DWTS Season 20: confirmation, speculation and news

kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It was announced today that Derek will not take part in the 20 series of DWTS as he is doing a show in New York so that is 2 popular pros now not on the show.

Comments

• Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a good thing Cheryl and Derek are leaving. I hear a lot of people complaining about the favourtism they receive in terms of who their celebrity partner is. Gives new pros a chance to be noticed/do well :)
  • Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So already Julianne and Len have confirmed to be returning as judges. This'll be Len's last season though :(

Cheryl and recently Derek, have announced their departures from DWTS as pros. Possible new additions then?

Has there been any rumours on the cast so far anybody's spotted or returning pros?

:cool:
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the impression Derek was keeping his options open - just missing the coming season....

Tristan returning by the sounds of this
    He said he had appeared on six seasons of the American version of Strictly Come Dancing – Dancing With The Stars – and will be returning there in the new year.
    From this article
    http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Stepping-amazing-Strictly-final/story-25754305-detail/story.html#ixzz3OoJDU2f4

Louis van Amstel tweet in December:
    I don't want to confirm anything I can't, but there's a good chance I'll be doing the 20th season of #dwts @DancingABC #10yearanniversary

Val says he'll be back
    http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/01/valentin_chmerkovskiy_talks_da.html

PureDWTS report that Tony has said he will be back.

Mark and Emma either don't know yet or are better at not saying. ;-)
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    I got the impression Derek was keeping his options open - just missing the coming season....

Tristan returning by the sounds of this

From this article
    http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Stepping-amazing-Strictly-final/story-25754305-detail/story.html#ixzz3OoJDU2f4

Louis van Amstel tweet in December:
    I don't want to confirm anything I can't, but there's a good chance I'll be doing the 20th season of #dwts @DancingABC #10yearanniversary

Val says he'll be back
    http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/01/valentin_chmerkovskiy_talks_da.html

I hope Tristan will still appear on Strictly. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Tristan will still appear on Strictly. :)

He says in the same article,he hopes he'll continue on SCD. I suppose none of them have been asked yet.

DWTS....
    Peta 'hoping' to be back, while Witney and Karina not sure yet what's happening.
    http://www.puredwts.com/2015/01/02/peta-murgatroyd-and-karina-smirnoff-interviewed-about-dancing-with-the-stars-season-20/

Oh, and congratulations to Karina on her engagement.:)
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Dovolani was on a tv show promoting the touring stage-show "Ballroom with a Twist" in San Antonio, Texas, and it came out in the interview that Tony will become a judge on DWTS after the coming season, in which he will be partnered with a celeb! I really thought it would be Maks, who was judge for 3 weeks on DWTS in India this past season, and he also guest-judged on the American version. I can't help but think they were considering putting Maks on the panel, but now it's Tony!

Here's a link to that interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XvF9RtQRXU&feature=youtu.be
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This article reads like a cut and paste from various sources, so pinch of salt required, but they report Robert F Kennedy as a possible celeb for next season, the start date as March 16th and Rob Wade saying the pros will be 'veteran pros', with Kym and Louis mentioned.
  • Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waving hello to Fridgesoup

I hope I am not derailing the thread but while we wait for the new season I wanted to tell you that I deleted my thread on west coast swing as I knew there was not enough interest. I was going to make a new thread on the main forum asking if WCS was done in England but I decided best to do my own research lest I have a boring conversation with myself.

I found this site and it is in Scotland where the dance seems to be the most popular and to me accurate.

http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/societies/society/EUWCSDS/about_wcs/

I just wanted to say something in case you were wondering where did the thread go when you took the time to post the Benji and Lacey videos. I appreciate it and the orange sky dance was gorgeous. I came across an interview that a westie blogger did with Tristan. Tristan says he has done WCS and he said it is like a Latin foxtrot and it is danced very low. I did not think he he had ever danced it so that was a nice surprise for me. I would love to see a video of that.

Anyway I wanted to post a few videos before the thread got deleted but ran out of time.

These are the British WCS champions at the US open for for anyone who might be interested. I thought they did a beautiful job and they made the finals 2014, 2013 and 2012. I am posting the one from 2012 as it is my favourite.

I would love to see these two to do a Jack and Jill comp in the States and improvise choreo on the fly to the music with the top US pros. My choice would be to see Fabienne paired with Nick Jay and seeing how she follows his lead and if she would play with him. Or maybe Ben Morris. That that would make me a happy girl. And Lee with Tiatiana Mollman or Tessa Cunningham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVynvWNG2rM

And these two sweet videos that I stumbled on because I had been looking at videos of the dancers who were placing in the top 3.

