Options

Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners C4 Now

Comments

• Options
    poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Charlotte is a cheeky bugger who doesn't deserve to get her home cleaned !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlotte sorting the pile of knickers and bras in her bedroom - "knickers, I think their clean" :o:o

If I was in that show I would hide all my knickers and bras and make sure Ive bleached the loo. :D
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a kid, the girl who used to babysit us, her mom lived like some of the people you see on the show. I remember going to her house once and the front room was literally knee-deep in laundry, newspapers, and trash and the whole kitchen sideboard/counter space was covered in dirty dishes. I'm not sure what they ate off of but it was pretty horrific. Thanks goodness they didn't have a cat or dog as I'm sure it would have smelled much worse. At the risk of someone saying 'well, duh!', I think the people who live in hoarded and dirty homes have some kind of mental illness to be living that way. I'm not saying you have to have a gleaming home, but wading through trash to get to your sofa is definitely worrying.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    I think the people who live in hoarded and dirty homes have some kind of mental illness to be living that way. I'm not saying you have to have a gleaming home, but wading through trash to get to your sofa is definitely worrying.

It's 'boiling frog' syndrome. It begins with a small amount of clutter which you get used to. Then as the clutter increases you gradually adjust your lifestyle to compensate for it until eventually you're living a tiotally unnatural existence and don't even notice it.
  • Options
    KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love watching this show, I always end up doing a bit of tidying during the ad breaks. My house is somewhat cluttered, messy and not as clean as I would like it to be, but its not quite as bad as those on the show! I hate people visiting, unless I am given plenty of notice to sort out the rooms they are likely to go into.
    Last weekend I had family coming for the day, the washing up (a few days worth) went outside the back door, and piles of paperwork and general mess went into carrier bags and were shoved into the pantry and under the stairs!
    I wish I could catch a small dose of the cleaning and organising bug! :blush:
  • Options
    david kleinfelddavid kleinfeld Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    ...And always immaculately dressed! :)

the cleaners are always immaculate, shining hair, clean teeth, clean clothes, well groomed, and you know they will smell gorgeous too ! its self pride. the people they visit cant possibly keep themselves clean can they in bathrooms like that, they always have dirty neglected teeth, greasy hair, grubby clothes, bad skin and i bet they smell bad, they have no pride and no idea of even a basic standard of cleanliness for their homes, how do they prepare food and why dont they have tummy upsets? and they invariably have some poor sad skanky looking pet that is probably riddled with fleas and worms ( usually allowed to do its no2's in the house - to add to the ambience no doubt) i do have my sympathy for the hoarder problem people but some of them are just basically stupid idle slobs and they know it deep down and they are the ones that say the cleaners have a bigger problem than them because it makes them feel better about themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The state of that toilet in the couples house!! How can anyone let their toilet get into such a state? :o It was putrid!

because they are lazy dirty slobs who think its okay for their s**t to be part of their interior decor!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark is vile; hark at him saying he prefers to be single because women nag - no woman in her right mind would have him! Usually the people in the dirty homes have just lost their way a bit & are basically nice, but he is deeply unpleasant.

so you dont think hes fighting off a string of willing fillies that just cant wait to have some fun in his pimp crib? who could resist that stained sticky mattress, floor littered with dogends and snot soaked tissues, move over hugh hefner!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    because they are lazy dirty slobs who think its okay for their s**t to be part of their interior decor!

It was bad enough having a bog in that state, but to then display it on TV. She didn't even seem to care. No shame whatsoever.

You have described them well. Lazy dirty slobs (with no shame) is very appropriate.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    Which just proves to them that their cleaning regime is working. It would be much more useful to do a swab first, then clean and swab again. The readings aren't likely to vary much, so it would indicate they don't need to clean so often.... surely?

That woman tonight with the great big mansion to look after, yet she supposedly cleans her kitchen cupboard doors up to 15 times a day. That's more or less hourly :o:o:confused:

The quantities these people use are just insane - tonight it was half a bottle of bleach down the toilet, all of which ends up having to be treated at the other end and cleaned up. Sod the environment. Less is more, people! :D

Totally agree with all of this! I find the tests quite interesting (as it's something you'd never know) but the manner in which they do them is pointless. The only thing I thought that was good this week was the swabbing of the dogs - at least we got to see something they couldn't control and a stark contrast to their bleached surfaces. I secretly chuckled inside at the thought of the 5000+ rated dog paws tootling all over their 0 reading floor.

I don't really believe all this 'I wipe the back of my fridge 50 times a day and use 100 bottles of bleach a month' business and I do think that there is a bit of a difference between those who are a bit funny about cleaning (and like to be known as uber-clean, I think some people play up to it) and those who genuinely have OCD and have to spend 15 minutes locking the door.

