a ballad I may cry, yes it will be a great song as usual, but it's almost imperative that it be an uptempo, if not it should have a bloody catchy hook.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Sazaleeno wrote: »
    Ice is a style of track that would suit Leona, plus it's got a great hook and it's edgy. I'm both dreading and looking forward to the day the lead single is announced. If it's a ballad I may cry, yes it will be a great song as usual, but it's almost imperative that it be an uptempo, if not it should have a bloody catchy hook.

If it's a ballad she's stuffed, especially in America. If they haven't learnt their lesson by now they never will.

No ballad and no Tedder for the first 3 singles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has anyone ever kept a proper list of all of Leona's accidents and near misses since the X-Factor? I was thinking of how many scrapes she's had.

Did her leg in falling off horse?
    Got punched by the nutter
    Got head butted by horse

Got thrown to ground by bodyguard when cops stopped robbers
    Fell down lift shaft on tour
    Did arm in on tour
    Ended up stuck in hotel in Africa after bombing

Those are the ones off the top of my head but there are more I'm sure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever kept a proper list of all of Leona's accidents and near misses since the X-Factor? I was thinking of how many scrapes she's had.

Did her leg in falling off horse?
    Got punched by the nutter
    Got head butted by horse

Got thrown to ground by bodyguard when cops stopped robbers
    Fell down lift shaft on tour
    Did arm in on tour
    Ended up stuck in hotel in Africa after bombing

Those are the ones off the top of my head but there are more I'm sure

http://everythingmainstream.tumblr.com/post/2075464530/do-you-think-2010-was-a-bad-year-for-you

I love the "You Think 2010 was a bad year for you?" Headline hahaha.

And yeah, there is NO need for a ballad to be in her first few singles... even if it went Uptempo, mid-tempo, Uptempo, ballady, midtempo, uptempo..

And yes, I'm expecting 6 singles from this album, and for them not to wait 5 months between released. Get videos shot consecutively if needs be!

If lead single is hot, don't drag it out and beat it to death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://everythingmainstream.tumblr.com/post/2075464530/do-you-think-2010-was-a-bad-year-for-you

I love the "You Think 2010 was a bad year for you?" Headline hahaha.

And yeah, there is NO need for a ballad to be in her first few singles... even if it went Uptempo, mid-tempo, Uptempo, ballady, midtempo, uptempo..

And yes, I'm expecting 6 singles from this album, and for them not to wait 5 months between released. Get videos shot consecutively if needs be!

If lead single is hot, don't drag it out and beat it to death.

I forgot about the cat:D

They should give a sneak preview to some US stations of the lead single to check for airplay and likeability, if it's a half decent song it should do well. Happy still sold 500K and got no promo or airplay in the US.

Do agree about the single releases though, they really should have two songs ready to go with videos done, as soon as the first song fades from the charts hit them with the second one and launch the album.

I want 4 songs from the album in 12 months not 24.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Artists like SuBo and Alicia Keys who belong to Syco and J respectively are artists that have a particular niche, there isn't a chance in hell of either of them releasing a pop driven uptempo number. Leona on the otherhand is an artist whose forte is ballads, yet we know she is more than capable of doing uptempo numbers as well. There should be no reason therefore why Syco/J don't try an uptempo track for the lead single, it doesn't have to be a bombastic RedOne production nor a Max Martin mildly-cheesy track either. It just needs to be edgy and have a great hook and a good beat, something that David Guetta would produce, or even Stargate who has had popular hits with Only Girl in the World, Firework and What's My Name? recently.

There shouldn't be this constant 5 month gap between releases either, it seems to be release strategy that Syco/J seem to love for some strange reason. All they have to do is pick a great, radio friendly lead single which should hopefully sell itself, then two months later at max it will be time for the next single. That way, Leona is constantly in the public eye and will always be on radio, just how Take That, Katy Perry, Rhianna, JLS are today. With this approach they could easily achieve 4/5 singles from the next era, with a release schedule looking roughly like this:

April: Lead single goes to radio
    May: Lead single gets released
    June: Second single goes to radio
    July: Second single gets released along with album
    September: Third single gets released
    October: Thrid single gets released, UK/USA X Factor promotion
    Jan: Fourth single goes to radio
    February: Fourth single gets released
    April: Fifth single goes to radio
    May: Fifth single gets released along with Deluxe Edition of album, which would feature fourth and fifth singles