The first is a 4-year-old dancing her first WCS with her Daddy who is a champion - big dude does not look like a dancer but does well in competitions and I see so many comments on his slippery footwork. This video just makes me smile, how cute is his little one doing a sugar push.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xMVDJQJKgM

And here are her parents social dancing nightclub style a few weeks before she was born. She will :D at this video when she is older seeing her parents doing what they love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BexVOi0w2Fk

Okay, back to DWTS now. The message boards are so dead in between seasons I thought it would be okay for a little tangent.
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Tony won't join the judges' panel on DWTS in Season 21, at least according to the showrunner Rob Wade, who says that Len Goodman probably won't be retiring and even if he did, they could run the show with 3 judges (Bruno, Carrie Ann, Julianne):

http://thetvpage.com/2015/01/15/dwts-len-goodman-not-retiring-producer-says/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Lili. I did chuckle when I saw you'd deleted your other thread (although I hadn't got round to watching all of the clips :(. The one with Benji and partner was fab though). I like the first pair you've posted here, too. Very cool. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elsa wrote: »
    Maybe Tony won't join the judges' panel on DWTS in Season 21, at least according to the showrunner Rob Wade, who says that Len Goodman probably won't be retiring and even if he did, they could run the show with 3 judges (Bruno, Carrie Ann, Julianne):

http://thetvpage.com/2015/01/15/dwts-len-goodman-not-retiring-producer-says/

I'm not sure I want any of the recent pros on the panel especially when they're really close with the current ones. I still don't really agree with Julianne being there. It doesn't even matter if they can manage to stay scrupulously unbiased, it just aggravates the divisions between the fans which is a royal pain in the behind.

Tony seems to have a talent for the candid interviews on the red carpet. I hope he goes in that direction instead. :)
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I want any of the recent pros on the panel especially when they're really close with the current ones. I still don't really agree with Julianne being there. It doesn't even matter if they can manage to stay scrupulously unbiased, it just aggravates the divisions between the fans which is a royal pain in the behind.

Tony seems to have a talent for the candid interviews on the red carpet. I hope he goes in that direction instead. :)

I do agree with this. Julianne was a great judge, both last year and previously as a guest. People complaining because she's Derek's brother just come across as petty and ill-informed :/ I can only imagine the drama of adding another ex-pro, but given the producers seemed to have been touting Cheryl before she left might suggest they'll consider the long standing pros. Maybe Louis Van Amstel, since he suggests he'll be back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Lili. I did chuckle when I saw you'd deleted your other thread (although I hadn't got round to watching all of the clips :(. The one with Benji and partner was fab though). I like the first pair you've posted here, too. Very cool. :cool:

Hi Fridgesoup.

Benji's partner was Trendylon Veal and that was a great WCS with their improvisation dancing to 2 completely different songs given to them. They meshed really well and I don't think they had danced together before.

And just so you can see Lacey dancing with someone other than her brother here is in a J&J comp with Kyle Redd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoiyKjfhU

The first pair I assume you mean the British pros Fabienne and Lee? I spoke too soon and Fabienne did a J&J competition in Budapest dancing with a US pro. I don't know who Lee danced with. Those comps are so different than the showcase dances, no costumes or choreo allowed, just lead-follow and musical interpretation. I just love the J&J, it is so different to watch the same dance being done in a different way. No two are the same.

I would like to start a thread with dances other than ballroom to watch videos and discuss but I don't where it would go since this is a reality show ballroom based. It could include contemporary salsa, AT, etc. It might die a slow death but I could try it. Where do you it might fit in on DS.? This appears to be where dancing is discussed.
  • kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    I do agree with this. Julianne was a great judge, both last year and previously as a guest. People complaining because she's Derek's brother just come across as petty and ill-informed :/ I can only imagine the drama of adding another ex-pro, but given the producers seemed to have been touting Cheryl before she left might suggest they'll consider the long standing pros. Maybe Louis Van Amstel, since he suggests he'll be back.

I think Louis would be a good choice

Tony seems to have a talent for the candid interviews on the red carpet. I hope he goes in that direction instead
    . :)

I agree with bib Julianne can't win and the fact Derek could trip, fall & land in the middle of the floor and still get a 7 doesn't help (& btw i'm a Derek fan but sometimes he can be overscored) so a judge completely separate from the pros would be good

Tony would be great backstage maybe doing the interviews with Lacey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judges aside, perhaps there will be a different dynamic this season with Derek out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lili27 wrote: »
    Judges aside, perhaps there will be a different dynamic this season with Derek out.