I have to say this week's couple were a far cry from some of the hoarders we see on the programme. They were messy, yes, and pretty unclean... but even their table didn't look to have much dust on it (supposedly hadn't been cleaned for 2 years?!). It's a totally different kettle of fish from the hoarders who can't get in to their own bedroom or who have 30 years of receipts and cat food rotting in a heap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really need to watch the U.S. Hoarders if you want to see serious people. With problems. Frozen dead cats in the freezer, anyone? The woman had loads of cats (they all seem to) and when they died, she always intended to bury them but never got around to it. Some of the scenes are so awful you have to shield your eyes.

Most of the real hoarders are filled with rage, are very controlling, and part with their stuff very reluctantly. Very few are likeable, unlike the people on this show who are portrayed mostly as nice people who let things get out of hand.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You only have to stand near some smelly people in shops to imagine what their homes must be like.
    When one of my sisters was about nine or ten, she was friends with a young lad from school who lived nearby. She was told not to go in his house as it was dirty, but she sneaked there anyway, One day, she came running in digusted, the lad had gone behind the sofa and had a wee. when she asked him why he had done this, he said that his dad always did it, so it was alright :o
    His dad was a local taxi driver, pity his passengers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avril last night reminded me of Olive from "On The Buses"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if the episode from last nite was new, but the bit where they swabbed the guy's cat... what the heck was that meant to prove? If the reading had been under 500 would Hailey have been willing to eat her dinner off its back? I have to assume it was a silly gimmick for the show, she can't really be interested in finding out how germ-free a cat is. Lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The woman last night who put Dettol (I think it was Dettol anyway, could be wrong) - surely that's not right? I think the tubby older woman was just dirty and lazy and wanted someone to come in and clean up her nasty mess :(
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Why would anyone want to wash their children down with dettol? isnt that almost like child abuse? scrubbing them to be rid of their germs, feel very sad for her children, she has lots of issues that she is putting on to them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to wash their children down with dettol? isnt that almost like child abuse? scrubbing them to be rid of their germs, feel very sad for her children, she has lots of issues that she is putting on to them

While I think she's ott with cleaning (as they usually are on this show), I don't think using Dettol is harmful, it looked like she only put a capful in the bath water. Once a week seems excessive though. My husband will sometimes use a bit of Dettol in the bath if he's been ill. I don't care for the smell of it myself though. Her children are still pretty young, it would be interesting to revisit them in a few years when they become more independent-minded. Kids will often end up doing the opposite of how they were brought up. As a kid I was always tidy and now I clean when I need to but I don't obsess about it. My brother was a complete slob and now his house looks like a show-home. My daughter's a bit of a slob so maybe she'll end up being an uber-tidy person, who knows. :D
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that hit new heights (lows?) of ludicrousness yesterday! Scrubbing lego with a toothbrush for pocket money? Why not just rinse it under a tap? And painting a floor twice a day to save having to clean it? :o It's barely ever going to be dry enough to walk on. Where the heck do they find these people? Are they for real?

Even visiting the 'dirty' house, the guy turns up (not knowing what to expect) in flop-flops and she's walking around in bare feet :o ugh!
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    Well, that hit new heights (lows?) of ludicrousness yesterday! Scrubbing lego with a toothbrush for pocket money? Why not just rinse it under a tap? And painting a floor twice a day to save having to clean it? :o It's barely ever going to be dry enough to walk on. Where the heck do they find these people? Are they for real?

Even visiting the 'dirty' house, the guy turns up (not knowing what to expect) in flop-flops and she's walking around in bare feet :o ugh!

I found that unbelievable :o

As for the clip of the woman licking the toilet bowl .. disgusting even if it was clean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Add me to the list of those who find the floor-painting unbelievable. I think she removed her carpets and decided to paint the floor, but that wasn't ocd enough for the producers of the show. There is no way anyone paints a floor twice a day, especially since she said she cleans for 2 hours a day, where would she find the time to paint as well? Or is the painting included in that? That wouldn't leave much time for cleaning in that case.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed tonight's episode. Some lovely people and I felt like they really helped each other. Lots of progress made.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started watching.

Come on, the child is at nursery four days a week, this girl is just lazy.
  • Options
    DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed tonight's episode. Some lovely people and I felt like they really helped each other. Lots of progress made.

Yes, very good programme tonight, everyone seemed to get something out of the experience.
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started watching.

Come on, the child is at nursery four days a week, this girl is just lazy.

It didn't quite add up to me. The boy's father only moved out six months ago and still the house hadn't been cleaned for three years. She only worked one morning a week. Lazy, yes, but surely not the whole story, presumably the father was just as bad? Boiling frog syndrome aside, I'll never understand how having a baby doesn't spur someone into keeping the house clean. If that doesn't, would anything?! :confused:

Loved the way, how during four days of intense cleaning etc, they still had time to get the paintbrushes out :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe much of anything on these shows. The man in this week's show was a true hoarder. I don't think the woman and he could clean his bath and kitchen even in four days. He hasn't changed his habits one iota, I believe.

And in the other house, it was more laziness and junk piling up than true hoarding, so it was maybe possible to throw out everything in the amount of time, but painting, no way.

I think the producers for some reason don't want to show a true hoard and a true cleanup, which usually takes professionals. They like a happy ending to all their stories.