*This results in big Leona success which would hopefully lead to a worldwide tour spanning between mid 2012 and mid 2013*

Or in the likely Syco/J release strategy

June: Lead single gets released with album
    November: Second single goes to radio
    December: Second single gets released

*End of era*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *agrees with Saz on about 98% of that.* I'm still unsure about David Guetta, I'd like her to go with someone less known... or if she does something with a known producer, then something totally different.
    Eg. An Only Girl style song done by erm... Tedder? I dunno - but you know what I mean? Something not too obvious. But certainly NOT a ballad.

Off-topic, I just bought myself a gorgeous Alexander McQueen shirt for my 21st as a present to myself haha. I just wanted to share my excitement with you all. :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Artists like SuBo and Alicia Keys who belong to Syco and J respectively are artists that have a particular niche, there isn't a chance in hell of either of them releasing a pop driven uptempo number. Leona on the otherhand is an artist whose forte is ballads, yet we know she is more than capable of doing uptempo numbers as well. There should be no reason therefore why Syco/J don't try an uptempo track for the lead single, it doesn't have to be a bombastic RedOne production nor a Max Martin mildly-cheesy track either. It just needs to be edgy and have a great hook and a good beat, something that David Guetta would produce, or even Stargate who has had popular hits with Only Girl in the World, Firework and What's My Name? recently.

There shouldn't be this constant 5 month gap between releases either, it seems to be release strategy that Syco/J seem to love for some strange reason. All they have to do is pick a great, radio friendly lead single which should hopefully sell itself, then two months later at max it will be time for the next single. That way, Leona is constantly in the public eye and will always be on radio, just how Take That, Katy Perry, Rhianna, JLS are today.

Totally agree, uptempo does'nt have to be bubble gum pop it can be a bit more rocky, the live arrangements for tracks like FM and Naked have shown that she can do uptempo's well live.

I've never got this long gap between single releases, I think part of the problem has been the simultaneous release of tracks in the USA and Europe at the same time.

She needs to focus on the USA and I still think we may well see the first single released in the USA first backed with a big US radio tour.

I know most think she'll release in the UK first, they may well do but what they can't do is release in the USA and UK at the same time, she's GOT to spend some time in the states promoting.

They should also do the second single video as well so the song is ready to go and they are not scrabbling around in a panic like they were for IGY which was totally screwed up.

I'm hoping J stay in the driving seat this time, leave Cowell to play with Ms Tweedy.

I'm really hopeful for 2011, Leona's got so much confidence on stage now AND I hope they keep that band together, they've worked with Leona so much now they play like they've been together for years.

Don't start giving her session musicians again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need 2 lead singles really. Or at least 2 songs which are both lead single worthy, incase one doesn't take off they can rush out the back-up plan. They put all their eggs in one basket with Happy last time and it backfired on them. :rolleyes:

I think it would be a good idea for her Label to get her to do a contemporary duet with a big US male star as well. At least that way if the solo song goes tits up they have a safe option. Like what 'No Air' did for Jordin Sparks. I can imagine Leona and someone like Justin Timberlake doing a song like this actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZK-6jaLLRY
  • Options
    Forum Member

Or in the likely Syco/J release strategy

June: Lead single gets released with album
    November: Second single goes to radio
    December: Second single gets released

*End of era*

Only if Simon Cowell is driving things, all he's interested in is launching X-Factor in the USA and promoting the chav, if he gets his way Leona's releases will be arranged to suit HIM.

J need to put their foot down, I want them to give Leona top priority this time after the disaster of Echo in the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They need 2 lead singles really. Or at least 2 songs which are both lead single worthy, incase one doesn't take off they can rush out the back-up plan. They put all their eggs in one basket with Happy last time and it backfired on them. :rolleyes:

I think it would be a good idea for her Label to get her to do a contemporary duet with a big US male star as well. At least that way if the solo song goes tits up they have a safe option. Like what 'No Air' did for Jordin Sparks. I can imagine Leona and someone like Justin Timberlake doing a song like this actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZK-6jaLLRY

Actually I don't think she needs that, so long as they get a good radio friendly song and plenty of promo that should get it up the charts, Happy I think got to 30? with no airplay.