Hopefully it will stop the fan arguments but I won't hold my breath. The dynamic will be different without a big pro name; without the well known pros like Derek, Julianne, Maks and Cheryl it will be more open and hopefully Emma will get a good partner for once.

None of the pros even if they brought previous pros back have the fans though 4 does except maybe Emma who gets a least half way no matter how bad her celeb dances (although this didn't help her get a good partner in the twitter swap but then again how much of that is actual twitter votes and how much is tptb's decision is up to debate) and maybe Allison, Lacey and Chelsee who both have big fan bases (earlier season of sytycd did much better in the ratings and these 3 girls were extremely popular on sytycd; Allison more so after the show & her surprise elimination) but divine opinion when it comes to dwts.

I would like Derek to come back to do the Macy's stars of dance and/or pro dance choreographer I know he is too busy with his broadway show this season but maybe in the future as he stated himself after dancing with Amy he been on dwts for many seasons he had various celeb with various dance experience (although no obvious dud) and has been through many challenges especially Amy with two artificial legs maybe it's time to move on but I hope not completely because I would miss his creativity, amazing choreography and his dancing.

When people are voting against a pro because they have won so many times no matter how good the pro or celeb is maybe its time for a change or break unfortunately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kp2ni wrote: »
    Hopefully it will stop the fan arguments but I won't hold my breath. The dynamic will be different without a big pro name; without the well known pros like Derek, Julianne, Maks and Cheryl it will be more open and hopefully Emma will get a good partner for once.

None of the pros even if they brought previous pros back have the fans though 4 does except maybe Emma who gets a least half way no matter how bad her celeb dances (although this didn't help her get a good partner in the twitter swap but then again how much of that is actual twitter votes and how much is tptb's decision is up to debate) and maybe Allison, Lacey and Chelsee who both have big fan bases (earlier season of sytycd did much better in the ratings and these 3 girls were extremely popular on sytycd; Allison more so after the show & her surprise elimination) but divine opinion when it comes to dwts.

I would like Derek to come back to do the Macy's stars of dance and/or pro dance choreographer I know he is too busy with his broadway show this season but maybe in the future as he stated himself after dancing with Amy he been on dwts for many seasons he had various celeb with various dance experience (although no obvious dud) and has been through many challenges especially Amy with two artificial legs maybe it's time to move on but I hope not completely because I would miss his creativity, amazing choreography and his dancing.

When people are voting against a pro because they have won so many times no matter how good the pro or celeb is maybe its time for a change or break unfortunately.

I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other about who comes or goes, but in the most recent five seasons Derek made it to the finals with his partner every time and won twice, so it doesn't seem to me the "anybody but Derek" voters are anywhere near a majority or keeping his partners down to any real extent.

He said more than once he'll always be a part of the show in some way. Rob Wade said they gave Derek permission to do the NY gig but doesn't want him to stay away any longer than that.

But Val has made a name for himself on DWTS, and of course Tony who has been there since Season 2 - the longest-tenured pro in the cast - and Wade made a point of saying there would be familiar faces from previous seasons - Louis Van Amstel said he thinks there is a good chance he'll be back [IMO if not a pro then in a cameo or two]. I don't think they'll be hurting for pro star power.

Seems like they didn't really want Lacey back as pro - and whatever the reasons I'm glad producers don't leak details - but she did well co-hosting the All Access interviews during live shows, and she may be back for that.

One thing I like is the plan to livestream rehearsals at McCadden. Not only will that increase audience participation, but it should lessen the charges that rehearsal packages are scripted and/or don't show a true picture of rehearsals.

I'm looking forward to Season 20!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I like is the plan to livestream rehearsals at McCadden. Not only will that increase audience participation, but it should lessen the charges that rehearsal packages are scripted and/or don't show a true picture of rehearsals.

