Options

Benefit's Street Axed - Cast Demand 5 Figure Salaries

NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
Forum Member
Looks like the publicity may have gone to their heads !

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/benefits-street-axed-white-dee-3730329

"Plans to film a second series of the Channel 4 reality show in Birmingham have been ditched because the cast, including White Dee, have reportedly demanded five figure salaries.

Producers are said to be holding crisis meetings with some of the key residents of James Turner Street in the hope of brining them back on board."

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how it could be called 'Benefits Street' if the 'cast' is paid 5 figure sums and have to come off benefits.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought ''White Dee'' had lost most of her benefits as a result of appearing in the programme and taking part in various junkets for which she was paid. Surely the follow-up series should be investigating these payments, including any made by Channel 4 to people they knew were claiming they had no income ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I thought ''White Dee'' had lost most of her benefits as a result of appearing in the programme and taking part in various junkets for which she was paid. Surely the follow-up series should be investigating these payments, including any made by Channel 4 to people they knew were claiming they had no income ?

Yes there is no way she should be claiming benefits after all the money she's allegedly been paid.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should just axe it. Those people don't deserve to be 'celebrities'. Time for them to vanish back into anonymity and their pathetic little lives.
  • Options
    tco200tco200 Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely they can find another street in another town?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tco200 wrote: »
    Surely they can find another street in another town?

Channel 5 are using the other street for their benefits bashing show.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the above comments and yet, why should C4 make money off the backs of some of the most vulnerable in our society and not compensate them? From what was reported last time, it sounded like the producers promised the participants one thing and did another, I think they got together and wised up. Good for them for not making it easy for C4 to muck-rake.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    They should just axe it. Those people don't deserve to be 'celebrities'. Time for them to vanish back into anonymity and their pathetic little lives.

Well said.

Even in this celebrity-obsessed age where you can be a celebrity for simply appearing in a reality TV programme, those people simply waltz off with the Huntley and Palmers.

They are nothings
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just axe it. Usual Channel 4 trash
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shouldn't have made it on tv in the first place.
  • Options
    ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad it's going but how much are they talking? 35 hours per week on minimum wage is a five figure salary (£11,484). Did they just want to be paid?
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the above comments and yet, why should C4 make money off the backs of some of the most vulnerable in our society and not compensate them? From what was reported last time, it sounded like the producers promised the participants one thing and did another, I think they got together and wised up. Good for them for not making it easy for C4 to muck-rake.

Exactly this. Channel 4 were the ones who profited in the end - I don't blame the contributors for wanting their share. But of course, the show should never have been made in the first place. I love that the contributors themselves, who were so meticulously sourced and banked on to be outrageous by Channel 4, have been the show's Achilles heel.

Crisis talks? Born Risky? Lol.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most mainstream broadcasters have a policy of compensating you if they come in to your home, use your electricity, toilet facilities etc and you provide them with tea and sandwiches.It depends what was agreed in this case.
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair play to them. They need jobs - why should c4 makes loads of money whilst they remain dependent on the state?
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    good news, time to axe all the other benefits programs aswell
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Finally, No loss. Hopefully White Dee will crawl back under that stone she came from and fade into obscurity.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    There is no evidence provided that what is said in the thread title has any truth so the claim is at best unsubstantiated.. The report from Midlands Today from a few days ago showed that a meeting was taking where the community was totally opposed to Channel 4 doing another series. It seems as those the penny has finally dropped that these programmes will just use the most extreme cases to paint a totally inaccurate picture of the average claimant. Whilst a minority should be condemned for abusing the system the evidence shows that most claimants are honest and genuine. Indeed the figures for ESA, PIP, sanctions etc indicate that huge numbers of genuine people are suffering because of a not fit for purpose system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no evidence provided that what is said in the thread title has any truth so the claim is at best unsubstantiated.. The report from Midlands Today from a few days ago showed that a meeting was taking where the community was totally opposed to Channel 4 doing another series. It seems as those the penny has finally dropped that these programmes will just use the most extreme cases to paint a totally inaccurate picture of the average claimant. Whilst a minority should be condemned for abusing the system the evidence shows that most claimants are honest and genuine. Indeed the figures for ESA, PIP, sanctions etc indicate that huge numbers of genuine people are suffering because of a not fit for purpose system.
    Yeah but no but yeah.

These shows, show 2 or 3 people abusing the welfare system, so that's almost 20 whole people as evidence that those on the dole abuse the system.

It's like when they show MP's abusing the expenses system, they only need to show 2 or 3 of them doing it for everyone to know it is ALL MPs who are doing it

Never mind the fact that there are 2.5 million unemployed and only 500,000 jobs.

If a TV show, shows enough people doing something wrong, then it should be taken as proof that all people are doing wrong.

:mad:
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Deccomajor wrote: »
    Finally, No loss. Hopefully White Dee will crawl back under that stone she came from and fade into obscurity.

Other than showing new residents/claimants I'm not really sure where they could go with a new series. By the sound of it residnets come and go quite frequently anyway.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5 are using the other street for their benefits bashing show.

I'm sure they were advertising for other streets to get in touch at the end of the last series - I'm guessing however once people had seen it, they'd be reluctant to come forward.

I do like the fact that the article ends with
    However, TV bosses have claimed they never had any plans to film any more instalments of Benefits Street.

A Channel 4 spokesman said: "There are no plans to film a second series of Benefits Street."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping to never see White Dee on telly again. I simply find her intensely irritating and unlikeable. Her voice and her manner.