If they do go with a ballad or mid tempo number I'm going to enter the X-Factor as Wagners ugly brother:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I don't think she needs that, so long as they get a good radio friendly song and plenty of promo that should get it up the charts, Happy I think got to 30? with no airplay.

If they do go with a ballad or mid tempo number I'm going to enter the X-Factor as Wagners ugly brother:D:D:D:D

That's true, I don't think she's been written off over there just yet. She's done it before so I don't see why she can't do it again. Have a big US hit I mean. It's all about her label picking the right song. She's recording good songs, it boils down to whether they hear the same thing we are hearing. Which usually isn't the case. :p I swear to god if they pick a dodgy single again they deserve to be shot dead.

Well the level of talent is going down dramatically every year, so you'd probably win the bloody thing. :D:D:D
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    I really hope they pick the right lead song song in the next era and don't mess about with stupid release dates etc.

Would you lot class 'Try Sleeping With a Broken Heart' as a ballad? I know it's a love song, which Leona has done a lot of, but it's got a really good beat. A lot Alicia's material are slow songs and she sells really well. I know they kinda need to release a song that will surprise people though. Leona just needs the right songs...
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the first thing for Syco/J to be doing (or what they should already have done) is find out who Leona's audience are. If we're talking about a lot of women over the age of 35/40, then "darker", "edgier", "sexier" etc aren't really the way to go. Those are often the stock industry responses to an underperforming album but it doesn't always work. It's not entirely clear where Leona lies on the "pop scale". Is she closer to Alicia Keys than she is to Rihanna? Obviously Mariah was the comparison when she started out but IDJ don't seem to know what to do next with her so that's no help just now.

It's going to be a very fine balance between getting back on US radio without alienating the millions of people who bought Spirit. And I'm pretty sure she'll be doing something ballad-like when she appears on XF UK and US in the run up to Christmas. I'd expect the mid/uptempos in the spring/summer and I'll be interested to see if they just put singles out in the middle of the year or if they put the album out as well. Overall, the UK/US singles strategy needs to be a bit more organised (to put it lightly).

In terms of image - nice. It's simple, it's Leona, it appeals even if it's not "edgy and cool". Rihanna's doing better with a far more relaxed image this year compared to last year where there was a real push on the dark, maturing side. For the album cover, more Spirit Deluxe than Echo which was a bit cold. For clothes I'd be ditching the ballgowns and such like. Again - nice. Don't go all sexy and revealing but also not as OTT as the Vivienne Westwood stuff.
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    I agree they need to find her audience. It will be hard though because I think she has a wide range. Like when I went to the book signing I saw a mix of people from kids to teens and 20 and 40+. So like you said C14E, going down the edgier sexier route might not work and alienate some people (although judging by sales some had already alienated her).

One thing they do need to get right is the release schedule like everyone has said. They really need to fix up and sort that out.

Anyway apparently this is a Leona Lewis demo, it's called 'Like a Ghost'...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRO86m5BmBo
  • Options
    saxman25osaxman25o Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it`s obviouse that huge gaps with nothing happening take an artist off the radar and even more effort has to be put in when the artist re emerges to get back on top
    ( not everyone can do a Presley)
    Or want be caught falling out of a car at 3 am by cameramen who just Happen to be there just to be back in the news :rolleyes:

Some certain ( artists) have the benefit of being paraded in front off millions weekly almost worn like a arm ornament by other celebs:mad: that also helps keep you ( relevant)or as some do ,appear wearing something outragiouse

It seems to me that as long as whatever Leona does (and has good taste and is proffessional as we know she is ) then does it really matter if for a short while her main fan base shifts slightly?

When back on top ( not regarded by some as a ball gown wearing statue with vocal chords) but as the a vibrant young force to be recond with that we all know Leona is -

Leona can then do virtually anything having shown the variety she is capable of :D
    In My opinion Leona has to re appear kicking butt ! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MikePJB wrote: »
    I really hope they pick the right lead song song in the next era and don't mess about with stupid release dates etc.

