NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
Forum Member
I hope they've got their sums right, else this could be embarrasing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32279977

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He is either a liar or he is deluded. Or both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Total nonsense Not a chance he could do that.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh! I don't get it. They're just saying their policies will be fully funded and accurate. Until we see their manifesto no one can tell if they're fully funded.

Why is this even news.
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as theirs a deficit theirs going to be borrowing
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nodger wrote: »
    I hope they've got their sums right, else this could be embarrasing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32279977

What do they mean by "no EXTRA borrowing"" That is utterly meaningless because we have no idea how much they plan to borrow in the first place.

The track records of Balls and Miliband makes this a laughable proposition.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The track record of Balls and Miliband? Osborne has borrowed more in 5 years than Labour did in 13!
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Balls seems rather vague on LBC at the moment - not quite sure what his tax rises will bring in. Ferrari is rather tying him in knots.
  • B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Total pie in the sky ! , no extra borrowing combined with a vague pledge to cut the deficit annually , by how much Mr Balls, a pound?, if I owe £100 now and £95 next year on a credit card , I have reduced the deficit but in the meantime I have paid lots of interest and spent the money elsewhere , is this the two Eds plan???
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I can see pigs flying!
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,420
    Forum Member
    'We will only spend money when we can show where it's made'

After what they did last time they were in power I have no idea how Ed Balls can say that with a straight face.

We're now supposed to trust them with the economy, not a chance.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Poy wrote: »

After what they did last time they were in power I have no idea how Ed Balls can say that with a straight face.

Again, Osborne borrowed more in his 5 years than Labour did in their 13 and the financial crash happened due to the dealings of the US financial sector. The fact that Britain was suseptable to it was due to Labour following neoliberal policies that the Tories would have advocated or even exacerbated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Big Poy wrote: »

They have not been honest about what they mean when they talk about "spending on capital projects".

The economy is now recovering from Labour's mismanagement of it. It needs to be protected from the likes of Ball and Miliband.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Again, Osborne borrowed more in his 5 years than Labour did in their 13 and the financial crash happened due to the dealings of the US financial sector. The fact that Britain was suseptable to it was due to Labour following neoliberal policies that the Tories would have advocated or even exacerbated.

You can keep banging the drum as much as you like, everybody knows where the deficit comes from and no amount of delusion on your part will change that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Balls says that seven and a half billion "extra" will be coming in from tackling tax evasion and the mansion tax. More pie in the sky.

Labour is going to have cuts in their "non-protected areas" whatever that means. That includes cutting Scotland's budget . Butt Jim Murphy is singing from a different hymn sheet.

Balls wont commit to spending 8 billion on the NHS. Radio 4 interview now.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No extra borrowing, would that not mean a borrowing cap roughly the same as over the term of the last parliamen?
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What with this and Miliband's pledge of fiscal prudence - meaningless and all far too late in the day.

Labour's Manifesto problem: You can't fatten a pig on Market Day

Remember, this is the party that voted against every single cut the Coalition Government presented. The party in the pockets of the Unions and potential bedfellows with the SNP. And they now want us to believe that they can be fiscally responsible.

Exactly how stupid do they think voters are?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Eh! I don't get it. They're just saying their policies will be fully funded and accurate. Until we see their manifesto no one can tell if they're fully funded.

Why is this even news.

Yes it is a puzzle isn't it?
    Same as Osbourne couldn't answer Marr about where the 8billion is coming from....
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well waddya know?

Allegra Stratton: BBC Political Editor
    The fiscal charter / responsibility front page was added to the Labour manifesto last Friday. Late overhaul, according to some sources

Policy being made up as they go along. Anything to get elected - after all, they're only words.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Balls not sounding very good on this during interviews this morning. Media don't seem to be falling for it.
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't believe them not with their economic track record. For one thing all of their economic related policies so far are guessing how much money they would actually take in for example from the non doms policy or the tax avoidance stuff. To rule out any borrowing seems unbelievable.
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    Well waddya know?

Allegra Stratton: BBC Political Editor

Policy being made up as they go along. Anything to get elected - after all, they're only words.

Not really. It's just a more clear way of wording what they've been saying all along.
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,420
    Forum Member
    'At Coffee House, we occasionally criticise George Osborne for stretching the truth when describing the deficit - but when it comes to hoodwinking broadcasters and deceiving voters, Ed Balls is the master. Three times on the radio today he lied about Labour’s plans, saying that he intends to have the national debt falling. He has no such plans: what he means is that he plans for the national debt to rise, but to rise more slowly than the economy is growing. What he means is that his plan is not for the debt to fall, but for a ratio to fall: the debt/GDP ratio. And isn't very ambitious, because that ratio already is falling."

Fraser Nelson, editor of the Spectator
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Miliband's borrowing targets have the same credibility as George Osborne's back in 2010.

In 2010, Mr Osborne said the borrowing would be 3% of GDP by now.

And in any case, by 2020, how exactly we will know that Mr Miliband will have kept his pledge ?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with above. I think that's what the Tories will focus on later today. I've never rated Ed Balls. I think Labour would be doing much better with Alastair Darling as chancellor.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    "Labour to cut the deficit each year"

......by 99p :p