It will be like the panda cam only with slightly more movement. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see Emma get a young partner who is not rhythmically challenged. If she were to be partnered with a young single attractive dance talented celeb would the producers lead them down showmance lane? ;-)

I have to wonder who will be in the male pro line up. There are only so many spots. Even with Derek out there and if they bring back Louis and Tristan, will Artem be included? I would assume so. Will they offer another season to Henry? I imagine pro announcement will be in late February as they start rehearsals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be like the panda cam only with slightly more movement. :D

Hmmmm. Debatable. Wynona came to mind.....:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see Emma get a young partner who is not rhythmically challenged. If she were to be partnered with a young single attractive dance talented celeb would the producers lead them down showmance lane? ;-)

I have to wonder who will be in the male pro line up. There are only so many spots. Even with Derek out there and if they bring back Louis and Tristan, will Artem be included? I would assume so. Will they offer another season to Henry? I imagine pro announcement will be in late February as they start rehearsals.

I don't think both Henry and Artem will have celeb partners this season I think it will be one or the other but I could be wrong?
    I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other about who comes or goes, but in the most recent five seasons Derek made it to the finals with his partner every time and won twice, so it doesn't seem to me the "anybody but Derek" voters are anywhere near a majority or keeping his partners down to any real extent.

He said more than once he'll always be a part of the show in some way. Rob Wade said they gave Derek permission to do the NY gig but doesn't want him to stay away any longer than that.

But Val has made a name for himself on DWTS, and of course Tony who has been there since Season 2 - the longest-tenured pro in the cast - and Wade made a point of saying there would be familiar faces from previous seasons - Louis Van Amstel said he thinks there is a good chance he'll be back [IMO if not a pro then in a cameo or two]. I don't think they'll be hurting for pro star power.

Seems like they didn't really want Lacey back as pro - and whatever the reasons I'm glad producers don't leak details - but she did well co-hosting the All Access interviews during live shows, and she may be back for that.

I'm looking forward to Season 20!

The "anybody but Derek" comes more into play in the final I didn't mean throughout the show.

Tony is kind of like Anton he always there but usually doesn't get contenders except Stacey who was near the start think she was his first contestant, arguably Chynna but her nerves were a problem and Melissa who stepped in to replace an injured Nancy but yes he has a big fanbase.

I was more talking about being known outside of DWTS or being the first pro you think of. Val I always seen as being on the same level as Mark people know him and respect his choreography but i dont know if Val is fully out of Maks's shadow (even though i like Maks especially with Mel i think Val is a better dancer and choreographer) they don't seem to have the level of fans that Derek or Maks have where you could almost guarantee that they will be in the show for a while longer than some of they deserved but I could be wrong . I thought Danica and possibly Elizabeth should of stayed longer even though they got top 6 and I thought Elizabeth would have done better with another pro.

The other thing was last season there was mentions of old pros returning including Louis but the only pro returning outside the one from the previous year was Lacey doing interviews. I do think there will be ones this season as it is the 20th season and Len's last one, I do find it funny that unlike strictly there are no original pros which is why I think Louis will be back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have to admit I'm a bit worried about Artem. Several times there seemed to be issues between him and Lea - I don't even remember now what they were, only that I thought, "Uh-oh" at the time. From the way Diana Nyad praised Henry to the skies, I hope he gets another shot.

Gleb Savchenko said the Russian DWTS producers decided at the last minute to have all 14 celebrities females, so that gave jobs to 14 male pros. Six is really not very many.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karina is also reportedly leaving.

taken from wet paint interview
    The Dancing Pros Live! tour visited Denver tonight and during a post-show Q&A Karina Smirnoff was asked about the upcoming season of Dancing with the Stars. ‘Dammit,’ she replied with a cheeky grin, clearly not wanting to discuss the show. Given the mic she went on to say, ‘Look, we’re approaching season 20’ and much of the cast is up for contract renewal. The show makes it impossible for the dancers to do anything else as they work seven days a week during filming so they don’t have time for any other endeavors—creative or personal.

Smirnoff added that she didn’t know how many of the cast members would actually return, but that we should expect to see a major overhaul of the show and its pros going into the March 16th premiere. Lastly, she intimated that she herself would not be returning, but that she would continue to love and support Dancing with the Stars.”

Major overhaul? I hope it is in a good way. It is so hard to please everyone though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember when DWTS was like this? A little flashback to season 1. Before Len started taking medication and Bruno and Carrie were calm? When a foxtrot was a foxtrot? What a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcBEojfDp3Y
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err sorry.

Karina posted this on her instagram just to make sure info is correct.
    Tired of my words being misconstrued. If I have an announcement to make, I will make it personally. And I promise that it won't be during a Q&A. So no, these assertions should definitely not be in quotes and are just an attempt for attention. This is in reference to the article that came out of Denver after one of the shows with