Would you lot class 'Try Sleeping With a Broken Heart' as a ballad? I know it's a love song, which Leona has done a lot of, but it's got a really good beat. A lot Alicia's material are slow songs and she sells really well. I know they kinda need to release a song that will surprise people though. Leona just needs the right songs...

First single has to be uptempo or it won't get played in the USA, if J haven't learnt that lesson yet I give up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    saxman25o wrote: »
    it`s obviouse that huge gaps with nothing happening take an artist off the radar and even more effort has to be put in when the artist re emerges to get back on top
    ( not everyone can do a Presley)
    Or want be caught falling out of a car at 3 am by cameramen who just Happen to be there just to be back in the news :rolleyes:

Some certain ( artists) have the benefit of being paraded in front off millions weekly almost worn like a arm ornament by other celebs:mad: that also helps keep you ( relevant)or as some do ,appear wearing something outragiouse

It seems to me that as long as whatever Leona does (and has good taste and is proffessional as we know she is ) then does it really matter if for a short while her main fan base shifts slightly?

When back on top ( not regarded by some as a ball gown wearing statue with vocal chords) but as the a vibrant young force to be recond with that we all know Leona is -

Leona can then do virtually anything having shown the variety she is capable of :D
    In My opinion Leona has to re appear kicking butt ! :D

I hope so as well, I want a 'bit' of swagger about her this time around, she has the confidence now from her touring.

I'd love her to record her album using the band she's been playing with as well, they have a 'sound' now a Leona sound when they play together, would be nice to take that into the studio. The two girl backing singers have voices that work really well with Leona's.

I'm SO looking forward to 2011 now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A reminder for those who may want to cast their vote for Leona in the X Factor's Greatest Ever Contestants Poll:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1399192

You don't have to list every contestant in preferential order, just do about 20 contestants and then copy and paste the rest from another person's list lol. That way, Leona gets the most points possible! :D She came second last time to Alexandra, but she has been number 1 ever since the 2006 poll.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    I think the first thing for Syco/J to be doing (or what they should already have done) is find out who Leona's audience are. If we're talking about a lot of women over the age of 35/40, then "darker", "edgier", "sexier" etc aren't really the way to go. Those are often the stock industry responses to an underperforming album but it doesn't always work. It's not entirely clear where Leona lies on the "pop scale". Is she closer to Alicia Keys than she is to Rihanna? Obviously Mariah was the comparison when she started out but IDJ don't seem to know what to do next with her so that's no help just now.

It's going to be a very fine balance between getting back on US radio without alienating the millions of people who bought Spirit. And I'm pretty sure she'll be doing something ballad-like when she appears on XF UK and US in the run up to Christmas. I'd expect the mid/uptempos in the spring/summer and I'll be interested to see if they just put singles out in the middle of the year or if they put the album out as well. Overall, the UK/US singles strategy needs to be a bit more organised (to put it lightly).

In terms of image - nice. It's simple, it's Leona, it appeals even if it's not "edgy and cool". Rihanna's doing better with a far more relaxed image this year compared to last year where there was a real push on the dark, maturing side. For the album cover, more Spirit Deluxe than Echo which was a bit cold. For clothes I'd be ditching the ballgowns and such like. Again - nice. Don't go all sexy and revealing but also not as OTT as the Vivienne Westwood stuff.

This post pretty much sums up most of my views :)

The release schedule is vital.
    I hope so as well, I want a 'bit' of swagger about her this time around, she has the confidence now from her touring.

This is important too, to win over the average person I think. That's one thing my sister said wasn't very obvious on the tour until They Don't Care About Us/OMH/Sweet Dreams onwards. I think she needs to show that performance side a lot more :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just going to say Happy New Year to everyone now before I get too drunk! :p

Here's to an AMAZING 2011!

Oh and Happy Birthday to me for tomorrow ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Happy new year to all let's hope it's a real killer for year for LeLe
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just going to say Happy New Year to everyone now before I get too drunk! :p

Here's to an AMAZING 2011!

Oh and Happy Birthday to me for tomorrow ;):D

Happy Birthday, Hope you have a great day tomorrow:) Happy New Year also :)

Happy New Year to Leona and everyone:) Hope we all have an amazing Leona Year:)
This discussion has been closed.