Sad Story Of Sir Norman Wisdom.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well thats a sob story if ever i heard one should imagine most of its made up. caring for someone with dementia is no easy task and too many people look down on the grown up kids who cant cope, unfortunately most elderly people have to sell there homes to pay for their care and most would be shocked at how much this costs.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fairylight wrote: »
    well thats a sob story if ever i heard one should imagine most of its made up. caring for someone with dementia is no easy task and too many people look down on the grown up kids who cant cope, unfortunately most elderly people have to sell there homes to pay for their care and most would be shocked at how much this costs.

Yes costs can be high and maybe it is necessary for things to be sold to care for him, and in many cases it can be better to admit you cannopt cope and place someone with professionals. But bearing in mind that as his children have power of attorney no one can remove him from the home so whay will they not allow people to vist ?

It doesnt matter if Sir Normans friends agree or disagree there is very little they can do about it , so the family really have no reason to stop people visiting, if it is true it is selfishness of the highest degree and shame on them and let us hope that whatever his condition he lives for many years so that there is bugger all money left for them to have.

On the other hand , it could be that they are not being selfish and that those who have contacted the Daily Mail were friends with ulterior motives , it is known for rich elderly people who become ill lto be prayed upon by others.

None of us know the real story but one would like to think its the latter and that the family have made a decison based on his welfare and to keep fairweather friends at bay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shame to see a funny man end his days in this way. I hope that on his more lucid days he is making the other residents happy with his humour.

As for the family barring friends from seeing him - can't make sense of this. It may be to protect him from "friends" who are no more than aquaintances with other agendas but his closest and dearest friends have as much right to see him as the family. Sometimes those friends mean more to you than family anyway.

I hope by the time I get to 92 (...if) there will be a cure for alzheimers...if not, then I hope voluntary euthanasia is legal by then. I don't want to become a burden on anyone. I am far too independent for that.

A sad story :(
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahcs wrote: »

He does seem happy , so why the hell is in that place, he don't seem that much in need of care , he just needs someone to keep eye on him
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahcs wrote: »

Ahhhh... that's better :)

(I hate the Daily Mail for reporting BS as per usual))
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    Ahhhh... that's better :)

(I hate the Daily Mail for reporting BS as per usual))
    As I suspected tbh.

Those care homes are big bucks. Liquidising his assets makes a lot of sense at this stage of his life

Bless Him.. I hope he stays cheery for a good while yet.
    My uncle had Alzheimers and his life improved a lot once he was in a home, being properly cared for
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see Sir Norman still in good spirits!! :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. He's a regular old trouper!:)
  • (((Hugs)))(((Hugs))) Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    (((Mr Grimsdale)))

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,741
    Forum Member
    His last short film is being released on DVD for £5. £4 of which goes to Macmillan.

http://www.expressofilm.com/
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Wisdom was not always the lovable fool people think, he was infact an awful person, treated people like dirt and was well known for it on the entertainment curcuit for many years, my grandad worked with him in Blackpool theatre and was disgusted with the way Wisdom treated his wife and others around him too, fortunately he did change his ways after his wife left him and openly admitted that it was down to the way he had treated others.
    As far as I remember he then went on to raise the kids himself.
  • DodgerMullinsDodgerMullins Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a complete load of baloney.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Good to see Sir Norman still in good spirits!! :)

One of the best.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a complete load of baloney.
    Of course it is.... the fact that Norman cites that as the reason for his marriage break up in interveiws must also mean that he was speaking baloney about himself too then.

Sorry was it your Grandfather or mine that actually worked with him ?
    Wisdom married his second wife Freda Simpson in October 1947, and they had his only two children: Nicholas (born 1953) and Jacqueline (born 1954). The couple divorced in 1969, and Wisdom was granted full custody of the children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Wisdom#Personal_life
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norman Wisdom once owned a large house in the village where I live. He was always pleasant and friendly, supportive of local charities and institutions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Quite honestly people are getting their fondness for his tv shows and films mixed up with the reality of life. I can't believe that his family are mistreating him for one minute, and people are just annoyed at the fading away of a favourite comedian. Life is short and sweet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    i adore norman wisdom,i met him after a show in blackpool
    (he was 87 then so not that long ago)what a sad thing to happen to such a lovable man,i remember talking to him and he gave me a kiss,signed his book for me.
    what a gent it will be a very sad day indeed when anything happens to him,very sad indeed
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shame to see a funny man end his days in this way. I hope that on his more lucid days he is making the other residents happy with his humour.

