Rock guitarist Gary Moore dies (Merged)

Comments

• ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A real loss to music, such sad news :(

As a Northern Irish man he was a great representative of us, one of our finest ever musicians.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rip :(.
  • ClairebeeClairebee Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My hubby has just found out.
    He says he's not crying but I know he is.
    Gary Moore was his fave al time guitarist, he's soooo gutted. :cry::(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes words are futile :(
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »

As a Northern Irish man he was a great representative of us, one of our finest ever musicians.

Hope he is having a Guinness with Phil .
  • Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I am sitting here crying. Gary was the first musician that made me stop in my tracks and listen properly to a record. I was never into guitar based music until someone played me Parisienne Walkways and I was speechless.

My boyfriend has worked on a few of his guitars and as he also builds his own guitars he had hoped that maybe Gary would be keen to have a play at some point. Sadly, it's not to be.

A true guitar Legend. Rest in peace Gary. You will be missed so much :(
  • mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will really miss him. Saw him a few times in the 80s and poignantly the last time was with Phil Lynott guesting with him a few weeks before Phil died.

His playing had incredible feel and emotion. Apparently he used quite heavy gauge strings which gave better tone but are hard to play unless you have strong fingers.

Bless you Gazzer.
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news indeed. He was a brilliant guitarist. I too hope he has met up with Phil in heaven and having a guiness with him too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Just saw the news and I can't believe it. What a shock. RIP Gary
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    :(

Just listened to a live version of Parisienne Walkways where he holds a note for about 20secs. Class!
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really shocked at this news. He was and always will be one of the legendary British blues/rock guitarists.

I'm listening back to my own personal favorite of his now. Over the hills and far away. It's a live clip on YouTube from the Trondheim Rock Festival last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDNoXUoFrW0&feature=related
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm really shocked at this news. He was and always will be one of the legendary British blues/rock guitarists.

I'm listening back to my own personal favorite of his now.
    Same here. Listening to Blues For Greeny. Two great British guitarists. (ot: there's a Peter Green doc on BBC4 later on).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is shocking news, the guy was a legend and one of the greatist guitarists the planet has ever seen.
    Cant believe it especially only being 58,
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,185
    Forum Member
    Just playing a compilation. Surprised there is nothing on his death on DS but then he wasnt on X Factor so..s:rolleyes:
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    As time has gone by I've felt sadder and more heavy hearted....it's terribly sad news.

The tributes on YouTube are coming in too fast to keep up with and Gary's website has crashed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    Surprised there is nothing on his death on DS but then he wasnt on X Factor so..s:rolleyes:

Am also very surprised DS have not got nothing on it, very poor considering they post x-factor results up within seconds. They are more occupied with posting about adele or whatever her name is still at number one. Reality check needed,
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,185
    Forum Member
  • draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible news. RIP Gary.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am shocked to say the least so unexpected he was and is" simply one of the best guitarists of all time" who let his music do the talking.

With Phil Lynott just over 25 years ago i was upset he was only 36 at the time and a great musician whom i saw in a pub gig (royal standard walthamstow with grand slam) as well as of course with thin lizzy.

Today i am very sad also as another member of the classic thin lizzy line up dies at 58 Gary Moore was way too young to go.He has left behind though a fantatsic back catalogue with thin lizzy,coliseum,skid row,and solo.

And many great memories,especially for me when i saw him in 1985 around september at the hammersmith odeon with phil lynott coming on stage playing parisian walkways if there is a life after this i like to think of them reunited and playing together once more.:(
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news.

I saw him with BBM ( Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, Gary Moore ) many moons ago.

A fine musician.
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news indeed. Another one of the greats gone.
    My favourite Gary Moore track is Róisín Dubh of the TL Black Rose album.

Friday night I saw the BBC 4 documentary on Thin Lizzy and yesterday watched the One night in Dublin DVD again and was wondering how great it would be if he would team up with the other TL members to do a tour.

A great loss to the world of music. RIP Gary.
  • Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »

Such a dreadful shock.
    I only ever saw Gary live in concert once in the King's Hall in Belfast. He was great.
    He was, like so many of the most talented musicians, under-rated and overlooked.
    His level of guitar-playing genius is rare because it's distinctive and beautiful.
    He's gone to fill up all those empty rooms in heaven with the sweetest guitar.
    Goodbye Gary and thank-you.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a shock. RIP Gary. :-(:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rewatched the Gary Moore and friends one night in dublin on blu ray earlier this evening, hoping it would cheer me up but just makes me even sadder.

He was always looked upon as a nice approachable guy even though I never met him and his guitar work on the one night in dublin gig was amazing.
    Any fans of gary who does not have this DVD/Blu ray its a must buy to see one of the greatest guitarists in action.

Here is the link to the blu ray but on amazon both blu ray and DVD are now currently sold out and on a 7-10 days shipping, everyone buyng them since the tragic news.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gary-Moore-Friends-Tribute-Blu-ray/dp/B001KEVR3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297046817&sr=8-1
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The comments under *this* video, with the love and admiration for Gary, are enough to make you cry.