Why is it some missing people get more media coverage than others?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
Forum Member
✭✭
The last couple of days there have been 3 people who have gone missing who I know off, including the poor girl from Bristol, however it's only the girl from Bristol who has had any kind of media coverage. Surely there must be missing children every month, yet you only ever see these types of incidents quite rarely on the news.

Comments

• Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    You've answered your own question: they happen all the time, so they don't all get reported.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It only gets reported when it looks like they have been murdered.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As said above if murder is suspected or if police have a genuine concern for the person then it will get more publicity, if the person has a history of running away (and many missing teens do) then it will get less publicity until such time as they are worried for their immediate safety.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    White middle class females tend to get more coverage. It helps if they are pretty. It helps even more if it is slow news time of year like summer.

The media is fairly adept at being led by profit so I can only imagine there are more clicks / sales/ viewers attached to stories featuring missing people who fit that profile. What that tells you about us as a society is a bit depressing really.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends if foul play seems likely and how much the media think the public will care about the missing person. Pretty white women/girls inevitably are the biggest draw.
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

I remember in the 90s a case of a school girl raped and murdered on school trip to France it got tremendous news coverage, at the same time a downs syndrome girl went missing and there was hardly any coverage
    Forum Member
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Its this

I remember in the 90s a case of a school girl raped and murdered on school trip to France it got tremendous news coverage, at the same time a downs syndrome girl went missing and there was hardly any coverage

Yep that's the phenomena I was talking about!! Nice linking:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, some interesting theories. Sometimes it does make you wonder if the news channels secretly crave a negative story as to draw viewers in and $$$.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's more fuss caused if foul play is suspected. That is more likely to involve young children or young women.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A rather ironic thread really, as people were complaining that the media weren't covering the Bristol case - see the first posts in the thread about it down below.

Indeed, she was missing for a week before it really became news, and has only become big news in the past few days with the developments.

And that's explains it really. A standard missing person case, especially a teenager, really isn't newsworthy. Teenagers in particular go missing/running away/forget to update parents all the time. They're usually found within a day or so.

Only when it becomes more 'interesting' does it become more newsworthy.

Secondly, what else is in the news at the time will have a big impact on how much attention any other story gets, about a missing kid or not.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Soham case and Sara Payne cases got especially hyped because the length of time before discovery of bodies allowed time for a media build-up of interest, uncertainty and expectation
    Forum Member
    The Soham case and Sara Payne cases got especially hyped because the length of time before discovery of bodies allowed time for a media build-up of interest, uncertainty and expectation

Both cases were over summer as well I think so a slow news period, which meant that was all that news outlets focused on for a few weeks. They were thought to still be alive for a couple of weeks too, or at least bodies weren't found. A bit of a perfect media storm.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    oh ho ho ho. This is a thread I'd love to spend hours ranting in but I have a feeling I'll hit topics this forum just doesn't allow.

AMAZING QUESTION. AMAZING AMAZING QUESTION.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends if there is suspected foul play or it seems that they left of their own accord
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    The last couple of days there have been 3 people who have gone missing who I know off, including the poor girl from Bristol, however it's only the girl from Bristol who has had any kind of media coverage. Surely there must be missing children every month, yet you only ever see these types of incidents quite rarely on the news.

Who are the other two and what circumstances dis they go missing under?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And becouse of their age. Preteens are unlikely to run off in a strop of their own accord. They are more likely to be involved in a 'tug of love' situation, but that will be known about from the get-go so there's not so much concern from the general public.
  • pat898pat898 Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »

First of all that poor girl Becky R.I.P. I HOPE whoever has done this I hope they rot in jail
    :(

It has taken a long time for Becky's vanishing to be put on the news sadly. I don't know why that is. Perhaps if her parents were middle class doctors she might have got more air time. ;-)
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Its marketing isnt it. It depends on marketable the person is
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    pat898 wrote: »
    First of all that poor girl Becky R.I.P. I HOPE whoever has done this I hope they rot in jail

It has taken a long time for Becky's vanishing to be put on the news sadly. I don't know why that is. Perhaps if her parents were middle class doctors she might have got more air time. ;-)

To be fair, it was about 2 days until it was on the news, locally.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    oh ho ho ho. This is a thread I'd love to spend hours ranting in but I have a feeling I'll hit topics this forum just doesn't allow.

AMAZING QUESTION. AMAZING AMAZING QUESTION.

It's an interesting question, and relevant right now, sure, but not sure it quite counts as "amazing"- it does get asked a lot when there's a big case in the news. No disrespect to the OP- as I say, it's both interesting and relevant- but I think you may be overegging the pudding a little.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pat898 wrote: »

It's a no brainer really with regards to the initial urgency between a very young child going missing and a teenager who might have willingly run away from home. That's what the police have to establish first.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people who go missing either have run away and leave behind a trial or are found within days. Seldom do people go missing leaving no trace whatsoever. Those cases cause suspicion , naturally and are investigated. The press pick up on stories that are being investigated by the police.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Most people who go missing either have run away and leave behind a trial or are found within days. Seldom do people go missing leaving no trace whatsoever. Those cases cause suspicion , naturally and are investigated. The press pick up on stories that are being investigated by the police.

This is all true, but there is a kind of heirarchy of newsworthiness. Same way a war hero getting mugged is more likely to make the news than a random shopper. I guess whether friends and family contact the press themselves is also an issue; not sure on that one, but it seems likely.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Its this

What happenef to the girl with Downs?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the thread about Rebecca Watts been removed?