As for the family barring friends from seeing him - can't make sense of this. It may be to protect him from "friends" who are no more than aquaintances with other agendas but his closest and dearest friends have as much right to see him as the family. Sometimes those friends mean more to you than family anyway.

I hope by the time I get to 92 (...if) there will be a cure for alzheimers...if not, then I hope voluntary euthanasia is legal by then. I don't want to become a burden on anyone. I am far too independent for that.

A sad story :(

It certainly is a sad story but a fate shared by many.
    Im sure I read that Norman was the biggest british star of the fifties. When all is said and done he has not had a bad stab at life.
  • mickandtichmickandtich Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normans classic 70's ITV comedy series A Little Bit of Wisdom is out on dvd shortly.

I was hoping for some commentaries but judging from whats happened that seems unlikely.

We'll have to savour the commentaries he did for the dvd's of his movies.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PDJames wrote: »
    His last short film is being released on DVD for £5. £4 of which goes to Macmillan.

http://www.expressofilm.com/

Yes. This film was mentioned on news 24 earlier.

Interestingly, "his family" say it will be his last film. I'd have preferred to hear it from him.
  • Mad HatterMad Hatter Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a documentary about Norman and his family some time ago. Because Norman's faithful P.A., herself past retiring age wanted to retire, Norman's son and daughter in law and Norman's daughter got together and arranged to share Norman's care. I can recall his daughter saying it would kill Dad if we put him in a home. Norman was a little forgetful and at that age, who wouldnt be. Norman's daughter in law went to Norman's house to care for him for a certain length of time then Norman was going to go back to her house for a while then the daughter was also going to look after him. They could not cope with Norman not because of his forgetfulness, it was having him around when they had such busy lives and Norman had been used to attention on a 1 to 1 basis with his P.A.

When Norman went in the home, his family controlled his visitors and I dont think they allowed any - they said they were concerned people would take advantage of him.

The programme showed Norman playing the piano and singing and his family said how much the home suited him as he enjoyed an audience to entertain.

I felt really upset seeing how Norman's family treated him. Generally speaking and considering how old he was when the programme was made, all he needed was care within his own home and yes, surely they could afford that.

I dont know of Norman's circumstances now.

I felt so upset, I was going to write to his family and tell them what I thought of them, but I never did.
  • hotdiggity1hotdiggity1 Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole thread was started in relation to that documentary which itself triggered newspaper stories .

You're 3 years late.

But the great man is still here and you can savour 2 of his B&W classics next week on BBC2 and you just missed the C4 documentary about him , Heroes of Comedy on More4.

Gold may show it again but they edit 5 minutes from each episode of HOC
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just been on his website and they have had to sell his home and various items Norman has collected, but it seems his disease is getting worse. This was posted on this website
    Unfortunately Sir Norman's Illness has now taken away most of his memories and he no longer understands many things that we take for granted - he no longer recognises his family, but Sir Norman is still happy and finds enjoyment with making people smile and has many friends within Abbotswood that love to have a sing song with Norman.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Did anyone read the very, very sad story about the present state of Norman Wisdom?

OK, I read it in the Daily Mail, but there must be some truth in it.

Apparently Norman has the early stages of Alzheimer's and is in a slightly confused state. His (grown-up) children have taken it on themselves to put Norman into a care home, sold off parts of his property, taken control of his money, sold his beloved cars, have not allowed him access to his personal possessions and have forbade visits by his old friends. His room in the care home is, by all accounts, very stark with a hard single bed and plastic furniture - he has recently been allowed two of his own comfy chairs in. Big deal!

Well, we obviously don't know the full facts and no doubt they don't wish to harm their Dad.....but.....I just feel so sad that this genuinely lovely man who provided so much innocent fun and laughter throughout my childhood, has ended up in this bleak situation.

I just wish his friends would group together, break him out of there and keep him safe somewhere so he can end his days surrounded by people and belongings that are dear to him.

He deserves more than this.

Did anyone else see the story and what are your opinions?

If that's true then it is horrible. :(